Fencing is a MARTIAL ART not a SPORT

After a three year absence from fencing, I recently got permission to fence with the Baylor University team. I do this to stay in shape, and the real purpose - keeping my hand, eye, and mind "sharp".

I'm 42, and I'm going up against people literally half my age - and I am holding my own. One of the things I've been forced to do is to get more analitical, and watch my opponents for set patterns, and telegraphs. This translates directly to street combat in "awareness" points alone. Besides, 97.435% of sabre (combat type) translates into cane technique.

I have no electric equipment, but can always find someone to go off in the corner with, and get more than a few passes in. They get warmed up for their electric matches, and I get my practice too.

I love sabre, but after reading Nick Evangelista's article on the importance of foil (In Ferro Veritas .com) I'm really making an effort to do more foil. Nick's got a few books out I heartily recommend - Art and Science of Fencing, Inner game of Fencing, and Fighting with Sticks.

In short, seek out the combat techniques within each weapon, and use the limitations of rules to make yourself a more controled fencer, and all around better fighter. -Brian

Well, this is rigbt up my alley. I had first done sport fencing for 7 years (1 foil, 6 epee) starting when I was 12. I then spent the next 10 years doing 're-creation' fencing at festivals and with groups like the SCA and MSR. With 7 years of sport fencing behind me, there were no re-creation fencers with more knowledge or skill than me in my area and so I became very bored. Fortunately, that's when I discovered the Martinez Academy and have been there for the past 4 years. We, in conjuction with some individuals from some other schools, formed the Association for Historical Fencing (AHF www.ahfi.org) to serve the needs of the martial fencing community better. I'm also in chagre of seminars for the AHF so if there are topics that the community wants to see covered or if anyone wishes to host one of our events, please let me know.

Chris

Christopher J Umbs
Martinez Academy of Arms, CdS
Instructor of Italian rapier

Back