Fiddleback User Weekend May 5-7, Hiawassee, GA - Schedule Posted

We've all been having way too much fun to be posting much, but there will be pictures to share. It rained a good bit yesterday but was very nice this morning until mid afternoon.

Knife skills, knots, lashings, kits, fire making, lots of good fun had so far.

The two in my pictures are Justen and Matt.

I arrived home safe and sound a couple of hours ago. I had a fantastic weekend and was very happy to finally meet everyone and put names to faces. Just a really great group of people.

I am really looking forward to seeing the pictures (of which I was extremely lax...sorry) that are sure to start popping up soon . I want to throw out a huge, huge thanks to Justen for the idea and organizing everything. Even with the weather, everything went smoothly and the weekend just flew. Also thank you Kevin Estela for sharing a little bit of what you know with the group. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sign me up for next year. :thumbsup:
Jim

Last edited:
5k8WQcj.jpg

Did a little practicing last night. I have to practice knots a bunch or I will forget them. This tripod will probably end up being a table to use out by the fire pit.

5k8WQcj.jpg

Did a little practicing last night. I have to practice knots a bunch or I will forget them. This tripod will probably end up being a table to use out by the fire pit.

Awesome Theo! Way to start putting the knowledge to work right away!

I'm sitting in the Atlanta airport now, thinking about the last few days. I couldn't be more pleased that I decided to make the trip out for this event. So many great stories and laughs shared around the campfire. My head and abs were sore from laughing so much on Friday night.

Thank you Justen for arranging this and accommodating me this weekend I had a blast. Thank you Kevin for the helpful and entertaining instruction. Thank you everyone for sharing, hanging out, and chatting this weekend. Thank you Andy and Fiddleback for creating the connecting point for all of this. It was great to meet all of you.

Can't wait until the next one.

BP 2.JPG WAS Arrow.JPG Wow, what a weekend! I've been reflecting over the past 72 hours for a good bit of the morning and I'm still trying to come up with the words to adequately describe the experience from this weekend, so I'll have to follow up later when I can better articulate the event. Unfortunately, unless you were not there, whatever text you read or photos you see will fall considerably short of the experience. Really looking forward to seeing what photos Mistwalker has for us, but here are a few I had taken from the weekend.

Our bamboo haul to use throughout the weekend.
Couple shots of the campsites
Instruction time
Making Fire
Putting it all together
Archery contest for a sweet knife
Next year's contest knife, hand forged by Crex

Bamboo.JPG RB2.JPG Campsite.JPG Instruction.JPG KE 2.JPG Andy Fire.JPG Figure 4.JPG

Attachments

• Knots.JPG
    Knots.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 9
I wish I had more time to jot down my thoughts, but I'm moving furniture all day. Suffice to say I had a blast, my boys loved every minute, and I'm already making plans for our next adventure.

Thanks to everyone, especially Justen, Kevin, and Andy. Wonderful to reunite with old friends, and finally meet Orion, Jim, Harlan, and the rest of the gang.

Got a lot to do today, but I'll be checking this thread regularly for pics and comments. And my scandi KEBushie ain't so pretty anymore! Hell yeah!

I really have no words to describe how awesome this weekend was. Huge thank you to Justen, Kevin, Andy and everyone else that was there. Great time and great meeting everyone!

Russell

all I can do right now is to echo the words above. This was a total blast of a good time with the best group of guys, that I can now say are my buds. Looking forward to Blade and especially fall Trackrock to get together again. Can't wait to move till we move to Pensacola which I'll only be 4-5 hours away. Thanks Andy, Kevin and all.

Justen you are the man and I'm really glad to have such a class act dude that I can call a friend. Job well done over the top.

Pics and drone video coming in the next day or so!!!!

This is great!

Anyone care to put some names to the faces?

~ P.

I'll give it a shot here... starting left and working across the back row first.

Brian and his daughter, The mistwalker
Mike, MiBo71, I think?
Theo and Carmen, theobetts
Bob, Bmurray
Allen, of WA Surls knives
Robert, that FiddlebackOutpost guy
Orion, yours truly
Matt, Justen's neighbor
Russell, Cohutta, up and coming knife maker!
Harland, PolRoger
Rob, owner of Exotac

Middle row starting in front of Theo.

Keegan, Tony's son.
Noah, ndmiller
Justen, event organizer extraordinaire
Adam, Bob's son
Andy Roy, the one and only
Phillip, that dude that's always dealing with our questions and such
Jim, heat treat
Carl, crex, finally got to see some of his stunning forged knives

To the front.

Kevin, k_estela our instructor for the weekend
Luca and Tony, Luca917

Last edited:
From left: Billy Bob, Laverne, Samson, Betty Jo Bialosky, Schmidt, Reuben, Jebedi, Harry, Bob, Petr Petrovitch, Kylo Ren, Bambi, Luca, Nikolay, Ron, Ivan, Terry, Mad Dog, Jarool, Adrien, Dumbledore, Jimmy, Kreet, and Zephian

We did some knot tying while taking shelter from the rain. Here you see one example of the usefulness of a Prusik knot. The knife is one of Russell's that I happened to be trying out. Very nice. :thumbsup:

gPR2whKl.jpg

We did some knot tying while taking shelter from the rain. Here you see one example of the usefulness of a Prusik knot. The knife is one of Russell's that I happened to be trying out. Very nice. :thumbsup:
I like how you didn't elaborate on what the stated purpose was or the example given... ;)

And nice photo.

Back