Field Sharpening

Hete's my 'on the go' sharpening system I described above, strip of plywood with leather glued to one side, loaded with some polishing compound.

And a diamond plate #1000 grit glued to the other side.

Usually stropping is sufficient for my outdoor trips.

That's a nice combo. A bit big for a not-car-supported trip, but easy enough to keep in the vehicle when getting around.

That's a nice combo. A bit big for a not-car-supported trip, but easy enough to keep in the vehicle when getting around.
I find for a good stropping/sharpening a bit of length makes things alot easier. That's why i like it.

I have one of these tiny ceramic/diamond combo stones, good for emergency repair of chips or rolls. Fits in a Becker sheath pocket.

AIL4fc_mVUIKRpnvH2CzkWaDYDyn3T4HIfDFw8P_Zwy9dnEECL2VE31qEYl-pq-UmMA2is4nggWdfTEhtt-RyQB1e9O8NqXwYKomwkwAjCckrMgU7krV2RCw=w900

C0H4yLyIeFFK.jpg

I always kept a mini strop and dmt diafold cards with me...but ever since getting this worksharp field sharpener...its all I use. Weights nothing, and has ceramic rod (coarse/fine), diamond stone (coarse fine), strop with compound...it rules. Everything is removable and replaceable so it works for axes and machetes all the same.

I keep a diamond rod in my wallet and will put a small accusharp diamond sharpener or similar in my bk2 factory sheath when I get around to it.

DC4 (usually just the ceramic side), and a pocket strop for me. I save my spyderco ceramic pocket stone for home sharpening.

Like having the option of diamonds if needed.

Oh, I got one more... :)
This litle triangular ceramic rod was also in one of my bags, for field sharpening.
One side has 2 ridges in it for sharpening fishhooks(?), and the different corners are rounded in a different radius for different size serrations.
The rubber caps come of easily if you want.
Great to get some dents out of your edge after hitting something hard on the go. (don't ask :p)

ADCreHc0PlxlN3LfQ5vj6X89niaKRIm6tNwGlJGJai4xjtPjMVv6p_Rx46mQBktAokF-X3OHiul6NfQZJoPQQmGU9du2J3FodCYnY5DIHizlKZdaMw368eml=w900

Last edited:
Back