Field testing the new finish...

Finally united with the rest of the family... Let the weekend beating begin! ;)

d4a85818ae6c66fab4600eb55008f22f.jpg

I don't own any Survive! (Is the exclamation point part of the name?) knives, but I've wondered about them for a while... And that's a darn good looking knife. Looks super utilitarian.

Technically, I don't have any car right now. Guy is my chauffeur. But if we are getting a diamond-incrusted helicopter I'm sure we can also afford flying lessons, so there will be none of this "dropped off" nonsense.

Lol! :thumbup: Good for you sister, I hope you guys get all that and more.

Wow Silver, not messing around at all! Thanks for posting these pics, really tells the story well. It's funny, SK was already a bargain in every way, a great line of knives in every way...but these Starters and all of the knives to follow really are going to be a noticeable step up in refinement and quality.....not to even mention the design improvements Guy has enacted, and they lowered their prices on some models! If they are able to solve the supply side of the equation, Guy & Ellie are going to own the knife industry. Instead of her '97 Civic, Ellie's going to be dropped off at the shop each day in their diamond-incrusted helicopter.
It's as if Guy used the new engraver to make a tiny target on the head of a nail. This comment not only hit the nail on the head but got a perfect bullseye. I could not agree more! Also lol about the diamond copter :D

All of the new spec models, including the GSO-5.1, will be to the new heat treat protocol. There are a few more blades going out for field testing, but we have been really pleased with it in house. So we are planning to move forward with the new heat treat as the standard.

Yep, the tumbling media was too large to get in there and clean up in the jimping slots. The blasting media does not have the same problem.

Technically, I don't have any car right now. Guy is my chauffeur. But if we are getting a diamond-incrusted helicopter I'm sure we can also afford flying lessons, so there will be none of this "dropped off" nonsense.
Excellent information and love the sense of humor.

Finally united with the rest of the family... Let the weekend beating begin! ;)

d4a85818ae6c66fab4600eb55008f22f.jpg
Awesome family there. Enjoy it! Can't wait to see results and hear your thoughts.

I don't own any Survive! (Is the exclamation point part of the name?) knives, but I've wondered about them for a while... And that's a darn good looking knife. Looks super utilitarian.
Yeah man, we require the ! and also all caps :p or S! or SK....
Super utilitarian sums it up! Check out the website and see what's available for your ordering pleasure. Do it!
www.surviveknives.com

So, you're probably getting tired of hearing how crisp the new finish is, but really, it's like night and day compared to the old one! Inspired by Silver's post here's a few side-by-sides...

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

Like comparing a dot-matrix printer to a laser printer!

IMG_1401.jpg

I started the day by some pruning and chopping down some saplings. Not the right tool for the job, but it worked great. :) Half inch saplings go down like cutting butter...

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

Got some stains from the sap... will see how well they clean up...

IMG_1415.jpg

I did a feather stick too, but it was so ugly I can't show it here... My fault, not the knife. :)

Time for some batoning instead!

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

This one was seriously hard, for a while I thought I wouldn't be able to beat it hard enough with the other log.

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

Time for a break!

IMG_1490.jpg

Cooking dinner... Chicken wings! I usually use my 5.1 for cutting up the chicken, but the 4.1 is more handy!

IMG_1505.jpg

And then time to clean up after a busy day...

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

Like new... almost. :)

But is it still sharp?

IMG_1504.jpg

Hell yeah! Not crazy sharp as it was out of the box, but cuts newspaper with ease!

The main edge looks perfect. Not a single nick in it. But the edge rolled a little bit, which is odd since I probably used that part the least. Either it was the sausage against rock or maybe the geometry of the edge was much thinner after the sharpening. No chips though, so with a little bit of steel I think it should be ok.

IMG_1509.jpg

So far I'm really, really impressed with the blade! Not a single scratch in the finish. Love it!

Great work, ni1s! Looks like fun :)

Now, whenever it ends up happening, I'll be interested in seeing what the finish looks like after a full day of work when it is cleaned up.

Also, how does the finish feel when you run your fingers over it? Are the peen marks deep enough to make it feel like a mat finish or coating? I was surprised how smooth the original tumbled finish is.

Great work, ni1s! Looks like fun :)

Now, whenever it ends up happening, I'll be interested in seeing what the finish looks like after a full day of work when it is cleaned up.

Also, how does the finish feel when you run your fingers over it? Are the peen marks deep enough to make it feel like a mat finish or coating? I was surprised how smooth the original tumbled finish is.

In the middle of post 49 you'll see it cleaned up after today. Or do you mean after an even longer day of work? ;)

The finish definitely feels less smooth than the original cloating. Maybe more like a mat finish than a coating, but it's not grippy at all, still smooth.

And I can verify that the spine throws sparks from a fire steel! I'm sure the ferro notch is more efficient, but this spine is good enough for me.

7b8db70f359b56cc0c727c83db157ec0.jpg

In the middle of post 49 you'll see it cleaned up after today. Or do you mean after an even longer day of work? ;)

The finish definitely feels less smooth than the original cloating. Maybe more like a mat finish than a coating, but it's not grippy at all, still smooth.

Weird, when I viewed this thread there were no posts 49 or 50. My question looks quite silly coming in after the nice pictures on those posts.

I have my answer! Great round of usage with the knife. You and Guy should be very pleased with those results!

The main edge looks perfect. Not a single nick in it. But the edge rolled a little bit, which is odd since I probably used that part the least. Either it was the sausage against rock or maybe the geometry of the edge was much thinner after the sharpening. No chips though, so with a little bit of steel I think it should be ok.

IMG_1509.jpg

So far I'm really, really impressed with the blade! Not a single scratch in the finish. Love it!

That's a really interesting photo, thank you for sharing it. I'd assume the rocks as well, but did you wiggle the edge in the joints of the chicken-bones at all? I'm just surprised by that.

I also impressed by how rough the new finish looks compared to the smooth stonewash... evidently not rough enough to cause much drag and prevent an easy cleaning :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing you findings and thoughts on the new finish. I too am a bit surprised by the folding of the edge, but as you point out, the fix is straight forward.

Back