Field testing the new finish...

Hmmm, not sure I like the new finish. When I did my preorder, I did not notice that the finish would be different. Bummer.

Hmmm, not sure I like the new finish. When I did my preorder, I did not notice that the finish would be different. Bummer.

It does look different and I can't really make you like it, but just know that Guy only changes things if it is making an improvement. The new look is a better knife!

cg always puts them through the wringer to see how they will behave. What he finds, he reports.

Bumping again to add some more photos from earlier this fall. The knife has since been used to field-dress a whitetail, among my other random tasks for it. I took a few shots to try to catch the limited scratching visible at certain angles - the scratches are most likely the effects of cutting through the metal can and dirty carpet or from digging in the sand/dirt as seen in the video posted above:

P1030897.JPG

P1040029.JPG

P1040032.JPG

P1040030.JPG

P1040031.JPG

P1040091.JPG

P1040092.JPG

P1040093.JPG

May these shots help tide others over until the arrival of pre-orders :cool:

Random bump, as many of us continue to wait :) No new GSO-5.1 here yet.

HOWEVER, I realized just now that I have two very similar photos comparing the previous tumbled/stonewash finish to the new peened finish:

Tumbled:
IMG_0638.JPG

Peened:
P1030780.JPG

Random bump, as many of us continue to wait :) No new GSO-5.1 here yet.

HOWEVER, I realized just now that I have two very similar photos comparing the previous tumbled/stonewash finish to the new peened finish:

That is also a great picture to show the old vs new engraving.

Just love the look of the new finish. I had initially preferred the tumbled finish but the new peened finishing has grown on me. It seems quite lasting alright from all the abuse you got it through Chiral.

Just love the look of the new finish. I had initially preferred the tumbled finish but the new peened finishing has grown on me. It seems quite lasting alright from all the abuse you got it through Chiral.

I have to agree. I thought I'd like the old finish better too.

I have to agree. I thought I'd like the old finish better too.

That was my only worry with the new designs and why I waited to order mine until after "real" photos...I really like both finishes and love the new etching! Can't wait to bang on the 5.1

That was my only worry with the new designs and why I waited to order mine until after "real" photos...I really like both finishes and love the new etching! Can't wait to bang on the 5.1

They're still doing the old finish on request, right?

They're still doing the old finish on request, right?

For now we are trying to be as efficient as possible which means cutting back on some options. Once we have preorders out and things are more under control in house, we plan to open up a new Series. That will be the place for the best of blades and all the customization options we can dream up. There may be an occasional Guy Custom thrown in as well.

The old finish was being done elsewhere so we won't be going back to that exactly. However, we are looking at picking up a tumbler and coming up with our own way of doing that.

For now we are trying to be as efficient as possible which means cutting back on some options. Once we have preorders out and things are more under control in house, we plan to open up a new Series. That will be the place for the best of blades and all the customization options we can dream up. There may be an occasional Guy Custom thrown in as well.

The old finish was being done elsewhere so we won't be going back to that exactly. However, we are looking at picking up a tumbler and coming up with our own way of doing that.

Sounds very cool! I totally understand wanting to get the knives out as quickly as possible and then easing into other options.

I guess that means you're not PVD coating my 2 like we talked about [emoji12].

Happy New Year, man! [emoji109]

Back