Finishing the unfinished EDC 4 (photo heavy)

There was some interest in following this, so I' thought I'd start a new thread for you guys. As always, this is in no way a solicitation for work. Just sharing the fun and joy in my hobby. Questions and comments are always welcome.

Here are some WIP photos of the project I'm doing with the unfinished EDC 4 that recently surfaced. These blanks came from the old oak tree at the end of the movie "Shawshank Redemption". The blanks are pretty wormy and full of holes, but they have been stabilized. I laminated black micarta spacers. The blank I picked was the most solid and had lots of interesting character.

20171011_204728.jpg 20171013_200828.jpg

The owner asked me to add a little more thickness to the front of the handle compared to a typical S!K handle. After consulting a little bit, we decided to implement more of a bushcraft style handle. I'll put just a little flare to it, and we also decided to fully capture the lanyard hole with the handle, and include a lanyard tube. All pins are stainless and brass mosaic, and the tube is stainless.

20171013_195622.jpg
20171013_210759.jpg
20171013_211634.jpg

We kicked around the idea of eliminating the back pin but have decided to add it. I'll work on that next. After grinding everything flush I am going to tumble the blade. It was only ever taken to the rough grind so it needs some help. After tumbling I'll glue it all up.

The 3rd mosaic pin has been added. At first I was concerned it was going to get too busy at the tail end, but I think it will look good after adding it.

20171014_201023.jpg

With everything only dry fit, I ground everything flush to the tang of the knife.

20171014_203248.jpg
20171014_203307.jpg
20171014_203318.jpg

Then sanding to polish up the areas that can't be sanded after gluing.
20171014_214320.jpg

20171014_214244.jpg

Last edited:
The contouring really brings those grips together, awesome work as usual Tony.
That spalted oak has a lot going on with an interesting history, heirloom quality.

Good call on the pins, very classy.

Looking forward to seeing how the modded front end of the handle looks on the blade.

Excellent work with a beautifully figured chunk of lumber!
Looks fantastic!!
Joe

You truely do some beautiful work. I love seeing your posts showing your personalization or customization of your knives.

Beautiful wood and work.

JJ

TRfromMT TRfromMT Wow! That is looking amazing. The blade shape and new handle make it look very bushcrafty to me!

I was anxious to see what the lanyard hole would look like. That is a unique feature indeed.

If you know what's good for you, you'll have plenty of shots from various angles when you're finished :D

thanks, 91bravo 91bravo
The blank was pretty thin to get a set of scales if I split it, but I really wanted to get a good book matched set. I had another block from the same section of the tree that was a good match, but wouldn't have been a book matched set. Problem was to get the full thickness I had to use 3/16" micarta. Thicker than I would have liked. Anyway, after I laminated everything then split it down the middle, the book matching looks NOTHING alike! Crazy how the grain patter changed on these in just the thickness of my saw blade! Might as well of gone with both the blocks (and thinner micarta liners) and not worried about the book matching.

OK, here is the mostly finished knife. It hasn't been sharpened, and I have a few more steps to finish this up, then it's off for leather. But you get the idea. I have access to an industrial stone wash tumbler :) so I was able to put a simple stone was finish on the blade.

pyEEYWHl.jpg

VHmXpB5l.jpg

oIfhTNkl.jpg

tzDVNnFl.jpg

nJN8kill.jpg

90FDIrjl.jpg

jtm1mUNl.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Silver Needle Silver Needle
It is just slightly thicker than a typical GSO handle, with about the same amount of contouring as the new generation handles (and of course the bushcrafter style front end). I have done this shape and handle front end (just the slightest flare) and have come to really like it. This handle style works so well for me on smaller blades that do not have a guard. Seems to lend itself well to this knife, too. The balance point is just behind the index finger, in front of your middle finger - it is slightly more handle heavy than the original versions.

I also left it with a sharp spine so it can scrape tinder or throw a spark.

Thanks Silver Needle Silver Needle
It is just slightly thicker than a typical GSO handle, with about the same amount of contouring as the new generation handles (and of course the bushcrafter style front end). I have done this shape and handle front end (just the slightest flare) and have come to really like it. This handle style works so well for me on smaller blades that do not have a guard. Seems to lend itself well to this knife, too. The balance point is just behind the index finger, in front of your middle finger - it is slightly more handle heavy than the original versions.

I also left it with a sharp spine so it can scrape tinder or throw a spark.
Sounds great!

Did you take any pics from directly above to show off the contouring?

In the eyes of some, it's probably a good thing I won't own this knife. If I did it would live in a glass case somewhere prominent and never feel the exhilaration of prepping a fire or a lunch.

Back