Finishing the unfinished EDC 4 (photo heavy)

Hey all! I'm back at it. The owner of the Shaw shank EDC4 had a small block of the spalted oak from the Shawshank tree and recently came into a 3.5 and asked me to recreate it as the little brother companion to the EDC4 we did.

It will get pins and epoxy like the first one, and I am going to shape the front of the scales along the same lines with just a touch more thickness.

Wish me luck!

20180308_201317~01.jpg 20180310_092348~01.jpg

I have the liners laminated to the blanks. I used 1/8" micarta, then ground them down to .080" as I wanted them just a touch thicker than 1/16". On the first knife the liners were also on the thick side, so I wanted these to be proportionally similar.

20180312_220812~01.jpg 20180312_220843~01.jpg

Next I have to match drill them to the tang and machine the lanyard pocket, then the careful fitting to the profile of the tang.

That turned out very nice Tony. Those dark liners and the fill in gaps of the mosaic pins being dark go well with the spalting lines in the oak scales.

That turned out very nice Tony. Those dark liners and the fill in gaps of the mosaic pins being dark go well with the spalting lines in the oak scales.

Thanks Psy. The EDC4 above and this one are 2 of 3 knives I've ever done (besides a few personal blades) that I'd really like to keep. Having a hard time putting this down. Hoping it can come back to me someday.

Your blackfeather is the other one.

Amazing, TRfromMT TRfromMT , you've done it again! What a beautiful piece. Has the owner said if these are user blades? I know that's the intent with the blade design, but those handles really are art.

Back