Finnish/Earlier Scandi axes - Kirves

Saw this on ebay. I don't really think I want to buy it:rolleyes:, but curious about the manufacturer. Google has not been my friend today.:mad:

Anyone have any information?

HvaSQMH.jpg

Bob

From above:
"PURMO was founded in 1953 in the Finnish town of Purmo, near Jacobstad by three entrepreneurs. It initially began as a bow saw manufacturer but in 1956 relocated to Jacobstad and expanded into garden furniture, snow clearing equipment and farming tools. At the end of the 1950s the PURMO brand was well established and the company bought a small radiator manufacturer in the area called Terjårv Wårme. The PURMO radiator soon became a market leader and, in the 70s, was bought by the Rettig Group. The company’s name was changed to Rettig Vårme and the factory moved to Peders in Jacobstad, where it is still based today, producing 900,000 units each year."

"farming tools" presumably including axes?

Rettig Vårme:
https://svenska.yle.fi/artikel/2014/05/15/purmoradiatorerna-lever-evigt
PUBLISHED 15.05.2014 - 12:35. UPDATED15.05.2014 - 12:56
14-svyle-17593853745c1f8e7be.jpg

"The company's first product was Purmosågen - a bow saw that had a striking approach. The predecessor had a bow made of wood, but Purmosågen was made of metal"

Bob

From above:
"PURMO was founded in 1953 in the Finnish town of Purmo, near Jacobstad by three entrepreneurs. It initially began as a bow saw manufacturer but in 1956 relocated to Jacobstad and expanded into garden furniture, snow clearing equipment and farming tools. At the end of the 1950s the PURMO brand was well established and the company bought a small radiator manufacturer in the area called Terjårv Wårme. The PURMO radiator soon became a market leader and, in the 70s, was bought by the Rettig Group. The company’s name was changed to Rettig Vårme and the factory moved to Peders in Jacobstad, where it is still based today, producing 900,000 units each year."

"farming tools" presumably including axes?

Rettig Vårme:
https://svenska.yle.fi/artikel/2014/05/15/purmoradiatorerna-lever-evigt
PUBLISHED 15.05.2014 - 12:35. UPDATED15.05.2014 - 12:56
14-svyle-17593853745c1f8e7be.jpg

"The company's first product was Purmosågen - a bow saw that had a striking approach. The predecessor had a bow made of wood, but Purmosågen was made of metal"

Bob

Thank you Bob. I saw that one and was curious as well.

I'm endeavoring to make a handle for this larger piilu kirves but I need to cut my wood to length with 10-15% excess. Based off pictures from listings, Finnish forums, videos, and the example I have of a smaller one here, I am thinking the overall length is approximately, more or less, 2.5x-3x the length of the head’s collar to handle.

The smaller one measures 7.5” from eye to the end of the collar. That would be 22.5” but actual length is 23” – pretty close to the 3X estimate.

The bigger one is 10.5” (with collar reduced from previous beatings and then a fix via hand filing). Given that the proportions of the heads’ builds are more or less the same in regards to scale, should the larger one’s handle be roughly 31.5” finished? Maybe an inch or two shorter? (The 10-15% previously mentioned "excess" being the tongue, swell, or both in reduction).

Gauging.piilus

They seem like tools that are used fairly close to a guy’s body, with the right hand up on/near the collar and the left hand on the neck/swell to essentially pull into the work or maintain the head in line with the surface being planed – assuming you are right handed but since there is no offset so then it is essentially the same for either propensity.

I tried my damnedest to not seat this thing beyond pushing it in there by hand but it won’t come out now without messing up the tongue. Couple of beers and knocking it once lightly on the bench set it on there pretty well.

Probably should be happy that it’s hung but it poses a problem for shipping to the Leather Master now lol.

I know some are probably “Kirves Fatigued” with these travails but I’ve tried to contain it...

Big.piilu

Still needs work.

Back