1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Finnish/Earlier Scandi axes - Kirves

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Agent_H, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Storvik

I think it wants a new handle.

2. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    Every axe wants a new handle, the question is when.
    This re-steeled Larsson axe is even better than the warehoused unused ones the company is promoting now. Even with that less than pristine seam at the socket's closure it's an excellent specimen.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    A17, Agent_H and ithinkverydeeply like this.
  3. veeteetee

veeteetee

Aug 9, 2008
    What makes it better?

A17 likes this.
  4. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    This is more than anything my completely subjective opinion which includes how much I like the pattern, that it shows the signs of its use and maintenance, that it was made and restored with skill and no pretense, also my preference for a composite composition for any axe and so on and so forth...

ithinkverydeeply, A17 and Agent_H like this.
  5. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    Another sharp chunk of old Swedish axe. It’s missing its poll but I am not “missing” its poll, if that makes sense. I am unsure what you call the pattern in general but it has a “piilu” feel to it but with a thicker collar with less taper – maybe that is what drew me in.
    The overall bit construction is pretty interesting. Maybe someone can id the wood better but I thought it might be Ash.

[​IMG]
    Timmerthing

[​IMG]
    Timmerthing

[​IMG]
    Timmerthing

[​IMG]
    Timmerthing

[​IMG]
    Timmerthing

garry3, Hairy Clipper, Meek1 and 7 others like this.
  6. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Wow what an interesting axe... that shape in the bit is so... is so... interesting! I can't tell what the heck is going on there. The grain does look like the ash family for sure. Great find!

7. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    It's the poor man's archaic timmeryxa. The poor man's my characterization the archaic timmeryxa, Marcus Lepola's. But in fact I call it gnomic because of the way mine looks, yours being a bit more handsome. [​IMG]
    I've said it before here but these are very fun axes to use, so forgiving, and give you that random faceted surface.[​IMG]
    Yes, the handle it could be ash.

8. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    Another one from Sweden.
    [​IMG]
    HB.carpenter

[​IMG]
    HB.carpenter

[​IMG]HB.carpenter

Not as old as some but it's full-bitted and fits the style of a "Westergötland" model of sorts. It will get a nice handle and be used.

garry3, Fmont, rjdankert and 7 others like this.
  9. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    ^^^
    Beautiful, man!

10. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    I am looking at making a handle for this Hults Bruk axe:
    [​IMG]
    I've seen similar models described in literature as "västgötayxa" in some catalogs, HB's rendition being the "Westergötland", and a similar version in the following 1913 Kölefors Bruk, "Svartlackerand" (that one without a nail slot). They all may be distinctly different patterns that I am just not familiar with enough to draw solid distinctions.
    That last catalog example seems to have the recess integrated into the eye instead of set in front of it as in the one I acquired.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In general, a larger carpentry axe? A short and mildly straight handle without a swell to speak of?

11. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Can't answer any of your questions but that is a handsome axe! Those styles are growing on me and that is a fine example imo.
    I've been avoiding buying anything made outside of the U.S. But my reasoning is sound... If I start buying foreign made ones I'll have to have one of each of them too! Normally people need a smaller house once their kid(s) move out. I need a bigger one! Haha.

Trailsawyer, rjdankert, Fmont and 3 others like this.
  12. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    That would be my interpretation. I think your existing handle with less of a hump under the eye is better suited to the task than the catalog handle. It may be an advance HB made later when better wood was available.

I think some increase in handle thickness at the swell is warranted. Most carpentry axes have that. Your existing handle slims considerably below the eye. I can't image it stayed that slim to the end of the haft.

13. veeteetee

veeteetee

Aug 9, 2008
    BTW, "svartlackerad" means "black lacquered" and "polerad" means "polished" in Swedish.

14. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    thank you @veeteetee

Do you know the accepted name of the pattern by any chance?

Miller '72, Yankee Josh and Fmont like this.
  15. veeteetee

veeteetee

Aug 9, 2008
    Miller '72, rjdankert and Agent_H like this.