Firebox Stove, tell me about it.

Joe Duder

Gold Member
Thinking of buying one. It is more expensive than a lot of others like it.

I have two children. They're three and five years old. I'm looking to do short hikes (1-2 mile tops) with them, gather wood and cook firebox meals. I'm just starting to get into bushcraft/self reliance type activities. I am very intrigued and I'm looking forward to learning more and teaching my children this craft.

I know the Firebox stove is heavy, but we're not hiking far. I'm willing to carry a heavier piece of kit if it performs well. I'm trying to avoid a stove that has a lot of separate pieces. I'm looking for hinged pieces.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Given my ‘druthers, I carry an Emberlit. But it has no hinges.

The Vargo Titanium Hexagon Wood Stove does, and it’s light besides. I’ve never used one, and have no idea how well it works.

With kids that young, go light. You have to carry enough for all three.
I use a Vargo, & it works for me. I don't cook meals though, I mostly boil water to add to dried meals. The kids have used it for toasting marshmallows succesfully.

Firbox is excellent. It is very versatile. It is very sturdy. It is very efficient. But it is very heavy, which is the only drawback. I like it a lot, use it mostly when car camping. If I were to hike long distance I might consider the Emberlit, which I plan to get anyway.
Emberlit Ti version is less versatile, less sturdy more expensive..But it is light and Ti is more corrosion resistant - so it will have its uses.

Wow the Emberlit Titanium is super light, 6oz! I wish there was a shop were I could go and see the Vargo, Emberlit, and Firebox side by side. I'll probably end up going with the Firebox stove. I like how I'm consistently hearing how sturdy and well built it is. Since my kids are still on the smaller side, this will most likely get more car camping use than on the trail use, for now.

Thanks for the input.

The firebox is a cool little stove, in which you can use mult fuels, from wood to esbit cubes or alcohol stove. Definitely not for long back packing/ultra light use, but for short hikes, 4 wheeling or Hammock camping.
I recently got one but have not used it much. I have also ordered their Firebox Nano, which is a smaller version to try. It will be available in Titanium as well as SS.
Check out YouTube videos by Virtuovice, a Japanese hunter/outdoorsman that loves the regular Folding Firebox for home and outdoor use.

Last edited:
The firebox is a cool little stove, in which you can use mult fuels, from wood to esbit cubes or alcohol stove. Definitely not for long back packing/ultra light use, but for short hikes, 4 wheeling or Hammock camping.
I recently got one but have not used it much. I have also ordered their Firebox Nano, which is a smaller version to try. It will be available in Titanium as well as SS.
Check out YouTube videos by Virtuovice, a Japanese hunter/outdoorsman that loves the regular Folding Firebox for home and outdoor use.

Virtuovice is my source of inspiration. He batons, makes feather sticks and lights up his firebox every night just relax. He's awesome. He also does it to prepare his family for natural disasters, which I think is great. Get the family comfortable and enjoying the minimalist lifestyle and you'll definitely have a leg up when things go bad.

I looked at it
It is too heavy for backpacking
But it has all the bells and whistles as extras
Would be great for car camping if you did not have fire places

Wow the Emberlit Titanium is super light, 6oz! I wish there was a shop were I could go and see the Vargo, Emberlit, and Firebox side by side. I'll probably end up going with the Firebox stove. I like how I'm consistently hearing how sturdy and well built it is. Since my kids are still on the smaller side, this will most likely get more car camping use than on the trail use, for now.

Thanks for the input.

check my thread here regarding the Vargo stove. It is full of comparisons between that and emberlit. Both of those brands are great stoves, good values, and will give years of service.

I'm the inventor of the Folding Firebox, Steven Despain. That having been said I'm just chiming because I love to talk stoves.
I have a ton of experience with all kinds of wood burning stoves & would like to be helpful if possible.
Do you want a stove that will double as a campfire?

Do you want a stove that will double as a campfire?

Yes I do. I think I'm in good enough shape to carry the firebox stove. Not far, but like I said, I'm not hiking in too far. If I notice that my kids really start to enjoy back packing and we need lighter gear, well I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. For now, I'm looking for durability and reliability and the firebox stove comes across as both.

Welcome and thank you for chiming in! Always nice to hear from the source.

Sure,

I've learned that one of the keys to performance in a wood burning stove is its ability to get air and just like an engine it must be able to exhale freely in order to inhale freely. That's where most brands go wrong, they try to calibrate the intake. I've learned to make combustion air freely available and the fire will take what it needs.

The original 5'' Firebox is a multi purpose stove that can be set up several different ways with many different accessories so if you're the type who enjoys experimenting with different cooking methods / fuels / pots, pans or water bottles. You'll love the 5" because it does it all, it can even be transformed into a rocket type stove.
If you really just want to cook or boil water the Firebox still shines as a basic cooker / portable campfire. It can really be whatever you want. It does weigh 2 pounds but no fuel to carry. Great for families or groups.

The Folding Firebox Nano is our ultralight (6oz) ultra simple stove that has a new fuel delivery system that maximizes the heat output of such a compact fire chamber. It's the perfect thing for a solo outing or even for a couple of people.

I'll most likely go with the 5" firebox. That nano looks great too.

Thanks again.

Steve,
I like your stove. Nice piece of kit for canoe trips.
I'd have bought a full sized Ti even if it warped....as long as it folds and works who cares?
2lbs is a bit heavy for backpacking though.

Steve, have you seen the latest Firebox video from Virtuovice? The video makes me want to go out and roast some fish with your Firebox!
[video=youtube_share;19elvs9COw4]http://youtu.be/19elvs9COw4[/video]

I would love a folding wood stove one day. For now, just to test the idea and to see how much I would use it, I made a coffee can stove. :)

A36F3207-1574-46EB-AEC9-F88CD44CCCFA-3366-000004340763C8B6.jpg

BF6C499C-ADD9-4976-8849-F7D0AA8262CA-3366-00000433FAEBA2C7.jpg

Cool. I did that years ago as a kid and they worked. Try cutting a row of air intake holes about an inch up from the bottom. I used a "church key" to make mine... do they still make those things? Oh... and if you bend the top rim in divits on four sides (or punch triangular holes with the church key), you can do away with the grid and the top holes. That will let the flame, heat and smoke out around the pot.

Do the still make those?? I thought the "church key" was the most important key in the house!

Do you punch the holes all the way around the bottom or leave a solid portion to face the wind on a windy day? The idea to bend the rim is good, but I can nest a number of things together as it is now and save space in my pack. But that's worth considering. Thanks for the tip.

Back