-It is important to ensure that follow through occurs. If you make a
commitment to this Buildoff, it is important that participants see it
through. That's why you have two weeks to decide whether or not you
would like to take part

-Makers have free reign over the design that they receive. Thickness,

material, construction method, shape and size are completely up to
the maker. If someone wants to make a miniature, go ahead. If your
knife ends up looking completely different from the design, that's ok

-This is all about fun, so don't do it if you're going to kvetch!

-This thread is the place where participants and spectators can discuss

the designs, post their own pictures and basically do what they want
and say what they want. In the spirit of this thread, please
be respectful to others

4. The Pay It Forward part;

-The 'benefit' part of this will be left to the participants. They are
completely free to choose what portion of the sale of their knife they
will donate. I would hope that it would be any portion of their time
spent making it and it's totally reasonable to recoup materials and shop
costs

-I do not want to dictate where the funds are allocated, so the

participants who sell their knives, (or give them away) will determine
where and how their funds, (or knife) go. It could be donated to
research, victims of environmental catastrophe, the poor or your local
church or charity

-The underlying concept here is to think globally and act locally. To

put something out there that could help someone, using your
skill and the sweat of your brow. My role in this is to try and provide
inspiration through my designs and maybe kickstart an annual event
which brings about benefit

designs3.jpg

ps. all three patterns, as drawn, will fit on a 1 3/4" wide by 12" long rectangle

Last edited:
this seems like it will be a cool build off, I wish I could participate.

thanks, I wish you could, too:)
Take care!

I'll give it some thought Lorien. If I'm being completely honest with the world and myself, the truth is that I likely won't be able to make the timeline (I mean, my general turn around on a knife IS measured on the Nick Wheeler scale....;) ). If I think I can magic it between work, school, and all the things that need doing around here I'll add one to the mix. One of your designs is really giving me some great ideas.

If I can't make the timeline, would you mind if I stole one of your designs to play with in glacial time? :)

-d

d, sorry about the timeframe not working for you.

These designs are free to anyone to use, but only participants will get mailed the design copied to scale. Thank you very much for asking:thumbup:

I'm very pleased that you are finding some value in the design for your own work. Just please make sure to take part in the poll and whatever discussion occurs, ok?:)

if anyone has any questions, comments or concerns regarding this buildoff, I'd like to hear them.

I'd especially like to hear from anyone who might be interested in participating, but maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree with this(?)

Really neat idea Lorien :)

That first design really does it for me! :)

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that guys are hesitating because they don't know you and might feel like there is something fishy here like you're getting something out of it. I personally know that you aren't getting anything out of it other than the excitement of trying to make it happen, watch it happen, and know that some money could go to some good causes.... But IF I didn't know you, I might feel this was some type of phishing. Just say'n. ;) :)

I hope some guys participate, it would be really neat to see what they come up with and also to see some charities helped out in the end.

The general idea is great Lorien. I can not participate mainly because I just don't have time. But the other reason is that, as a maker (yeah I said it, I am working on being more confident :eek:), working on someone else's design doesn't do it for me.
Just sayin' in case it could be the same for others and explain in part the lack of response.

Good luck with your project.

I had to look up 'phishing' and this is what I found;

Phishing is a way of attempting to acquire sensitive information such as usernames, passwords and credit card details by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication. Communications purporting to be from popular social web sites, auction sites, online payment processors or IT administrators are commonly used to lure the unsuspecting public. Phishing is typically carried out by e-mail or instant messaging,[1] and it often directs users to enter details at a fake website whose look and feel are almost identical to the legitimate one. Phishing is an example of social engineering techniques used to fool users,[2] and exploits the poor usability of current web security technologies.[3] Attempts to deal with the growing number of reported phishing incidents include legislation, user training, public awareness, and technical security measures.

I am certainly doing none of these things!

As for using my designs, part of this project is to take the design and do what you need to do to make it yours. All I would like to know, is that the outcome of this project is of benefit. I'm not looking for anything out of this other than what Nick mentioned, (well, minus the phishing part)!

We now have one person who's committed to making this happen, and even if it ends with William and he's stoked to donate his profit to something or someone, that's enough for me! But let's not leave him flapping in the breeze, it would be great to have even a couple more people step up and help this thing gain some steam.

I made these three patterns specifically for this project, and they are my contribution. I'll also be out of pocket for mailing these designs out and copying them, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is as well. I'm also going to try to make one of these myself, I just don't know if I'm good enough to do it in three months! I also have to do it almost completely by hand since all I have is a drill press. But, I'll try!

This is a great initiative Lorien! Great idea!
I whish the time frame was longer. I have customers waiting for their knives so I can't join in unfortunately...
But I am very inspired by this so I will make a knife that I will donated the the profit part from at a later date!

About you gaining anything from this other than the joy and exitement is just absurd! But then I know you well enough to know this for a fact!

I truly hope this great idea gets rolling soon Lorien!

Best of luck with it all to everyone involved!

Regards
/Magnus

thanks a lot Magnus! I sent you a big thank you card this morning;):D

Would it be better for you guys if I added another month to this? I mean, it does not matter to me when this concludes, I threw out the 3 month timeframe just to keep it tight enough to maintain interest. But there's not much point in me sticking to that timeframe if no one participates!

Please, let me know!

What if we changed it aroudn to
A) drop point hunter
B) dagger
C) tanto/tatical style

that sounds fine to me

Alright! We got two on board now. This thing is now outta the womb and learning to breathe...
Welcome Ryan, I hope you enjoy this and good luck with your decision!

A note to all;
You don't have to let me know which design you choose until the deadline noted in the beginning post, even if you want to let me know you're in right now. So go ahead and drop me a line, you have lots of time to make the call. If I don't hear from you about your choice by the deadline, don't worry, I won't let you forget and I'll get in touch.

looking forward to it, it will be nice to try something a little different from you usual.

looking forward to it, it will be nice to try something a little different from you usual.
+1 I get inspiration from my knife designs everywhere from other knifemakers to even premade knives and blades. To me its about the feel and little tweaks you do while grinding and sanding that is the fun part. SO seeing what I do with his design should be fun and knowing it goes to CHARITY is always a good thing in my book!

This will be interesting Lorien. I wish my time frame included this I'd jump on the chance to make that botttom one. I'm like Magnus with people tapping their foot waiting for the one they ordered 2 years ago. I suspect most other full time makers are in the same boat but I'll be following this thread on my 20 coffee breaks per day.

Bruce, I totally appreciate your post, thanks a lot for the show of support:).

Now, say you use just one of those coffee breaks per day to make a 'quickie' knife;)?

You established guys don't even need to put your mark on this thing, and could do a pretty simple one piece construction. Any one of your regular clients would be happy to buy it and make it 'disappear' into their collection, especially if they knew you were going to put $100 cash, (or whatever) into someone's hat and help you to Pay It Forward...just sayin'

I'll send you the design anyway, just in case...:D

This project is more oriented to newer makers, especially guys who are trying to nail down their own designs. I'm hoping that it will help them to think outside the box and maybe find something new in what they do. However, I suppose that type of thing could be of benefit to anyone, no?

If makers really don't want it to be known that they are taking part in this, for any reason, just pm me here. I won't tell anyone if you want to be a silent participant and although it's always nice to see knives, we don't need to post up a pic of your knife for the voting part. This is all 100% voluntary and you are welcome to be involved in any way you feel comfortable with.

Back