First DE shave: Schick Krona

I had my first-ever DE shave with a Schick Krona yesterday. I was going to hold out for better blades but the anticipation was killing me so I ran to RiteAid and bought some of theirs. While not an ideal shave overall, I like using a DE. It went a lot faster than my straight shaves but speed definitely cost me comfort. The shave wasn't as close in some areas, and I nicked myself more times than I have at any one time with a straight. The DE also left my face a bit more tender than usual and the hitch hazel burned quite a bit. I'm going to tentatively chalk up all the negatives to the low quality of the blades and my own experience with a DE, reserving judgement until I can get a pack of Feather or Wilkinson and have practiced a bit. Still, the time-saving aspect is very appealing as I generally don't have time to shave in the morning and it can be tough to do it at night when my son is bored. I could see myself using a straight 3 times a week and the Krona for maintenance in between.

0529121645.jpg

Feathers are sharp, real sharp, the sharpest out there to be honest. My personal favorites are Israeli Persona Red, sharp and smooth at the same time. My last nick with a DE razor wasn't really a nick and it wasn't from the edge of the blade either. It was a nice long gouge along my ear from a little sharp bit hanging off the end of the blade. I was in a hurry so I was shaving fast and managed to drag that little point a good inch, took a while to get it to stop bleeding too. I always inspect the blade now:eek:

The second shave was much better but I'm still nowhere near the closeness of a straight razor and still a bit of rash. It's getting better though!

Unky, thanks for the tip. I'll look for those blades.

Keep trying. I too like the convience and ease of DE shaving over my straight. Though I still keep my F. Bannister sharp and use it from time to time. After you get more shaves under your belt. Try some different blades and I think that will take the rash issue away. Good shaving, DM

Well, I think my improvement has just about leveled off. Still getting a lot of sensitivity and a bit of rash so I think it's time to move on to a better blade. I'd like to try out the Personna Red that Unky mentioned but I might be limited to brands available in single packs in retail stores until my house is purchased. Does anyone use and/or recommend Wilkinson Sword?

that's what my Dad used to shave with. my first 2 wet shaves I used Astra Platinums so far so good. the blade was rusty looking this morning so I tossed it. wife's razor with same blade and one shave on it looks ok so leaving it.

Send me you mailing address and I will send you a pack of 10 blades in the next few days
Well, I think my improvement has just about leveled off. Still getting a lot of sensitivity and a bit of rash so I think it's time to move on to a better blade. I'd like to try out the Personna Red that Unky mentioned but I might be limited to brands available in single packs in retail stores until my house is purchased. Does anyone use and/or recommend Wilkinson Sword?

PM sent! Thanks very much, I'll post the results here.
:thumbup:

I got a pack of USA made Personas and I am extremely pleased with them. Got them at one of the beauty supply stores that my wife frequents.

Well, I arrived home from work this afternoon to find a package from Unky! He sent me 2 fantastic Gillette razors, a pack of Persona Red, and a pack of Dorco 301ST. Needless to say, it was a very gracious gift and I'm extremely thankful. ;)
As luck would have it, I've been feeling sick for the past few days and just haven't had it in me to take on my shaving rituals. I'm feeling much better today and had a nice grizzly/itchy face to experiment on with the Persona blades. Although the Gillette razors Unky sent along are much nicer, I opted to use the Schick for comparative purposes. No point in comparing a nicer razor with a nicer blade to a decent razor with a crappy blade (if that makes any sense at all).
There really is no comparison. The Persona blade simply glides across the skin, even with my over-grown stubble. Absolutely no irritation and definitely one of the closest shaves I've had. I've more brands to try but I have the feeling that Persona Red will be my go-to choice. I can't wait to try them out in the Gillette Razors, especially the adjustable one. I may have trouble going back to straight razors!
Thanks again, Unky, I'm honored.
:thumbup:
wanna' try some Astras too? pretty much rash/burn free so far here.
I've got a lot of razor/blade combinations to try out but I would eventually like to try out the Astras.

Last edited:
those IP Reds are quite the blade aren't they:p They some how seem to find the balance between sharp and smooth better than most.

The Tech is a very mild razor almost no aggression at all, but still gives a close shave with any blade I have put in it. the adjustable is a is a 1962 Slim, and goes from mild ro reasonably wild with a twist of the adjustment. My normal 4 pass shave with it was start at 5 and bump it up in each pass. I found that the more aggressive setting as I went gave me a closer and more comfortable shave than if I just started at 8:confused: I would suggest starting at 3 or 4 with it for your first shave or two and move it up or down till you find your sweet spot. Enjoy the razors:thumbup:

Good on you, unky!

My experience is that the IP Reds are a suitable substitute for my favored Feathers.

Enjoy, Blais.

I too have been using Personna reds. They work extremely well for me. Haven't tried Astras or Feathers yet. Glad its working out for you.

A DE is a Double Edge safety razor

DSC02175.jpg

DSC02184.jpg

Hey guys. I have been thinking of switching the the DE too so looking for some input. Is the Parker 96R any good? See link. If not, can someone recommend one that isnt too expensive!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350489105550?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks.

I don't know much about the Parker line, but I don't think they are bad razors, I just wouldn't buy a new razor on Ebay. If you want new check out West Coast Shaving if you want inexpensive look to the vintage razors. I still wouldn't buy as quickly from Ebay because the prices can be inflated if you don't know what you are looking for, same thing goes with antique mall. There are still good deals to be found on both, but for me the best place to find inexpensive vintage razors are at flea markets and the occasional yard sale. Just don't expect to find perfectly clean razors at either, they will be covered in soap scum:barf: but it cleans off easy enough. The older razors are usually nickle plated brass, much more durable than new razors, but if it has a lot of green corrosion on it, badly bent teeth or missing on open comb or a safety bar the is bent walk away its not worth it unless it is free.

A really good starter vintage DE is the Gillette Tech, there are lots of them out there, they are cheap, and very mild. West coast Shaving will cover you for your blade, soap and brush needs. Canned goo just wont give you the same results as a good shaving soap and brush will. Budget in the $100 range for start up cost, you can do it for a lot less, but in that $100 range you get things that will last most of your lifetime even if you are a teen just starting to shave:p

Back