First High-End Knife

Looking to buy my first high end knife. Looking at a few like the sebenza 21, koenig arius, gareth bull shamwari, some shirogoroves, brown servo, and some southard models. Just bit sure about what I want, looking for some other options and opinions on these knives as well. Love to hear your thoughts.

So your profile lists you as being 15, is that correct? What other knives do you have experience with? What is your main use for this knife, just EDC or something in particular?

All good options, I own or have owned everything but the Shamwari. Servo has the best actions hands down, Arius is an incredible design, Sebenza is safe but not as exciting as the others. Love Shiros, but the overseas warranty work is always a considerstion, as with the Shamwari.

The designs, size and materials varies greatly between the knives, quite a bit of apples to oranges; making it hard to give a specific recommendation. If you can, buy used on any of them, so you can turn around and sell for around the same price, if not your cup of tea.

So your profile lists you as being 15, is that correct? What other knives do you have experience with? What is your main use for this knife, just EDC or something in particular?
You got me, I'm 15. I am going to sell some of my knives soon to make room for a higher end one, that's why I started this forum. I have had expierance with quite a few knives from different makers. I myself have a pm2, manix 2, benchmade 940, and a few others. My dad also has a few spyercos and benchmades that I have also fooled around with.

Arius is a great choice. I've not handled any of the other knives on your list.
8pONVMa.jpg

Thankfully all of your choices are reeeeeaaaally easy to flip if you don't like it so... I say try them all one by one LOL

Thankfully all of your choices are reeeeeaaaally easy to flip if you don't like it so... I say try them all one by one LOL

Was thinking just this about the Sebenza. If the OP buys it lightly used and doesn't like it he can flip it easily and not lose any money. Or he can become addicted to CRK. I've just acquired my third in about 6 weeks.

Was thinking just this about the Sebenza. If the OP buys it lightly used and doesn't like it he can flip it easily and not lose any money. Or he can become addicted to CRK. I've just acquired my third in about 6 weeks.
Indeed! Except I will admit the CRK is not for everyone. Maybe he's more of a flipper/flicker guy, who knows. Personally I love just smoothly push opening my CRK. Such a great knife.

Indeed! Except I will admit the CRK is not for everyone. Maybe he's more of a flipper/flicker guy, who knows. Personally I love just smoothly push opening my CRK. Such a great knife.

Very true. At this point in the hobby I like both thumb studs and flippers. There's something mechanically addicting in flipping a ZT0450. But opening up a Sebenza or Inkosi involves more real effort and most of all technique which also has it's own thrill.

Arius is a great choice. I've not handled any of the other knives on your list.
8pONVMa.jpg

Why does everyone love the Koenig Arius? I never hear anyone mention the Koenig Zenaida which I think is the way cooler Koenig. The knife is awesme as it has no screws and comes apart and goes together with none as well.

maxresdefault.jpg

images

Why does everyone love the Koenig Arius?
It's a real nice knife. Hands down the smoothest action of any knife I've handled, detent is perfect, fits my hand very well. Great design, executed very, very well.

Whitty,

What makes the Arius so good vs. a less expensive Sebenza and other listed by the OP in your opinion? $500-1000 for a titanium/XHP folder seems spendy. I have never seen one in the flesh so have zero experience with Koenig knives though.

Thanks!

I think BigKurtHaze pretty much nailed it!

It's a real nice knife. Hands down the smoothest action of any knife I've handled, detent is perfect, fits my hand very well. Great design, executed very, very well.

If you are only 15, I would suggest that you wait awhile before jumping into the high-end knife market. For two reasons:

First, you are already using knives that are better than what most knife owners will ever use, much less get a chance to see or handle. You will never have to apologize to anyone for owning (or using) a ZT, Spyderco or Benchmade knife. They are all fine products. Enjoy them now. Why be in a hurry to ignore what they have to offer?

Second, one reason the high-end knives you desire are so highly respected is they normally are purchased by people with much more knife/life experience than you can achieve during your teenage years. It is because of this experience, that only comes with time and life's wisdom, owners can truly enjoy higher-end products.

I don’t think you can go wrong with a Small Sebenza 21. I wouldn’t burn a grand on a first high end knife. For about $300 you can a very nice Small CRK. It’s as good as anything else out there. It speaks to quality, refinement, usability, thoughtfulness in purchase and so on. You’ll be able to use it and not worry about ruining it. Anyone who knows anything about knives will respect it.

Looking to buy my first high end knife. Looking at a few like the sebenza 21, koenig arius, gareth bull shamwari, some shirogoroves, brown servo, and some southard models. Just bit sure about what I want, looking for some other options and opinions on these knives as well. Love to hear your thoughts.
I own a Sebby, a Shamwari and a Southard Tolk midtech. All fabulous knives but I am going to rcommend the Seb. In a sea of titanium framelocks, at least try the original. If you end up not liking that hydraulic action you won't take a bath when you resell it.

Why does everyone love the Koenig Arius? I never hear anyone mention the Koenig Zenaida which I think is the way cooler Koenig. The knife is awesme as it has no screws and comes apart and goes together with none as well.
I wish I had bought one when they were still being made. They're incredibly hard to come by now.

First, you are already using knives that are better than what most knife owners will ever use, much less get a chance to see or handle. You will never have to apologize to anyone for owning (or using) a ZT, Spyderco or Benchmade knife. They are all fine products. Enjoy them now. Why be in a hurry to ignore what they have to offer?
Good point.

I am 49, have a good job and none of my 60+ knives are more than $200-ish. I use mainly ZT, Benchmade, ESEE, Buck and Spyderco.

I MAY buy a Sebenza down the road, but I am not embarrassed with the great knives I use daily and don’t see a need to ever spend $500-1000 for a knife. To each their own though....

Good point.

I am 49, have a good job and none of my 60+ knives are more than $200-ish. I use mainly ZT, Benchmade, ESEE, Buck and Spyderco.

I MAY buy a Sebenza down the road, but I am not embarrassed with the great knives I use daily and don’t see a need to ever spend $500-1000 for a knife. To each their own though....
You and I are much alike, my friend.

I'll turn 60 in May and I have never spent more than $200. If that much. More like $160. I too, use daily and also reach for Benchmade, Spyderco, and Buck. Along with CRKT, Kershaw, Ontario, and Victorinox. Even Cutco! Most of the time it's Benchmade but, that's only because I'm a fan of the Axis Lock.

I admit, at times, I have been embarrassed by my Cutco and CRKT but, I like them for the features they offer and I don't have to worry about the loss of a good knife when they disappear.

As a matter of fact, one reason I keep the Cutco around so that I can appreciate my better quality knives just a little more. If you ever get bored with what you own, just use a Cutco folder for a month and then go back to your other knives. You'll be amazed by all your other blades! No telling how much money I've saved by doing this. :)

I too, may buy a Sebenza. My goal is to pick up a small Insingo later this year if possible. At least, that's my plan but, plans have been known to change.

I say wait until you know what you like and, more importantly, what you DON'T like. It's easy to know what you like, but once you figure out what you really don't like, it'll be easier to narrow your list down. Also, if you can go to a local knife retailer or a big Gun & Knife Show and handle lots of different knives, it's help you decide what you don't like. Hope that helps.

Back