First Knife You Remember as a KID

People who know tell me you can't remember anything at three years old; the mind's must not wired for it. But I remember being very young and looking up at even short old ladies (who must have been...oh, 38). Anyway, I reckon the first knife I actually owned was one my parents got me at a carnival. It was a Wild West sort of thing. Anyway, it had a leather sheath with those long leathery things hanging off, like the Indians used to have. The whole thing must have been a couple of inches, tops, but I had that knife for years.

I began wondering if most of you have kept your knives from way back or, like me, lost them or had 'em took. The knife I had was pretty hideous, but I still wish I had it. But I carried it for a long time, and to school.

The first knife I think I noticed was one of several Swiss Army Knives carried by my grandfather. He's the one who introduced me to pocketknives (and fishing tackle, and guns, and power tools, and car engines, and all those other things Mom didn't want me near ;) ), and he was never without one. I doubt it was any one model; I know he owned several, along with a smattering of Schrade Old Timers, a few Imperials, and a few assorted others.

The first one I remember well, though, was the one he bought for me, when I was a whopping 8 years old. I couldn't take it home, lest Mom confiscate it; but whenever I was at his house, that was my knife. It was a Scout pattern: large spearpoint blade, awl/reamer, can opener, bottle opener, with jigged black scales and a bail to tie it to my belt so I wouldn't lose it.

Damn, I beat the crap outta that knife. Dropped it in creeks, caked it in mud, bounced it off of stones and sidewalks, left it in soggy dungaree pockets, got it full of sand and salt water down the shore, etc. He and I must've soaked it in a quart of Naval Jelly over the years to keep the rust under control, and I know I ground off a fair bit of blade learning to sharpen it on that old Norton India stone that used to belong to his father.

Anyhow, I got older, and got interested in guitars and cars and girls and stereos and such (not necessarily in that order, of course!), and even bought a few knives of my own, and like most teenagers who can only think of what's new and shiny, I just kinda forgot about that old scout knife.

Well, Pop passed away ten years ago, from leukemia. My grandmother put aside his knives and tools and tackle and such for several years, until she decided to sell the big house and move out by my parents about four years ago. She wanted to get rid of a lot of the old stuff, and asked me to go through Pop's old gear, and take whatever I wanted to keep.

There, at the bottom of an old toolbox, covered in rust for thirty-some years, was that old scout knife! I guess I'm older and wiser now, 'cos it was like meeting an old, dear boyhood friend again.

I soaked it in naval jelly, sanded the blades down to bare metal, scraped the verdigris off the brass liners, ground the rust out of the pitting with brass brushes, re-profiled the edge, and otherwise cleaned it up the best I could. It's a Case (the only one I think my Pop ever owned), in CV of course, and although the blades still have some deep pits, it doesn't look too shabby these days. What's more, it still takes and holds a great edge. I even EDC it once in a while, when I'm feeling nostalgic. My only regret is that I don't have a son or grandson of my own to pass it down to!

Believe it or not, the first knife I can ever remember owning was one that my folks let me buy at Disneyland of all places. :) I swear it's true. We're probably talking late '60s. It was very small; sort of a Frontierland version of a SAK with brown scales, but it did have a little blade on it. Oh how the times have changed. Nowadays, I doubt they still let the Pirates of the Caribbean have blades. :D

I think the first knife I had was a buck 112 that i found in the basement of the house we moved into when I was around 6. It was "mine", but my parents didnt let me carry it around. The first knife I was allowed to carry was a victorinox sak w/ blades, can/bottle openers, and a saw. I took it everywhere when we were hiking/ camping. I remember vividly the time the saw closed onto my knuckles when I was sawing through a branch.

Still have the 112, but the sak is long gone.

Camillus 3 blade Cub Scout knife with blue jigged slabs. Got rid of it I soon as I joined Boy Scouts. Didn't want to have a "kid's knife". Wish I still had it. I am going to buy my son a new one as his first knife this fall, but would rather have mine to hand down.:(

First knife I remember having of my own was a Victorinox Classic. I think I was 3 and a half when I had my first accident with it. Was sitting in a hotel lobby in georgia with my older brother and I made a good slice on my thumb. No stitches, but it bled a lot.

I remember getting some knives from amusement parks real young too. A six flags knife with 3 fold-out blades attatched to a piece of leather. Also got some lockbacks from my dad who received them where he worked as gifts. Just small, plastic handled knives with the company name on them. Still have a lot of them.

My older brother got a larger Vic when he was 6 or 7, it had a lot in it, like pliers. Made me want a bigger SAK too, since he had one. I had one with the tweezers and toothpick, blade, screwdriver and awl on the back and can opener + cap lifter. I got this a few years after moving to Oklahoma, where it saw a lot of adventures with me.

Another knife I remember is when my dad took me and my younger brother to an army surplus store. We eyed all their knives and of course wanted them all, but my dad got us each one of the smallest ones they had to try and keep us safe. It's a small black plastic handled knife, I think a liner lock. Has a red LED built into the handle. I know I still havethis somewhere, I could photograph it.

The Vic Classic I had I recently found. The blade had been put into a fire and was black and bent. The whole thing was covered in multi-colored rust. Still sharp though. I sent it out to Victorinox for repair last night.

the first knife I remember was called a barlow it had two blades.I'm sure I lost it seemed to make a habit of it when I was younger.though I did lose my grey calypso jr a couple of weeks ago,maybe old habits really are hard too break.

the first knife I remember was in 1958 I was 12 at the time.... I found it in the street a mexican bowie about 12 " long ,Eagle head on the blue handle ,no sheath .The first thing I did was to throw it in the ground and it snapped right at the guard.I kept the two halves for years and finally my mother threw it out.Ironically I found another similar one 10" long last year and can see how cheap they are made.... no throwing this time....keeping it to bring back memories.

My Grandma gave me a letter opener that was designed like a samurai sword when I was about 8 or 9, that got me started. After that, I got a huge $3.00 bowie knife at the hardware store, then a nice Western hunter and an Old Timer folding hunter all before I was 10 or 11. This was back around '71 when a kid could buy a knife in the state of California!!! :)

The first knife I remember getting ( I mentioned this in another thread) was a small fixed blade knife with a leather sheath, I was about 5 or 6. They were designed for kids and sold at most hardware stores. I lost it, but got another one soon after, it's a larger version and still in my collection of "stuff".

I remember my first knife at only 4! It was my Grandfathers old tort. shelled jack. I received it the day of his funeral, grandma gave it to me after the service. It was 1973.

I, unfortunately lost it :( after three days while learning the "joy" of whittling on her back porch steps.

Now all I have is his pocket watch, but that's fine with me :)

My first knife was a cheap POS that I won at some game at a fair. I think I was about 4. I would make booby traps and spears etc with it when I was playing outside. I would also whittle with it. I eventually lost it and replaced it with other cheap knives until I finally got a decent SAK type knife from an uncle.

I would use that knife all the time. I remember cutting down quite a few saplings with the saw on it to make traps and shelter type things in the woods when I was about 12.

good times

man, i couldn't really remember my first knife... had plenty of those "Pakistan" knives from the fair too :)

my first edc was probably a SAK Classic

i pinned it to the inside of my jacket with my keys in Middle School(in the late 80's)... i'd be expelled now!

The first knife I remember was the Old Barlow my father used to carry, I still have it around somewhere I think. My first knife was a 3 Bladed Boy Scout knife. My most treasured Knife is The one my Grandfather gave me when I was 12. He used it so much the blade is worn down to about 2 inches. I'm going to start cleaning it up soon to pass on to my son if I have one or one of my nephews. :)

Funny you bring it up, I'm looking at it. It's a little yellow deal with a crown logo. It used to have two blades, I remember breaking the little one. I remember my Dad getting it for me at Jamesway in Montecello NY. It must've been 1974-76 maybe?
Always loved this thing.
Hop

First one I recall was a yellow toothpick fishing knife with the scaler/bottle opener blade. Something about the size and shape of that knife that I love to this day. I'd saved my pennies and got it from that handsome drool-box of a display case at the local Rexall Drug store. ISTR it was an Imperial. I walked there by myself and bought the thing, must have been about 11 at the time. It was lost in my teen years.

A couple years ago, I bought a Case yellow toothpick fishing knife. Nice and shiny, sits in it's box and just isn't the same. Wish I still had my old one today. :(

i still have the first knife i owned,it is an imperial 2 blade jack knife i got out of a johnson smith catalog(they sold gag items,gifts,cheap knifes,like spencer gifts)i got it for 1.98 ,i was about 9 or 10 years old.it still has an ink stain on it when a pen burst in my pocket........:)

I just remembered by first "knife"! It wasn't that fishing knife after all. It was a small multi tool! I saw it at the barber shop, which had a display card on the wall with several of these small folding pocket knives/multi tools.

It was about the size of a SAK Classic. However the construction was more like that of generic nail clippers: all steel, heavy chrome plated blades, heavy chrome plated folded one-piece handle. Backspring integrated into the folded steel handle. It had a single sheepsfoot style blade, rather thick, with obtuse ground edge, kinda reminds me of my Utili-Key blade. Also a fingernail file/cleaner, and a bottle opener. All blades pivoted from the same side: a large diameter hollow rivet for a ball chain. I must have been about 6 or 7 when I badgered my dad to get me such a cool little device. And he did. ISTR having this into my teens. Who knows what happened to it?

My first knife was an Ulster scout knife, given to me by my parents in the late 60s. Not long after I got it, I was playing by the creek with a friend, and he had it in his shirt pocket. When it was time to go home, the knife was no longer in his shirt pocket.

Back