First larger fighter: The Inquisitor!

I still haven't finished his little brother but was itching to start work on this one. Handle will be African Blackwood but I won't show you guys the design right now for fear you won't like it....again. :(;)

inquisitor01.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Inquisitor! very cool Patrice, I will be watching this one.

I'm not sure what you have planned for the handle… but see potential in the blade shape. If you come up with a handle that complements that blade without overwhelming it, you'll have a winner. I think blackwood is a great choice, and look forward to seeing this project develop.
Erin

I will say one thing. Make whatever the heck you want. I, for one, will give you ZERO advice on a handle and would love to see WIP pics.

Personally, if I had the capability or ability, I would do a hollow grind to help lighten the blade up a little bit. I know its not much over a flat grind, but when I think fighter, I think hollow ground like loveless knives. I bet if you give this knife your special touch, it will be a home run! (Or whatever you canucks play up there:D)

-Xander

Patrice Lemée;10728491 said:
1/8th Ryan.

Thanks, I will post WIP of course, just wait till the handle is a little farther along. ;)

May not come up as high as you like, what wheel will you be using? have you used the Hollow grind calculator before? I think a Hollow would look cool and you are going to put an edge on that Clip? :D

Are you going for the grind line shown on your paper drawing, or in the Dykem?

The line shown in Dykem could be hollow ground with a narrow wheel. The one on the paper drawing would leave you with some really funky edge geometry if hollow ground.

It's a really great start Patrice. :)

Patrice Lemée;10728247 said:
I am sorry but you know me Erin, of course the handle will be overwhelming. ;)

Hahaha... NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Just kidding. ;) You always seem to surprise me. I'm sure it'll be no different this time.

The cross that you show on the sketch, combined with the blade shape and blackwood led me down the mental path of simple black and silver for the handle... but you're 'de boss, boss.

I really like the layout of the bevels shown on the sketch -- as opposed to the dykem layout -- but with a non-uniform bevel width, it could be a bit trickier to grind... especially on a wheel. I'd probably flat grind the blade... just because it's what I'm most comfortable with, and I probably wouldn't have gone with such thin stock. It's going to be a lot of work to keep a crisp transition between the main bevels and flats. Maybe you could try and pull off a hybrid-hollow grind -- ala Bruce Bump -- where you grind a tight radius hollow up high than "pull" it down to the edge. At my skill level, I'd be afraid to try it... but maybe you could pull it off. :thumbup:

You've probably already considered this too, but I have been making an effort lately to leave a bit more meat at the tip prior to rough-grinding my bevels. I don't take the tip area to final shape during initial profiling... but wait until I have ground in my bevels before doing so (usually right before HT). This helps me avoid thinning out the tip too much during grinding.

Good luck dude... can't wait to see this one progress.

The line shown in Dykem could be hollow ground with a narrow wheel.

Hey Nick... I assume your talking about something like a 1" wide wheel (to help work around the recurved area). I've thought about investing in one of these. I've also even considered modifying a wheel to have a slight radius (or crown) to help with grinding this type of blade. One of my earliest junked blades was a hollow recurve that I mangled on my 8"x2" wheel... I really liked that design, but won't try it again until I come up with a better way to attack it.

Erin

Thanks Ryan, I have the calculator but the biggest wheel I have is 10" and, with steel this thin, I already know that I could not go that high without cheating and moving the grind line up. Don't know if I am good enough to do this as cleanly as I'd like. And yes of course the clip will be sharpen, I put it there yous for you. ;)

Nick, I agree and the Dykem one is the one I should follow. I just have trouble with my drawing program to draw a line that perfectly follows the edge. Have to work with it some more.

Thanks for the good words guys.

Back