First larger fighter: The Inquisitor!

Erin, black and silver is exactly what it will be...great minds they say. ;)
Thanks for the tip on the tip, I'll have to give that a try.
I was writing at the same time you posted, the grinding technique you talked about was what I was trying to describe. And by the way, your grinding skills are as good as mine, probably better.
Since the recurve is not too extreme I should be able to do it on the large wheel. This one was done of the large wheel and has more inside curve. I can't say it was fun though. :(

persian01.jpg

That has a very sexy indo-persian style to it! And I really like blackwood ;-)
A grind that would be tricky, but really slick, would be a hollow grind until close to the tip that switches to a convex. It would beef up the tip as on many original indo-persian pieces.

Yep, that's what I meant Erin. I've seen a 1/2" wide wheel, and that would work even better. Much harder to learn to use, as it wouldn't as readily sit in the groove of the hollow, but it would allow tighter curves in the grinds.

Patrice, I like the looks of both grind lines. But IMO, to do it like the one in the paper drawing, it would need to be a flat grind AND would require some hand work (files, stone, paper, etc.) to get that sharp/fairly straight grind line WHILE maintaining a uniform edge thickness.

I plan to do this type of grind Steve but not on this one. I think it would look good on something more indo-persian influenced.

You are right Nick, I don't think I can pull that off cleanly.
I am leaning toward the hollow grind now because of the recurve, even as shallow as it is. Never tried that on a regular flat platen. :eek:

Tried the 10" wheel but I am no Bruce Bump that's for sure. :(
I then remember I had a radiused platen (48" or 36", can't remember) from Nathan (the Machinist).

radiused_flat_platen_48.jpg

Worked really well. Here where we are.

inquisitor03.jpg

You forgot you have a radiused Platen? Looks good Patrice....

Yes Ryan, I am old you know. ;)

I finally found out it is a 48" radius. Perfectly machined from Nathan. :thumbup:

Mark, duct tape is cheaper that gloves and it builds a nice thickness for protection against the heat. :D

Thanks for the good words guys.

Patrice- I apologize if it seemed like I was saying you couldn't pull it off. I didn't mean that at all. I just meant it's not something that's going to come off the grinder perfect, and would need to be trued/cleaned up with hand work. :)

Radiused platen use is cheating! You need to start over again. :D

Okay, I admit... now I'm jealous. I want a radiused platen.

No need to apologize Nick, I did not take it like that at all.
And as much as I try to work on my confidence level I am still realistic about my skill level. I usually don't true/clean anything with hand work, to the contrary, I mess it up. ;)

Greg, you must have missed the part where the platen is attached to a GRINDER!. :p

Patrice Lemée;10733526 said:
Greg, you must have missed the part where the platen is attached to a GRINDER!. :p

No, I got that part. Perhaps I forgot to mention that lately I've been using my grinder a lot... without even turning the motor on! No kidding! I find it much more predictable than with the motor running! :)

I need your input. In the pic below you can see in black the placement of a cross. That's just a basic shape but I had planned to do this as a cut-out. Now I am not sure anymore. It could also be engraved or just there at all. What do you think?

inquisitor04.jpg

Patrice... keep the cross. It was one of the things that really caught my eye on the original sketch... and really sings Lemée.
Erin

Some progress

Kept the cross cause, well cause Erin said he liked it and he went to all the trouble of getting the é in my name right. ;)
I am glad I did.
inquisitor05.jpg

Clay applied, ready for HT
inquisitor06.jpg

Came out straight as an arrow. Too bad I can leave it like that, kind of like the look.
inquisitor07.jpg

I am not a patient man so I had to do a little cleaning and etching to see the hamon.
I say we have winner! :D
inquisitor08.jpg

Thanks for looking

That looks great Patrice! You have a good eye for this knifemaking business.

Back