First look at Cold Steels Golden Eye Folder via KnifeNews.

I like both versions. I wonder if the little notch in the brass ring is a tool slot and if the ring is a screw-together thing. If so, it would be removable. I will wait to see how it actually functions, but I like the design and steel choice. I definitely prefer thumb-hole opening vs stud.

That pocket clip choice is bizarre. If I buy one of these, I'm getting rid of the brass ring and getting an aftermarket clip asap. I don't want almost a full inch of knife sticking out of my pocket.

If that ring rotates it'll reduce friction of the hole on the thumb.
Feel free to patent it but mention my name. :p

It sure looks like the brass device would pull double duty as somewhat of a "stud" to open with the thumb only plus also allowing the "spydie drop" by pinching with thumb pad and an opposing finger...as previously mentioned the ring may rotate allowing for a more ;) high speed, low drag experience ;)

still waiting on a CS AD10 to drop.....It'd be like Cold Steel obtaining a license to print money!!!!! :cool:

I'm sorry to be a grinch but, I'm not feeling this one. It looks like a cross between Spyderco(thumb hole) and an Emerson CQC-7. It's a departure from the sort of the knives they've done in the past but it just doesn't appeal to me.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I have been hoping for a Lawman with a noncoated blade for a while. Maybe this will
fill that role. Agree that the Triad pin seems low on the handle. Hope the heat treat on the s35v
provides for a high hardness.

I'm sorry to be a grinch but, I'm not feeling this one. It looks like a cross between Spyderco(thumb hole) and an Emerson CQC-7. It's a departure from the sort of the knives they've done in the past but it just doesn't appeal to me.

That is a good description and my reaction too, especially because the tanto pic was first in line. But Emerson does a tanto and spearpoint version of the CQC-7 and the profiles are very similar. Then there is the spyderhole with the funky ring. So I agree with the description, BUT those are the very reasons I like what I see! I can do without the pretty colors, I just like the blade designs, the opening mechanism, and triad lock is a bonus. If the steel is done well, I like S35vn too. So this looks like a winner, to my eyes. YMMV, as always. These are matters of personal preference. I am curious about the hole opening, though. What exactly is that ring? Does it add useful functionality, or is it a dodge around spyderco trademark? I am a long-time fan of spyderco AND CS, so am interested in getting more details.

Saving judgement for hands on appraisal, but kudos to the design department for trying something different.

An cold steel/Spyderco Is exactly what I thought too. How did they manage to use a spyderco hole on this knife anyway? It definatly has a hole in it whatever they call it. Clip looks like a spyderco spoon clip too! (nothing wrong with that just a rather funny observation)

I'm not CS guy, as most designs are too big for my personal taste, but the name "Golden Eye" wouldn't be a play on words with regards to the home of Spyderco, would it?

agree 100%...to much spydie going on here...hope this isnt a new trend

I'm not CS guy, as most designs are too big for my personal taste, but the name "Golden Eye" wouldn't be a play on words with regards to the home of Spyderco, would it?

2027faa9023efb87b9aa1ad39e8920ea.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I've read Spyderco and Cold Steel seem to have some sort of relationship with each other. At least as far as one knife goes- the Black Talon II. It says "featuring a modified curved blade*" in the description and the * notes at the bottom-Used with the kind permission of Spyderco. Spyderco has done co-company knives at least a few times that I know of and I didn't really get into knives until last year. For instance the LionSpy and the Lil' LionSpy.

That Golden Eye name might not be so "tin foil hat" after all. We don't really know right now I guess, but someone will find out sooner or later. Either way, like Mr. Bond I'm into both companies. I'll probably pick one up in spear-point. The clip is probably painted or powdercoated so sanding that shiny surface off shoudn't be too hard. It kind of looks like a Manix 2 and Recon 1 got mixed together, at least to me ;)

That would be clever if true.

Upon closer inspection the little cut out in the gold ring appears to be there just for the sake of fitting it into the hole. I think they pinch the ring so it takes up slightly less diameter then release it in the hole causing it to lock in place. Or maybe a little steel stud sticks into the cutout to prevent the gold ring from spinning. It does look like the gold ring is ramped though a la Blur.

Odd design, but the change in pocket clip is welcome and over due, hope it will be much more flexible than the old ones

I would really have to like this one in hand to buy it. I think it's ugly as hell and that the hole feature seems like a gimmicky mashup of things that have already been done. I hope I'm wrong.

Back