First Week With A Large Sebenza

wwHXUBk.jpg

Wouldn't really call this a 'review' exactly. It's more 'random observations from a knife noob' than an actual review. A 'review' implies that I (kinda) know what I'm talking about and I don't. Not about knives anyway.

I still haven't been able to bring myself to carry it yet. I'm too much in the adoration phase of our relationship. LOL Did any of you also experience this with your first CRK, as in, this-knife-is-just-too-damn-nice-to-carry? If so, how long did it last? I'm keeping it in my briefcase (inside its box) for the time being but I'm really too busy at work right now to mess with it. Off work, though, that's quality time.

I've been opening/closing the blade about 50-60 times every evening and it's incredibly smooth now. I mean, it still takes a little effort to flick it completely open without a little wrist help but, WTH, I've got the thumb muscle memory now to open it smoothly in one continuous motion to get that metallic ca-chunk, like the cylinder of a Colt revolver locking into place. Damn. If it's wrong to be 'aroused' by that sound, I don't want to be right.

It's not supposed to be flicked open. It's not a tacticool accessory!

Man, take that thing out and use it. You're doing it injustice to leave it in the box in a box.

They carry well and are great users that look even better with some wear. Worst case scenario CRK can bring it back to new(for the most part). If you don't start carrying and using it you really won't see what the knife is all about.

Nice score :thumbsup: I agree with the above stated. Use it! You’re only getting about a third of it’s intended pleasure :rolleyes:;)

I’ve been meaning to pick up a large as a user. Drop point, Micarta inlay large is the way to go for a user in my opinion :thumbsup:

I set down my 21CF all day to use something else. The 21 blows my mind even more after setting it down for a rest. It's amazing.

Ya, when they are new or the washers were replaced if we sent one back to the Spa it takes about 2 days of opening and closing for the washers to seat. If you hold it upside down and keep the lock bar pressed in off the blade and the blade swings freely then you have reached your goal. If you want to flick it open, then flick it open... its “your” knife, enjoy it.

Just out of curiosity.... Would all you of the “get past the intimidation/adoration stage and just use it” mindset feel the same way about a large 21 that’s one of those “show special” editions of 20 pieces with the blue CF inlays?

Just out of curiosity.... Would all you of the “get past the intimidation/adoration stage and just use it” mindset feel the same way about a large 21 that’s one of those “show special” editions of 20 pieces with the blue CF inlays?

Without a doubt. I almost bought one at the last show. But I prefer all stone wash blade and the light weight knife art models :)

I can understand how you feel about not wanting to use it. But, what you have is a week old knife that still looks brand new and it will look like that next week and the week after that if you don't use carry/use it. It's not yours until it makes you bleed or you give it personality, and the only way to do that is to...………………………….use it. Put that sucker in a pocket sheath and start carrying it with you. The pocket sheath will minimize the snail trail marks and after a bit, it will start to look worn.
Take a look at this thread and tell me you don't agree;)

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/pics-of-well-worn-weathered-crks-only.1505449/

I think many people feel that way at first ... and some freek out at those first few scratches ... but to me nothing looks beter than a well carried and used Sebenza ... it just looks like your favorite old rocking chair ... and feels like home.

Can go either way. If you bought it as a collector item then no. You want to keep it perfect. If you bought it to use then use it. Many have CRK's that are part of their collection and are not used, but they usually have other CRK's that they do use. You only need so many users. You can have an infinite number of collectors(money being the limiting factor).

Use it when you’re ready.
Enjoy it in whatever way suits you.

It took me a while to start using my first CRK (Umnumzaan). I was just captivated by it (still am to some degree) and would pull it out, flip it a few times, examine the details and think, “Wow! I cant believe I have a CRK! This thing is awesome!”

My small inkosi was pressed into service almost immediately...mostly because I butter-fingered it onto the asphalt and figured, “What the heck?!?...Well, it’s a user now!”

I have a beautiful wood inlaid 21 I keep telling myself I need to use...but I haven’t yet. It’ll still be around when I’m ready. Until then, it still brings me joy to fondle periodically. ;)

Good choice on the Large 21 Micarta drop point, BTW. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
You won’t truly love it and appreciate it until you put it in your pocket, use it, and get some scratches on it. When I got my first Sebenza I was hesitant the first day because it was the most expensive knife I ever bought. The next day it went in my pocket and it has been their everyday for almost a year except maybe a few times when I wanted something else. It is such a simple, elegant design and it just works. It is a joy to use it, and I think they look better a little beat up!

Why buy it if you won't use it?

Carry it with you and make it yours over time. Mine has been my pocket companion for 5 years now. We have been through good and bad times together and we both have the marks left on us to prove it. Wouldn't be mine otherwise and I wouldn't trade it for a new one if you offered.

Opening my Umnumzaan feels so smooth and perfect I don't "fidget" with it a lot because it needs no more breaking in. My Small Inkosi, the same, but it is my EDC due to its small size. My Large Sebenza 21 has been getting all my fidget time as I sit at my desk because I keep telling myself it will get better "once it breaks in". Its been a few months and thousands of deployments and I'm still waiting for it to break in to be as amazingly smooth as my Umnumzaan and Inkosi. I'll grant that of the 3 it does have the superior slicing blade by a small margin. It is a Damascus blade and that metal just has a way of grabbing and slicing. I speculate a standard steel blade in an Sebenza 21 probably does deploy more smoothly and loosely. My affection for this knife is somewhere between a Love/Hate relationship and Love/Love relationship.

Good luck with the Micarta... it is pretty indestructible (I have on my Inkosi EDC). I had the good/bad fortune of putting a micro scratch across my wood inlay 21 in the first couple days I had it, so it took the newness off it, else it may still be sitting in a box.

Back