Five knives for the rest of your life

1 and 2...
datdLbl.jpg

3, 4, 5.
LMgP3Vn.jpg

I can do whatever needs to be done with these. If 'cooking' is an issue and my Fantastic-5 can't cut it then I'll get my wife to do the work as the parameters of the original question never stated that she couldn't have a set of kitchen knives... although she might use them on me if she ever read this.

1- Plain jane Small Sebenza
2- Ebony GEC 15 spearpoint long pull
3- Emerson Horseman
4- Spyderco Para Military 2 M4 or even the regular s30v one
5- Ebony GEC 81 Bullmoose that I got for my wedding

The GECs can be carried everywhere, the small seb is just about the perfect knife for me, the Horseman and Para2 are both great working knives with the horseman being there for the more abusive tasks.

Boker Smatchet or custom Fairbairn Fairsword
Randal model 1-16 Border Patrol Model or Randall Model 14
Emerson CQC-7 part serrared blade
LM Wave
Spyderco Delica part Serrated

Two thumbs up for BUCK110, coz life w/o it wud be unimaginable:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Buck 110
Buck 110
Buck 110
Cold Steel Vaquero serrated
Cold Steel Vaquero plain edge

I’ll play.

1 Victorinox Fieldmaster
2 Case 3254 carbon steel Trapper
3 Spyderco Endure FFG
4 Buck 110 with finger grooves
5 Schrade 34 OT USA made

1. Buck 110 S30V drop point G10
2. Benchmade Griptillian 20CV drop point G10
3. Benchmade Barrage CPM S30V G10 forest green with lime green backspacer yes it's important
4. Benchmade Crooked River CPM S30V G10 (red)
5. Buck Ranger S30V Ironwood

This thread needs more pictures.
97Wi5rd.jpg

nR6eMZh.jpg

zqQ6cFh.jpg

UBlYzI7.jpg

BpYHloF.jpg

Victorinox Outrider
Victorinox Swisschamp
Buck 110
Fallkniven F1
Opinel No 8

I can do this in 4...

1) Leatherman Micra for a pocket tool.
2) Leatherman Blast for full sized tool.
3) Opinel #9 Inox
4) Buck 110 aluminum frame (available from Copper and Clad)

The Micra is a constant companion. I keep a larger multitool in my daypack/man purse. Usually I carry a Juice but if I had to stick with just one, I would take the larger Blast.

The Opinel #9 and Buck 110 both get carried in my right rear pocket. I sew a seam up the side of my rear pockets and the knife carries comfortably there. More importantly, it's much stealthier than advertising the knife with a clip or a holster. I generally ignore knives laws. I don't recommend that. But that's how I approach it. If I think there is any chance of an issue, I carry the cheaper Opinel which won't ever get confused with a weapon.

The Buck 110 Aluminum Frame is, IMO, the Buck 110 fully realized. It's light enough to make it easy to carry all day and it retains great balance. It's my hunting knife and my EDC most days now.

Since I have a slot open, I'll pick the Schrade-Walden H-15 for a fixed blade. It will do pretty much everything from food prep to woods bumming with ease. The thin stock and convexed saber grind is the secret. It's a grind that should be rediscovered, IMO.

EDITED TO ADD: I'm flat out ignoring the no multitool and no fixed blade clarifications. So shoot me. I can easily live the rest of my life with just 2 pure folding knives.

1. Stag lambsfoot
2. Case amber bone trapper
3. Buck stockman
4. Navaja clásica Albaceteña
5. Buck 110

1.Old Hickory 7 inch Cabbage Knife
2. Opinel #6
3. Case Sodbuster
4. Buck 110
5. Stockman 8OT.

Last edited:
Mine would be:-
1) CRK Large 21 insingo blade with micarta inlays.
2) CRK Large 21 Plain Jane with drop point blade.
3) Hinderer XM-18 3.5" Spanto S35VN
4) Spyderco PM2 S110V
5) Benchmade Griptilian 555-1

1)Spyderco Paramilitary 2
2)Spyderco Dragonfly 2
3)Benchmade Mini Griptilian
4)Le Thiers Compagnon by Chambriard
5)Spyderco Harpy(my first knife, that my brother gifted to me)

This should get me:
  • All around functional - Benchmade full sized Griptilian (G10 and 20CV)
  • Big and versatile - Partially Serrated Spyderco Military
  • Classy - CRK Small Sebenza 21 Knife w/ CF Inlays
  • Full function multi-tool - Leatherman Wave (with extra bits and bit extender)
  • Backup to everything - Victorinox Outrider
I figured I would want as much variety as possible and over the course of a lifetime functionality beats out looks.

Of the list above, I only own the Grip and the Wave. I have a different subtle EDC, but if I am picking for a lifetime, I might as well go with Chris Reeve. I am also not a fan of folders that push the 4" mark, but again, if making a lifetime decision, I would want to have a different type of tool in my toolkit.

Black Victorinox Cadet - Classy, subdued and useful.

ZDP-189 Delica - Lightweight, small EDC with the king of steels.

ZDP-189 Endura - Lightweight, full size workhorse in the king of steels.

Spydiechef - I don't own one currently, but I like the idea of a "nice" knife in LC200N.

Burl Inlaid Large 21 Sebenza - Because my "tool" needs have been covered by the other 4 and this fits into some bizarre fantasy role where I need a full size knife, but will be entertaining the Queen.

I own the first 3 and through trial and error have picked those to handle all my needs and wants
Numbers 4 and 5 would be backups

1 CF/TI s90v Military
2 Gen 6 Hinderer xm18 3.5 skinny slicer
3 Spyderco Delica vg10
4. Fully Serrated Military
5. Has not been made yet, but a Gen 6 Hinderer xm18 3.5 skinny skinner in stonewashed dlc

1. SAK Alox bantam because it goes in any pocket and is super light.
  2. SAK pioneer for every day.
  3. Small Sebenza 21 for every day.
  4. Large Sebenza 21 for outdoor chores.
  5. Benchmade mini crooked river for fun.

I guess nobody here will have to cook seriously for themselves or community?

My no-brainer list:

- Wüsthof 10" serrated bread knife
- Wüsthof 7" chef's knife
- Wüsthof 4" paring knife
- Shiro F95
- Ka-Bar

Last edited:
Back