Five knives for the rest of your life

cant do it. older I get the more I change what I use knives for. sure, could get by with 5 or less, but whatever I picked now 10 years later I'd likely look at the list and shrug my shoulders on why I thought those 5 were perfect.
C’mon you can do it. Look at it as a snapshot in time. You might even turn someone on to a knife they’ve never heard of before.:)

Thank you GB. Snakewood, but I can see what you mean; because my iPhone picture taking is meh, and the pattern on mine is less distinct than some snakewoods. I still love it. It's this:

View attachment 1030020
credit: GEC http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/patterns/61-square-bolster-congress/

View attachment 1030021
Very nice sir. Snakewood is sweet. I only have a Boker Carvers Congress but I’m quite taken with it. It makes a great knife for a finish carpenter.

Seven folders:
CRK 21
CRK 25
CRK Umnumzaan
ZT550
Shirogorov 95T
LionSteel Otnat
T. A. Davison

Since I've picked 5 that I own above, I decided to pick 5 that I don't own.

These pictures were snagged online, please let me know if there's any issue using them and I can take them down.

Little fancy for 5 users, but if I can only pick 5 they might as well be niiice! Lots of variety of size, style and lock types.

file-373x373.jpg 3A434019-C2E4-4C95-85D9-9FD5C1EE4273-480x360.jpeg Screenshot_20180909-075823_Reddit-852x600.jpg IMG_3220-1800x1200.jpg tbose-case_bose-412wilfredlockbackhunter-xx-3-1-600x437.jpg
Drool.

Demko AD-15
Alan Davis beauty custom
Shirogorov CD neon
Zaan Damascus
Case Bose Hunter

Last edited:
Problem is my tastes will change within a decade never mind the rest of my life. My physical abilities will change too. I'd love to be able to find 'the one', it's what I've been looking for since I started. I've yet to come close.
Taste and physical abilities change over time for us all. However, one knife I listed, I know I will have for life (if I don't lose it). It is my US made Kershaw Zing.
My wife was giving me a bad time about all my knives. At one point she told me that I can't take them with me when I die. "On the contrary", I replied. "I want to have this knife buried with me when I die." I held up the orange scaled Kershaw and smiled. She just looked at me as if I was nuts.

cant do it. older I get the more I change what I use knives for. sure, could get by with 5 or less, but whatever I picked now 10 years later I'd likely look at the list and shrug my shoulders on why I thought those 5 were perfect.

It's just a bit of fun. And perfection is a myth anyway. Look at it this way: no one is gonna hold you to this 10 years from now... or will they?

It's just a bit of fun. And perfection is a myth anyway. Look at it this way: no one is gonna hold you to this 10 years from now... or will they?
I cant do it cause I just like too many knives for their different abilities. sure one knife could cut everything, just not well at every task. I'd struggle to get down to 5. that's all........

One of the games we play here is shaming new people so they develop the habit of feverishly searching topics before posting new ones. As a result, years-old thread necromancy is kind of a big thing here. Then, we jump in to point out how long the thread has been dead, and participate anyway. Often after having participated in it the first time around.

Heh.

Yeeeaaaaahhhhh, we have some salt ‘round here. Sprinkle, sprinkle.

I'd hang on to the 11" Italian stiletto switchblade with stag scales and seemingly no maker marks except "Italy." I had a similar one in Jr. High School -- back when they were unlawful and I was a part-time juvenile delinquent.

I have an Italian lock-back spear blade -- technically it's NOT a "stiletto" because the blade is broad with a decent cutting edge shape. But it's mostly a "stabber/stiletto." This one is more than 60 yrs old, and from when I was a part-time juvenile delinquent in grade-school.

Then a Case Trapper with carbon steel blades -- blue black from patina and use. Stag scales. Carbon blades are from a by-gone era.

Camillus Military Utility Pocket Knife -- because they don't make them any more. I have one, but can't find it.

Something locally produced, Kershaw, CRKT, Gerber, Benchmade -- I have a vintage Benchmade Bali-Song. That's a "folder" eh?

Then every day I'd be thankful that my taste in knives runs toward fixed blades -- and I have a **** load of them. LMAO

I'm not sure why it is difficult for some to limit their choices to folders (top tip, an axe isn't a folding knife), but whatever....

Going by the parameters of the question, I'm assuming this only applies to folders and I will have any number of fixed blades and multi tools I want.

Is a sak a multitool or a knife :eek:

I say knife because of no pliers. So with that I will consider a non-pleir based tool that has a knife, a knife.

Vic sak camper (in sapphire). I like the saw and if society collapses, I'm banking on the return of traditional bottling methods. Thus, the cork screw.

BM 810 contego. Big tough folder. M4.

Spyderco Pacific salt SE. Light. Rust proof. Edge lasts forever. Folding pocket chainsaw. Might be my current most carried pocket knife. Just a good damn work horse.

Zt 0452cf. I just love the look. Great flipper. Best little big knife I've owned.

Benchmade 860. Have you not seen the bedlam? It's just bad ass.

Oh, and pictures:
sKsnC6n.jpg

NKuPh7w.jpg

8PtNu1Q.jpg

0f8RV88.jpg

KfOK06J.jpg

Of course, if you can't tell from the pictures, I'd prefer a fixed blade to any of these save for the salt. That knife is precisely purpose driven.

One of the games we play here is shaming new people so they develop the habit of feverishly searching topics before posting new ones. As a result, years-old thread necromancy is kind of a big thing here. Then, we jump in to point out how long the thread has been dead, and participate anyway. Often after having participated in it the first time around.

Heh.

Yeeeaaaaahhhhh, we have some salt ‘round here. Sprinkle, sprinkle.

Don't fear the salt! A couple chemical burns are your Badge of Entry.

Every human tribe/club does at least a little bit of gatekeeping, and hazing. It's actually very mild, around here: I found a forum that had to create a sub for n00bs, where trolling would get you a permaban. The rest of the forum was open season.

In an odd kind of way, I think it helps people keep things in perspective. These internecine, technical debates we have about steel and sprint runs are very much First World problems, and without some internet friends to stop by once in a while and remind us of that, we run the risk of becoming the kind of people who throw a Gran Mal temper tantrum if our latte doesn't have the right amount of foam....

Yeah, "phases" . . . There was the Case Trapper era, moving into the Buck 110 and knock-offs. Then "pocket knives as jewelry" and stockman, congress, warniff . . .

-- And these are just the "folders." Bowie phase -- Damascus, stag grips, coffin handle, crown horn . . . Camillus Airman Survival phase, which evolved into the KaBar USMC and similar designs by Case, Boker, etc.

I've been accumulating military bayonets since 5th grade, and a replica 1860 Heavy Calvary Sabre because my uncle had an original, passed down to my cousin but we couldn't find it when my cousin died.

I just bought a Case doctor's knife -- probably won't be the last doctor's knife.

No Spyderco . . . and I got my butt chewed the last time I brought this up . . .

Back