flying with knives

Wilfred17

Gold Member
I'm vacationing in Colorado USA , earth. made the prerequisite stop @ spyderco and purchased a few knives. the dilemma is - do I pack the knives in my checked baggage, or mail everything home ?
thanks for any input or horror stories

Solution
I and friends of mine have had knives stolen from checked bags by TSA or whomever. Try and plead your case to the airlines - after you say the word "knife" the conversation usually drops off quickly. Personally, I'd go right to FedEx and have them packed up in advance. Do 2 or 3 day shipping and insure them. All worries taken care of...
I hide them in my checked bag under the insoles of my shoes. Nary a problem.

Wearing a size 14 helps in hiding them, though they take up half a carry-on so I always have to check a bag anyway. 🤔

Last edited:
I never check my luggage when I fly -- carry-on only.

So, my only choice would be to ship them to my PO via USPS Priority.

I've bought and sold A LOT of knives via USPS and I've NEVER had anything LOST in the mail. Delayed, yes, but NEVER lost.

If you're worried, ship it via US Priority Mail w/additional insurance over the $50 that's included, if it makes you feel better, but I really don't think that's necessary.

well, I ended up hiding the brouwer, and two z cuts in the checked luggage ( in the dirty clothes)
everything made it home unscathed. thanks to everyone for their input

So when people travel with guns they have to get a TSA approved lock which makes TSA accountable. Why couldn't the same be done with a knife. Use a TSA approved lock and it makes them accountable for your items since they have to unlock it and can't claim that just anyone could have gone into the bag.

So when people travel with guns they have to get a TSA approved lock which makes TSA accountable. Why couldn't the same be done with a knife. Use a TSA approved lock and it makes them accountable for your items since they have to unlock it and can't claim that just anyone could have gone into the bag.
I’ve made many US Domestic flights with firearms over the last two years. TSA locks are discouraged in favor of regular old padlocks (TSA key copies aren’t all that secure 😉). Firearms are declared at check-in and subject to extra screening. The owner is asked to hang around the baggage counter for an extra 20 minutes and provide keys to the authorities, if asked.

I‘m of the opinion (baseless opinion) that TSA locks on regular luggage just make a bag stand out for pilfering.

I’ve made many US Domestic flights with firearms over the last two years. TSA locks are discouraged in favor of regular old padlocks (TSA key copies aren’t all that secure 😉). Firearms are declared at check-in and subject to extra screening. The owner is asked to hang around the baggage counter for an extra 20 minutes and provide keys to the authorities, if asked.

I‘m of the opinion (baseless opinion) that TSA locks on regular luggage just make a bag stand out for pilfering.

so how does tsa open case to see firearm if they wish to? Or do they?

I would mail them home. Baggage handlers/TSA steal a lot of stuff.

Btw, you can blame the flight attendants union for us not being allowed any knives in carry-on. It was going to be allowed again and they fought it hard. So if you are flying somewhere and want a knife, multitool, etc you have to go through the bs and expense ($40 bag fee on my last flight) of checking a bag and risking having it stolen.

I put my knife/knives in check in, zip lock the zippers that way as soon as I pick up my bag at the carousel I know if someone has been in it. Last time asked an airport policeman to snip the zip tie on my way out.

Back