folding knife for 8 year old

Rat 2 fits your Criteria pretty well.
If you can do without the black blade, I also suggest the Spyderco Dragonfly.
You can get the Dragonfly in Black, Green with ZDP-189(my favorite), Foliage Green G-10, Orange, and Pink.
The Spyderco Urban can also be had in orange with a wharncliffe blade.

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated. His number one request was that it have a black blade, which certainly narrows the selection.

Black blade... colorful handle... Ka-Bar Dozier. Without a doubt. I have two sitting on my desk and 8 year old me very much approves.

Honestly I wouldn't get him a locking knife as he might develop a bad habit early on relying on it. Right now if you get him a slipjoint it will just collapse on him when he goes the wrong way and cut himself which in general is a band aid. With a locking knife if he manages to break the lock there is going to be a lot of pressure in it already and I can pretty much guarantee stitches, or worst case scenario a missing digit. And trust me you only have the knife collapse on your once or twice for you to fully understand and get the concept "I don't do THAT" with a knife. I know that is how it was with me and everyone else I talked to who started with a slipjoint. And this doesn't just go for kids, but adults too I have seen a lot of improper knife use from adults who never handled anything but a fixed blade or locking knife.

Victorinox/Wenger AKA Swiss Army Knives AKA SAKs, makes some pretty good slipjoints in general your choice is red/black/silver minus a few which are colorful. My personal choice for an 8 year old would be an Victorinox Cadet, Recruit, Farmer, Camper. (I have held a Wenger, but never owned one. I just prefer Victorinox instead, but I have no issue with carrying a Wenger if given the option.)

Just looked at the price range and a Spyderco slipjoint such as the UK Penknife or Spy DK would do good if they wanted more of a modern folder.

This is kind of like saying you shouldn't let someone use the oven until they have the toaster figured out. If you want a Pop Tart that's fine but if you want some cookies there could be some issues. Why you would advise willingly risking a knife collapsing on a child's hand to "teach them" is beyond my understanding. You teach them by TEACHING THEM. This is a knife. It is sharp as hell. Cut this way. Cut that way. Do not cut like this. Never cut like that. If your kid is stupid enough to injure themselves after breaking a locking knife it's YOUR FAULT that you didn't teach them the proper way to use it and supervise them properly while they were.

This is kind of like saying you shouldn't let someone use the oven until they have the toaster figured out. If you want a Pop Tart that's fine but if you want some cookies there could be some issues. Why you would advise willingly risking a knife collapsing on a child's hand to "teach them" is beyond my understanding. You teach them by TEACHING THEM. This is a knife. It is sharp as hell. Cut this way. Cut that way. Do not cut like this. Never cut like that. If your kid is stupid enough to injure themselves after breaking a locking knife it's YOUR FAULT that you didn't teach them the proper way to use it and supervise them properly while they were.

Simple some things are done no matter what you teach them, you end up doing it and you have to learn from experience. This is one of them in my opinion, it is dang hard to hold their hand forever and watch them like a hawk to make sure they don't move the blade the wrong direction and rely on the lock because it is such a small subtle move a lot of times. With a slipjoint you get an instant feedback of the knife wanting to collapse back into the handle which is may or may not do depending on the force. That is also where they will most likely do their screw ups will be and have a blade collapse or almost collapse on a light duty task where the force will be just the weight of the blade snapping shut or slightly more if you teach them right and not to do anything stupid like try to stab pieces of wood, etc. The other time they will most likely cut themselves is closing the knife by having their fingers in the way as it snaps shut, once again it is not something you can always prevent as it happens fast and will usually result in a band aid and nothing more. (If you don't fully understand this I urge you to grab a slipjoint and put it in a piece of thick cardboard halfway and push upwards SLOWLY till it starts to disengage, you will see it and feel it. Feel free to wear leather work gloves. That is the feedback I want them to learn from as it's hard to always spot and only takes a couple pounds of pressure to do that at most. Now do that to a locking knife and it is rock solid and doesn't tell you that your doing something wrong.)

On top of the feedback they get with using the knife in such a way that they rely on the lock and keeping their fingers clear while closing the blade it will be harder to use it as a pry bar. That is due to the nature of the knife, using it as a pry bar is quite a bit harder because if you wiggle it slightly the blade will want to collapse into the handle. These are the skills you want to develop and enforce. A locking knife will allow you to have a lot more leeway with using a knife improperly by letting you do these things more and let them develop bad habits. That has far more potential for serious injury when something does fail than getting a few band aids when your 8 because you used your slipjoint improperly.

And if your telling me you can keep track of a child 100% of the time so they NEVER get hurt I say your full of it, kids get hurt all the time, scrap knees, bumps, bruises, etc. It can take less time for them to screw up and get hurt than for you to yell "NO" for something to happen. You should be teaching them what to do and not to do, but also not be afraid to let them learn from experience when you can stack all the odds in their favor for them not getting seriously hurt if it means they be better down the line. It's kind of like riding a bike, it may be safer to keep them with training wheels but one day you have to take them off and when you do you should make their they are decked out in padding and have a few band aids ready as they will fall a few times before they learn how to stay up no matter how much you instruct or supervise them.

Dragonfly or a delica, both great and are made in different colours. No black blades, but still great!

Good luck!

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated. His number one request was that it have a black blade, which certainly narrows the selection.
Thankyou for commenting, ggroot.
Don't be put off by some of the strange comments. There was recently a thread like this for a 12yo. There was a lot of arguement about knives for youngsters, many good suggestions, but the OP never commented or thanked anybody.

Thanks for coming back! :) At least you aren't just the "1 and done" type.

I still recommend a Kershaw Scallion. They come in all black, or with a silver blade and choice of different handle color.

I'd go with the Kabar Dozier or an Ontario Rat I or II depending on what you think is best.

SAK Cadet. Opinel 6. Black blade and real locks can wait until his 10th, after he learns knife safety.

The lionsteel 8800 OR Opera is the exact knife you're looking for

lion-steel-8800-or-large.jpg

That said, you're a jackass for handing it to an 8 year old. Don't bother with return arguments because I won't be back to read them. I hope you have good insurance and I bid you farewell sir.

Something simple, tough and cheap... I remember losing my first knife about that age... (sniff!)

Simple some things are done no matter what you teach them, you end up doing it and you have to learn from experience. This is one of them in my opinion, it is dang hard to hold their hand forever and watch them like a hawk to make sure they don't move the blade the wrong direction and rely on the lock because it is such a small subtle move a lot of times. With a slipjoint you get an instant feedback of the knife wanting to collapse back into the handle which is may or may not do depending on the force. That is also where they will most likely do their screw ups will be and have a blade collapse or almost collapse on a light duty task where the force will be just the weight of the blade snapping shut or slightly more if you teach them right and not to do anything stupid like try to stab pieces of wood, etc. The other time they will most likely cut themselves is closing the knife by having their fingers in the way as it snaps shut, once again it is not something you can always prevent as it happens fast and will usually result in a band aid and nothing more. (If you don't fully understand this I urge you to grab a slipjoint and put it in a piece of thick cardboard halfway and push upwards SLOWLY till it starts to disengage, you will see it and feel it. Feel free to wear leather work gloves. That is the feedback I want them to learn from as it's hard to always spot and only takes a couple pounds of pressure to do that at most. Now do that to a locking knife and it is rock solid and doesn't tell you that your doing something wrong.)

On top of the feedback they get with using the knife in such a way that they rely on the lock and keeping their fingers clear while closing the blade it will be harder to use it as a pry bar. That is due to the nature of the knife, using it as a pry bar is quite a bit harder because if you wiggle it slightly the blade will want to collapse into the handle. These are the skills you want to develop and enforce. A locking knife will allow you to have a lot more leeway with using a knife improperly by letting you do these things more and let them develop bad habits. That has far more potential for serious injury when something does fail than getting a few band aids when your 8 because you used your slipjoint improperly.

And if your telling me you can keep track of a child 100% of the time so they NEVER get hurt I say your full of it, kids get hurt all the time, scrap knees, bumps, bruises, etc. It can take less time for them to screw up and get hurt than for you to yell "NO" for something to happen. You should be teaching them what to do and not to do, but also not be afraid to let them learn from experience when you can stack all the odds in their favor for them not getting seriously hurt if it means they be better down the line. It's kind of like riding a bike, it may be safer to keep them with training wheels but one day you have to take them off and when you do you should make their they are decked out in padding and have a few band aids ready as they will fall a few times before they learn how to stay up no matter how much you instruct or supervise them.

No irons in this fire, but as a child I was taught how to use my first knife (a slipjoint) correctly and I still ended up with the blade closing on my finger. That little cut cemented the correct use in my memory.

If there were any more overthinking in this post you may have solved the twin prime conjecture.

Back