Folding or Automatic?

Hello all and again, I've scoured the internet and i could not find a forum or thread who touched up on this topic or question, so i will make a thread here. Please let me know if i am mistaken in that sense.
I am currently torn between the Benchmade Turret and the Pro-tech Tr-3, and since i couldn't and still can't decide, i want to know, is there any noticeable differences between a good folding knife versus a good automatic knife, in terms of durability, and which would last longer as an every day carry user? ---
i read about certain automatic knives (not disclosing company) that failed to fire when they were needed most (military testimonial) - because the coil spring malfunctioned, got stuck or just broke, so it was concerning some.
Im a loyal Benchmade user, to clarify, if i had to choose between Benchmade and Spyderco, id choose Benchmade, but i don't exclusively only use Benchmade. Ive heard nothing but amazing things about Pro-tech, so lets say im currently at an impasse

Last edited:
My experience with side-opening autos is limited -- I've owned one, years ago -- but it led me to conclude that I'd always rather have a manual or assisted opener. No quality concerns, I just don't really see the point.

I'd love to try an OTF, though. That's a distinctly different functionality that I can't get from a manual knife. Fingers crossed they'll get legalized in WA in the next legislative session.

My experience with side-opening autos is limited -- I've owned one, years ago -- but it led me to conclude that I'd always rather have a manual or assisted opener. No quality concerns, I just don't really see the point.

I'd love to try an OTF, though. That's a distinctly different functionality that I can't get from a manual knife. Fingers crossed they'll get legalized in WA in the next legislative session.

To give a little background, i live in california, and they will be the last state to follow suite, should they follow at all (different story), so im aware that autos are largely illegal here, which means, if i bought the pro-tech and (heavens forbid) had to use it as a weapon, i will be in some legal trouble for using an illegal knife as a weapon, so to summarize my EDC knife is a tool before its a weapon, always, but it needs to function well as both; which is what a knife essentially is --- mankinds oldest tool and weapon, so likely i won't carry a double edge anything, or a tanto, limits use, blah blah blah

Autos are not for me, but I support the right to own and carry one.

A Benchmade with an axis lock opens and closes pretty efficiently. If speed and one hand opening and closing were a priority. Benchmade is the way to go.

If reliability was the only thing, fixed blade is the way to go.

There is a certain cool factor to autos, OTFs, Dual action, and hidden release knives.

Variety is the spice of life. In time you can have some of each.

If it was my first or only knife, I think I'd skip the autos.

Most of my knives are fixed, but i have some folders, mostly benchmade, one emerson sheepdog and a spyderco native, couple of cold steels too, seems like the turret was purpose-built for action, based off what I've seen, i have a presidio in CF-elite coming, so i might as well stick with the family

Autos are not for me, but I support the right to own and carry one.

A Benchmade with an axis lock opens and closes pretty efficiently. If speed and one hand opening and closing were a priority. Benchmade is the way to go.

ive seen goofballs on youtube snapping their wrists violently to open their Bms and all i remember saying is "wtf are you doing? it only needs an "olley-oop", there's a way to propel the motion to deploy the knife that doesn't require a force of nature

Many non-assisted opening folders (Spyderco, Benchmade, Emerson and others) can be deployed just as quickly if not even more quickly than autos, and they are less complicated.

that's true, especially with ball-bearing technology, my sheepdog opens on its own just by flipping it upside down (point to floor)

ive seen goofballs on youtube snapping their wrists violently to open their Bms and all i remember saying is "wtf are you doing? it only needs an "olley-oop", there's a way to propel the motion to deploy the knife that doesn't require a force of nature

Funny you said it that way. I think I agree with you and was going to say my Benchmades fall open from gravity. But gravity is a force of nature.

I think it's as much personal preference as anything. Pro-Tech makes a top-quality auto and a top-quality knife overall. The TR-3 is a great knife and can probably handle anything 99.9% of users can throw at it. It and the LUDT are really top notch side openers. That said, I tend to personally favor manual folders that are relatively easy to service (with readily available spare parts I can keep on hand), can be detailed stripped and reassembled in a pinch, don't depend on springs, and are not highly-sensitive to lubrication (which some other autos can be.) I currently own a TR-3, but it's the manual version with a titanium frame lock, that isn't dependent upon springs or bearings and is extremely basic in its core construction. Pro-Tech sadly discontinued it, but I really like it.

Funny you said it that way. I think I agree with you and was going to say my Benchmades fall open from gravity. But gravity is a force of nature.
a couple of my past "close-knit" jobs required me to learn how to open manual folders while being smashed between pallets of boxes.. don't ask, but it is highly doable, just a learned skill, like anything else

Modern folders are so fast and easy to open I hardly see the need for an auto, other than the cool factor. One could argue that the wave is even faster than an auto (assuming speed is the concern) since it is opening on the draw.

But your question was about durability, and there a manual opener has the edge. The more complicated a system is, the more places it can fail. Add to that the fact that autos are illegal where you are and the choice is clear.

I think it's as much personal preference as anything. Pro-Tech makes a top-quality auto and a top-quality knife overall. The TR-3 is a great knife and can probably handle anything 99.9% of users can throw at it. It and the LUDT are really top notch side openers. That said, I tend to personally favor manual folders that are relatively easy to service (with readily available spare parts I can keep on hand), can be detailed stripped and reassembled in a pinch, don't depend on springs, and are not highly-sensitive to lubrication (which some other autos can be.) I currently own a TR-3, but it's the manual version with a titanium frame lock, that isn't dependent upon springs or bearings and is extremely basic in its core construction. Pro-Tech sadly discontinued it, but I really like it.

if i could have a couple of hard use folders, ill be happy, im not trying to drown in an ocean of knives, the presidio and turret would be a dynamic duo and would make sense, pairing optics alone. i don't do anything stupid like hack on trees or pry with a knife's tip, i am however creative with using a knife, that said, i try to use the right tool for the job, automatics are pretty touchy but what gets me is the many good things about protech, even if its a still young company

Side-opening coil spring automatics shouldn't "fail to fire". The spring is "wound" past the arc of it opening, so there's always enough tension to open it all the way. If it doesn't open all the way then the pivot is cranked down to tight or there's gunk or grit or something inhibiting the action. I've heard of some instances of "bounce back", where the action is so strong that smacks against the stop and bounces back a bit; if the user doesn't hold the button until the blade locks, it might get "stuck" in a not-quite-open position. This could be a manufacturing default, or again, might be because of grit or lack of lube.

If an auto has this problem despite cleaning/lubing/adjusting, then it needs to go back for service or replacement. However, even one that functions perfectly in practice will always be less reliable than a manual opener, by its own nature (and all will be less reliable than a fixed blade, but that's a different topic of discussion). In typical daily, urban use, a side-opening auto will be sufficiently reliable. If it's for self defense, there's many, many arguments against carrying an auto that go beyond mechanical reliability. If you're in the military and deploying to a sandbox, the extra dirt and grit and whatnot can certainly impede reliability, but that's true for anything you might rely on.

Modern folders are so fast and easy to open I hardly see the need for an auto, other than the cool factor. One could argue that the wave is even faster than an auto (assuming speed is the concern) since it is opening on the draw.

But your question was about durability, and there a manual opener has the edge. The more complicated a system is, the more places it can fail. Add to that the fact that autos are illegal where you are and the choice is clear.

i may have to agree, i don't know if the difference between auto speed and manual speed will alter an "emergency", ive only had to threaten one person with a knife in my life and it was a homeless guy at night with a titanium diving knife of all things, since then, nothing. therefore, the speed of an automatic may not make a difference

Yes, there is a difference. An auto knife will get you into trouble, a manual folding knife will not.

Young? They've been around for over 20 years and are well established company with a solid reputation for quality and excellent customer service.
i understand their history, i meant no disrespect, was only mentally comparing to other companies that have been around longer

Back