Folding or Automatic?

Nice to hear the praises for Protech since born and raised can't help but feel a sense of pride I guess similar to how Chris Reeves feels on Idaho. #USAmade. Speaking of USA made I've owned various Benchmade's and the axis lock was a concern. Never had a problem with them but heard of cases where they failed. One thing about Protech is everything locks up tight and no shakes or wobbles where as in a few of the Benchmade's had the opposed and just felt more flimsy. There's pressure/stress testes to prove the axis locks but it is more of a personal feeling when in hand. Hard to go wrong with a Spyderco compression lock as never heard of one of them failing.

They do make Cali-legal autos, so unless there's also a municipal ordinance that addresses autos, there are options.

That's a damn shame after only about a month of regular carry. Sometimes the Microtech springs pop off or thing get off track or gunked up. Did you try shooting rem oil down the top blade hole opening for about 10-20 seconds then turn the knife upside down and attempt to fire? This can fix the problem sometimes. Otherwise they aren't that tricky if you get a tool from "other places" and unclog things. Hard to imagine a spring breaking with normal usage in such a short time as sounds like got clogged up. My ultratech did this and took apart and cleaned and re-assembled and oiled and now better than when I received.

I haven't tried the rem oil solution, though I have used other gun oil. What seemed to foretell a doom I could not repair with my one hammer and my one screwdriver was a super stiff slidey switch, a pretty harsh metallic grind/snap, and a total failure of the OTF to launch. Now that I've managed to stuff/jiggle/force the blade back into the handle, and I've contacted Microtech for a service number, I'm almost to good to go on sending it back for repair. Now I just need the time.

I'd highly suggest whatever you carry be legal in your area. The last thing you need in legal issues I'm sure.

I'd pick the Turret for now since I know the auto is illegal.

I've never had issues with a BM spring but several people on this forum had them break.

I'd also consider a Spyderco Para 2/3 (depending on the size of your hand) or the Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter (quickly becoming one of my favorites).
with regard to edc and repeated heavy daily use, the turret wins only because its a beefy knife, but with regard to reliability, they may be on par

Nice to hear the praises for Protech since born and raised can't help but feel a sense of pride I guess similar to how Chris Reeves feels on Idaho. #USAmade. Speaking of USA made I've owned various Benchmade's and the axis lock was a concern. Never had a problem with them but heard of cases where they failed. One thing about Protech is everything locks up tight and no shakes or wobbles where as in a few of the Benchmade's had the opposed and just felt more flimsy. There's pressure/stress testes to prove the axis locks but it is more of a personal feeling when in hand. Hard to go wrong with a Spyderco compression lock as never heard of one of them failing.

I've only had one problem with a benchmade (my first) mini griptillian, literally came apart in my pocket, i pulled out washers, the scale, the blade, weirdest thing, steered clear for years and gave them another chance, with the exception of needing to tighten the bugout, there's been no issue, as always, use the right tool for the job, don't try to baton a sapling with a log and a benchmade then complain if there's play afterwards

i went to protech.com and read the testimonials, if they are to be taken as fact, one guy said he ran it over with a car and lost it in the snow for a week ( ?) then found it by digging around, put it in his pocket and after 3 months it needed only a small tweaking to the hex nut,

Hello all and again, I've scoured the internet and i could not find a forum or thread who touched up on this topic or question, so i will make a thread here. Please let me know if i am mistaken in that sense.
I am currently torn between the Benchmade Turret and the Pro-tech Tr-3, and since i couldn't and still can't decide, i want to know, is there any noticeable differences between a good folding knife versus a good automatic knife, in terms of durability, and which would last longer as an every day carry user? ---
i read about certain automatic knives (not disclosing company) that failed to fire when they were needed most (military testimonial) - because the coil spring malfunctioned, got stuck or just broke, so it was concerning some.
Im a loyal Benchmade user, to clarify, if i had to choose between Benchmade and Spyderco, id choose Benchmade, but i don't exclusively only use Benchmade. Ive heard nothing but amazing things about Pro-tech, so lets say im currently at an impasse

It's been my experience in life that the people who have problems with their stuff are the same people that do not take care of their stuff.
I prefer automatics. I do not like thumbstuds, thumbholes, or flipper tabs. If my auto doesn't open when I need it to then I will make it open. And later when I get the time, I'll fix it. I try to think ahead about the possibility that a spring may break. That's why I already bought an assortment of auto button and coil springs in case I need one someday. As well as bushings of various thicknesses and other parts.
I just realize that sometimes things fail for various reasons and I choose to take a proactive approach. Tomorrow or Wednesday I will disassemble my new Kershaw Launch 1 to examine everything and put the edge that I want on it. If the stock springs in it look inferior to the high quality springs that I have, then I'll replace them. Same goes with the bushings.

I haven't tried the rem oil solution, though I have used other gun oil. What seemed to foretell a doom I could not repair with my one hammer and my one screwdriver was a super stiff slidey switch, a pretty harsh metallic grind/snap, and a total failure of the OTF to launch. Now that I've managed to stuff/jiggle/force the blade back into the handle, and I've contacted Microtech for a service number, I'm almost to good to go on sending it back for repair. Now I just need the time.

Sounds like yours is a little different situation. Microtech has great service and always came through for me 100 percent as good as it gets. You are in good hands.

I've only had one problem with a benchmade (my first) mini griptillian, literally came apart in my pocket, i pulled out washers, the scale, the blade, weirdest thing, steered clear for years and gave them another chance, with the exception of needing to tighten the bugout, there's been no issue, as always, use the right tool for the job, don't try to baton a sapling with a log and a benchmade then complain if there's play afterwards

i went to protech.com and read the testimonials, if they are to be taken as fact, one guy said he ran it over with a car and lost it in the snow for a week ( ?) then found it by digging around, put it in his pocket and after 3 months it needed only a small tweaking to the hex nut,

That is freaky about the mini grip. Don't blame ya either for taking a hiatus from Benchmade. I owned a few Benchmades over the years then after getting into autos, picked up an older 3550 (now the Stimulus) and was incredibly solid. The most solid knife ever actually and built like a small torpedo. Also had an AFO II for a bit and another super well made strong and reliable knife. I'd trust my life with an AFO II for sure. Benchmade makes good autos and for all purpose knife, the AFO II blows just about every Benchmade manual folder out there to shame.....super comfy versatile grip, ample blade with little play, beefy design and construction, safety, and Benchmade warranty. Also the satin finish is really nice at letting media you cut slide right off or through and the AL handles are super thick. This knife has been around and perfected over the years. Hard to go back to a manual Benchmade after enjoying an auto Benchmade IMO.

The reviews seem on par with the Protech I've come across, especially the SA5 (Protech Strider) in SS and G10. You could probably run over it with a tank and would just push an imprint into the ground. The aluminum handles on other models hold up decently too and some say Protech has the best spring action out there.

I just realize that sometimes things fail for various reasons and I choose to take a proactive approach. Tomorrow or Wednesday I will disassemble my new Kershaw Launch 1 to examine everything and put the edge that I want on it. If the stock springs in it look inferior to the high quality springs that I have, then I'll replace them. Same goes with the bushings.

The Launch 1 is an awesome knife. Love the lines and feel in the hand and has an amazing amount of actual cutting edge. The action isn't the fastest but worked for me. You'll likely replace or update springs if you prefer knock-out-of hand action but also the Launch 1 works decently as a manual too. You get a lot of awesomeness for under $100.

The Launch 1 is an awesome knife. Love the lines and feel in the hand and has an amazing amount of actual cutting edge. The action isn't the fastest but worked for me. You'll likely replace or update springs if you prefer knock-out-of hand action but also the Launch 1 works decently as a manual too. You get a lot of awesomeness for under $100.

Mine is a 7100BW with a USA made CPM154 Black-Stonewash blade. I love this blade finish!

ive seen those, the runt or brend? super small, I'm a fan of the philosophy that a 5 inch knife can do the chores of a 2 inch knife, but not the other way around

The smallest ProTech Brend is 2.9", so it's not Cali-legal. You might be thinking of the Sprint (basically a small version of the Newport). I live in a very permissive state as far as carrying knives go, and a 5" blade would probably require a CCW permit to have in a pocket (you could open carry, though). But, most people don't have any work in their everyday life where they'd need a 5" folding knife. If all you use an EDC knife for is cutting paper, cardboard, packaging, tape, loose thread, etc., you aren't really losing much with a small knife unless your hands are big enough that you can't physically control the little blade.

When I initially started carrying knives they were almost exclusively autos and I don't recall ever having one fail. My dad used to gift me various Benchmades, Microtechs, Paragons, and a few Pro-Techs (he was a huge collector at the time) as a teen and I, being unaware of their prices, would proceed to beat the crap out of them. I (regrettably) sold a few, but still use a Benchmade AFO regularly for yard work. Still no problems with it! I have more recent experience with Microtech and Pro-Tech and I would say either company would provide you with a great EDC auto.

aYTOmQU.jpg

The good thing about autos with coil springs is you can easily change a broken spring.
I've only had to do it once and it was a piece of cake.

Here's a few worthy contenders , all under $100

launch3.jpg

The Kershaw Launch 3, as pictured above by 'JPD1998' in Olive/Black, is a real winner in the bang-for-your-buck category for autos. I have the Black/Black version and absolutely love it.

As for Pro-Tech, I can't say enough about their customer service. I had one of their autos fail to deploy (spring slipped). I contacted them, sent it back and they fixed it for free + sent me several stickers and a free T-Shirt. The knife has functioned flawlessly since. I was so impressed by their customer service, that I bought the Malibu (button lock) as soon as I found one in stock. Another fantastic knife by Pro-Tech and a customer for life. Wow!

I am hesitant to carry my autos in a lot of places due to the aggressive nature of their deployment. In the right place they are a lot of fun and very convenient. In the wrong setting, though, they can scare the more delicate amongst us, and that's in addition to the standard legality concerns. Enjoy them responsibly.

My favorite knife is the Spyderco Para 3. It can be deployed extremely fast, and as so many others have mentioned, its compression lock is quite fun to fidget with. It's not the prettiest thing, but it is extremely functional. Now, if Sal and Eric ever decide to slap a compression lock on the Native 5, or release a Lil' Shaman/Shaman Mini, then we're talking about a hallmark knife. It would be the best knife period, and I would own one in Carbon Fiber/S90V... and probably many, many, many other configurations.

The Kershaw Launch 3, as pictured above by 'JPD1998' in Olive/Black, is a real winner in the bang-for-your-buck category for autos. I have the Black/Black version and absolutely love it.

As for Pro-Tech, I can't say enough about their customer service. I had one of their autos fail to deploy (spring slipped). I contacted them, sent it back and they fixed it for free + sent me several stickers and a free T-Shirt. The knife has functioned flawlessly since. I was so impressed by their customer service, that I bought the Malibu (button lock) as soon as I found one in stock. Another fantastic knife by Pro-Tech and a customer for life. Wow!

I am hesitant to carry my autos in a lot of places due to the aggressive nature of their deployment. In the right place they are a lot of fun and very convenient. In the wrong setting, though, they can scare the more delicate amongst us, and that's in addition to the standard legality concerns. Enjoy them responsibly.

My favorite knife is the Spyderco Para 3. It can be deployed extremely fast, and as so many others have mentioned, its compression lock is quite fun to fidget with. It's not the prettiest thing, but it is extremely functional. Now, if Sal and Eric ever decide to slap a compression lock on the Native 5, or release a Lil' Shaman/Shaman Mini, then we're talking about a hallmark knife. It would be the best knife period, and I would own one in Carbon Fiber/S90V... and probably many, many, many other configurations.

there are indeed those who shy away with anything other than a swiss army, i noticed BHQ dropped the tr-3 operator and they were all sold out in under 10 minutes, it was 250 a piece and wasn't ready to bite that bullet so fast, so lucky them. right now, I'm looking at an AFO2 or a tr-3, i don't want to collect autos, just have one for edc/self defense and then be done with it, i just got my benchmade presidio in CF elite, and i think at this point, one more purchase and im done with black class tactical folders, cause after all, how many do you need? i also have an iconic coming, so im good in the karmbit department as well. so long post short, my last purchase, at least for the foreseeable future will be either, a turret, tr-3 or an afo2.

Back