1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Found in parking lot

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Nathan Temple, Jul 23, 2018.

1. steelhead seeker

steelhead seeker

Aug 1, 2014
    I had two, one was stolen. Sickening feeling. Still have the other though. Been safe guarding it since but recently I've been thinking about sending it to benchmade and getting a new blade put on it ( it's got serrations and I hate them) and start carrying it. I hate the idea that it'll just live in a drawer.

TheEdge01 likes this.
  2. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    Googled:
    How many days that these std viruses survive in the outside environment like in semen, blood, Water, toilet and toilet water/paper, razors, tooth brush, floors etc and what if you touch those viruses from environment mentioned and kept your hand in mouth/nose/ears/eyes/penis/anus etc, do you get infected with any STDs ?

Answer:

We do not see sexually transmitted infections (STI) passing the way you describe.

The bacteria and viruses that cause most of the sexually transmitted infections (STI) do not survive for long when they are out of the body. We also find that you need to come in direct contact with the STI when having sex by either coming in contact with sexual fluids while having sex or from direct skin to skin contact with the person’s genitals.

Please leave a comment to let us know if this answers your question or if you need more information.

Health Nurse

3. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Get a large bottle of bleach from the dollar store and go to town on that sucker.

4. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Yeeech....I collect antiques from around the globe....imagine what some of these knives have been through over ten or more generations of owners. It's a good thing that I am not a germaphobe.

n2s

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  5. Nathan Temple

Nathan Temple

Jul 18, 2018
    It very well could be, in fact i think ive heard about that before. However i found this in yakima, Washington, which is not known for its knife making, but rather for being a pretty shady place.

Btw if anyone knows if/where they sell shirts with the palm springs of Washington sign on them, id be happy to hear it. Would totaly buy one, ive always thought it would be so funny to have a shirt with that sign on it!

6. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    While that may be true, setting the knife in a bowl with a Clorox/Water mix for an hour would certainly make me feel better about it...

Pomsbz and Nathan Temple like this.
  7. Nathan Temple

Nathan Temple

Jul 18, 2018
    I feel the same way, in fact i think ill do that!

jbmonkey likes this.
  8. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I suspect that knife did come from a big box store. Funny about Walmart..... years ago I would look at knives in their case and I bought a Spyderco Native there. I bought a Buck 110 at Gander Mountain (when they were still in business), and SAKs at a few big box stores. I exclude such stores as Bass Pro and similar.... Honestly, these days, I haven't really looked at knives in Walmart in years. So, I sort of chuckle about your comment and I know you visit Wallyworld. I suspect that is about it in terms of availability in your area. I probably visit Walmart on average about once a week, sometimes twice. So, they get a lot of my money.

9. SteelJunkee

SteelJunkee Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2018
  10. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Be sure to dilute it. Chlorox is very caustic stuff. Most things (germs and viruses) don't survive long outside the body. The exception might be ring worms, but they are bugs, not germs/viruses. Hospitals use the living crap out of chlorox for sterilizng things.

11. folder geek

folder geek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Just an fyi ringworm is actually a skin infection caused by a fungus, not a bug. In our ER we use a combo of chlorhexadine and bleach. The problem with bleach is that it's very caustic and will damage/stain equipment.
    Cheers

To address the OP best I have down was find a leatherman. One of the old original designs. Unfortunately lost that one.

JJ_Colt45 likes this.
  12. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    It's about once a month for me.
    And as far as knives goes, a few of my airguns love a couple types of pellets they have so I'm in the section anyways. Im a knife guy so I gotta look.

Btw I just realized I have a mossy oak fixed blade,
    My brother gave me a box of junk when he moved out of state and it was In there.
    I believe it came with some kind of replaceable bladed folding hunter.

13. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Thanks for the ring worm comment. I was thinking of those little intestinal worms.... tape worms. Worms used to be an issues in public restrooms. I remember my Mother cautioning me about that.

Hickory, I'm a very regular Wallyworld customer. Just don't look at knives there. I would suspect I spend thousands of dollars over the course of a year. There are something like 20 Walmart stores within 30 miles of me. (edited distance)

14. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    Depending where I found a knife, I'd try to see if there was a way to leave my number if anyone was looking for it. Lost and found, or whatever they had onsite.

May be a cheapo, but may have meant something to the owner. Who knows how it got there, so I'd also be aware of any crimes it was used in, and possibly a benefit to the police.

15. Michael Pattarozzi

Michael Pattarozzi

Jul 15, 2018
    I once found a Rolex watch in a parking lot. I thought it might be a knock off, but the Rolex jeweler said it was legitimate. I turned it in to the sheriff's office. I don't know if it was ever claimed. SO has a policy of not returning found items if not claimed. I am a geologist so I am always looking at the ground, but I did have a professor that told me that if you are always looking at the ground, you miss a lot of sunsets.

Nathan Temple likes this.
  16. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    You also slip and fall a whole lot less in the woods/mountains. Snakes? That means fewer injuries. But we all need time to enjoy a nice sunset or smell the roses. How many paces was that......?;)

17. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    I remember from a book(Fight Club), Tyler Durden said that the Hepatitis virus can survive on a metal spoon for 14 days. Is that true? Obviously it is, Tyler Durden wouldn't lie to us.

That said, I'd definitely clean it up a bit. Even if you don't use bleach, a good soapy bath should do the trick. I definitely wouldn't expect to get an STD off any knife, but Hepatitis is a legitimate concern to me.

18. TravisL

TravisL Gold Member Gold Member

May 15, 2016
    The virus and std comment was a joke for those of us that live in Washington state or have been to Yakima. I don’t think he is really concerned with catching goneria from the knife.

Nathan Temple and Murphjd25 like this.