Found my old SAK in bad shape

I stumbled across my first/old SAK. Some of the tools won't even open or are very tough to open. The liners are corroded.

Any idea on the model?
Year?
How can I attempt to bring it back to life?

Thoughts?!?!

14732305023_1c469667ff_c.jpg

14732304113_b3f7e8d30b_c.jpg

14525788378_8ff83c92dd_c.jpg

14525994037_7d87536655_c.jpg

I don´t know exactely which model it is. But the awl is telling that it is a pretty old model.

I would try out this site for further information http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php

BTW: It looks like a Huntsman model but with a philips screwdriver instead of the corksrew.

Great knife in any way :)

check with the customer service of swiss army brand usa or the importer in your country. since its an quite old model repair will be done in switzerland, good luck.

The knife is ~84mm, so I'm gonna call that its an 'Artisan' model
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Artisan

I came home from work and gave the knife a quick scrub with a toothbrush in a diluted simple green mixture. Believe it or not, it made QUITE the difference. Took off most of the corrosion and crud. The knife, however, is still in poor shape.

Known issues:
1. The two knife blades are scratched and knicked
2. The toothpick and tweezers are missing
3. The scissor spring is broken/missing
4. The phillips screwdriver is missing a 'side'
5. And all five (5) liners.....4 layers of tools....are cracked on the back (awl) side.

It's probably not worth the money for repair, unless its a collectors item. Here is what it looks like now:

14535062918_1b2868607e_c.jpg

14741583273_90c1ef3e3c_c.jpg

14535061798_b29d56fff1_c.jpg

14535070429_2250ebed3f_c.jpg

Thoughts?!?!?

Old SAK's really clean up nicely. My 32+ year old Passenger, which has been the only pocket knife that I used daily from Panama, Bolivia, Colombia, Grenada, Desert Storm, Bosnia, and Afghanistan, and was not particularly cared for well, was pulled out of my safe recently, and was in the condition I left it when I returned home for good from the Hindu Kush...dirty and neglected. I cleaned her up using Goo B Gone and scrubbed with a tooth brush using dishwashing liquid, with a final detailed polish using Flitz. She now sits proudly along side my alox collection, never again to be neglected or forgotten; she's got history.

BEFORE

AFTER

looks the spring of the scissor did one time break off, so that minimum would be worth it for let fix up at the factory.

no wd 40 is not best as it attract water. its hardest in an rivetted construction to remove all the wd 40 after it did loose up.

WD = water displacement. Perhaps you meant it attracts dirt which it can if not removed. Primary use is as a mild solvent and rust remover. Had an old slip joint in similar condition soaked in WD-40 for 2 weeks loosened up well, removed most of the rust and grit inside the joints. Rinsed well in hot, soapy water and dried with hair dryer to remove all water. Not perfect but functional.

I have heard people say it is hygroscopic but do not believe it to be true. WD-40 has said it is not hygroscopic.

I have also had great success with soaking a old SAK in WD-40. Everything operates great now. :thumbup:

I would remove the scales first though.

Known issues:
1. The two knife blades are scratched and knicked
2. The toothpick and tweezers are missing
3. The scissor spring is broken/missing
4. The phillips screwdriver is missing a 'side'
5. And all five (5) liners.....4 layers of tools....are cracked on the back (awl) side.

Thoughts?!?!?

Should I contact Victorinox and see what the cost for repair would be? It would surely be more than what the knife is worth, but like others, it has history.

Should I contact Victorinox and see what the cost for repair would be? It would surely be more than what the knife is worth, but like others, it has history.

You’ll have to pay shipping at least one way. The actual repair will be free.

Be sure to insist that particular knife has sentimental value. Otherwise Victorinox will replace it with the closest equivalent.

You’ll have to pay shipping at least one way. The actual repair will be free.

Be sure to insist that particular knife has sentimental value. Otherwise Victorinox will replace it with the closest equivalent.

Submitted a request. Will mail it tomorrow.

joust make sure you remove all wd 40 of the sak after treatment and use an better lube for quality knives and tools than that. of all the lubes we tested it did not work well, i suggest either the victorinox brand oil or sentry solution brand products, especially for hash environment. next to the steel there is aluminium parts, on some sak there was no anodising or an weaker one back then and wd 40 and simmilar products are to hard on that over time if not removed properly.

Update......

Sent it in to Victorinox. They responded that the tool was too old and they could not repair it to my desires. It returned home today. I think I will just hang on to it as a keep sake and show it to my kids someday.....maybe when I buy them their first SAK tool!

Update......

Sent it in to Victorinox. They responded that the tool was too old and they could not repair it to my desires. It returned home today. I think I will just hang on to it as a keep sake and show it to my kids someday.....maybe when I buy them their first SAK tool!

Andrew,

Your knife doesn’t have to be repaired to hold memories.

I like Sentry Solutions Tuf-Glide in the needle applicator. Tuf-Glide doesn’t collect dirt or get goopy. The needle bottle gives you precise application.

Should I tell you my White Lightning joke?

Andrew,

Your knife doesn’t have to be repaired to hold memories.

I like Sentry Solutions Tuf-Glide in the needle applicator. Tuf-Glide doesn’t collect dirt or get goopy. The needle bottle gives you precise application.

Should I tell you my White Lightning joke?

I wanted it repaired so I could use it!!!

It's a free country, tell if you wish.

A traveling salesman got lost in the Kentucky hills. He stopped at the only farm in a holler to ask directions. The farmer gave instructions of the “You can’t miss it” sort.
Our hero thanked the man and was about to take his leave.
The farmer said "Sir, I'd be honored if you would share a drink with me afore you go."
The salesman said, "Thanks, but it's too early in the day for me."
The farmer pointed squirrel rifle at our man. "Around here, mister, we take our hospitality seriously. Now I'd be right honored if you'd pick up that jug and take a drink."
"All right, all right." says our hero. And drink he does.
There followed a brief interval of choking and sputtering. "My God, man! That's the foulest forty-rod white lightning I've ever tasted! Calling it panther piss is an insult to the panther!"
The farmer said "Stranger, I plum admire your taste in liquor.
“Here. You hold the gun on me while I drink some."

Back