fountain pen recommendations

I only have one, a Parker Jotter medium tip fountain pen that I got for super cheap when the local office supply store closed. I really like ink cartridges and feel of the pen, and I know they have fine nib options. I don't think you can go wrong with a Parker, and there's tons of options out there from $15 all the way up through $100+

Parker has a program where you can exchange the nib for any style, so if you find a pen you like that doesn't have a fine nib, you can just send it in to get whatever size you want.

The only time I got to try fountain pen was Parker and I didn't like it at all. It wrote only half the time so maybe it was a fluke who knows. Either way I think fountain pens wouldn't have been my thing anyway.

When I'm writing or drawing for longer time I prefer Blackwing pencils.

OP~

I would strongly recommend upping your ante ever so slightly to consider the Caran d’Ache Ecridor range. These are coated with palladium and I find them excellent to write with. They come with a choice of fine, medium or broad nib. It’s all subjective, but the various designs are reminiscent of the Art Deco era. I confess to owning the fountain pen, mechanical pencil and ballpoint in different Ecridor designs.

QLj71ct.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of inexpensive fountain pens, I just ordered a Sailor 1911 Compass to try out. MF nib that reviews say writes like a Western EF. I've been eyeing a 1911S for a while but haven't been able to justify it. Figured this might scratch the itch for a little while longer because we all know once you get something in your head you eventually end up with it anyways... Resistance is futile. ;)

Speaking of inexpensive fountain pens, I just ordered a Sailor 1911 Compass to try out. MF nib that reviews say writes like a Western EF. I've been eyeing a 1911S for a while but haven't been able to justify it. Figured this might scratch the itch for a little while longer because we all know once you get something in your head you eventually end up with it anyways... Resistance is futile. ;)
They look great!

For $100-$150 I’d urge you to consider a vintage Parker 51

they are available fully restored for that price at places like Fountain Pen Hospital and others.

my other $100ish fountain pen is my Pilot retractable

They look great!
Following up on this, as it's been a little over a week with it now. I'm really liking this pen! Probably hasn't stopped me from going either the 1911 or Pro Gear route down the road, but for now I've been enjoying using this one the last week at work and home. And come on... Who doesn't love that blue?! :D

mBfOARO.jpg

I recently purchased a LAMY Safari (fine nib) from the big river store. A little research and reviews, and I figured for $20 I could afford to be disappointed. I am not. I really enjoy writing with it. Something about it makes me pay attention to my penmanship, which could use it. I work in an industrial setting, so I am thinking I'd like to pick up a metal body Kaweco.

I recently purchased a LAMY Safari (fine nib) from the big river store. A little research and reviews, and I figured for $20 I could afford to be disappointed. I am not. I really enjoy writing with it. Something about it makes me pay attention to my penmanship, which could use it. I work in an industrial setting, so I am thinking I'd like to pick up a metal body Kaweco.

When I was in grade school, we were required to use fountain pens for that reason. Esterbrook pens with #9550 nibs which had to be filled from an ink bottle.

Back