Front Flipper Button Lock Design

There are too many thick frame locks out there.
Thin blade button lock would fill a nice niche I think.

I like the edge line very much, too.
Very functional blade design.

Congrats.

Glad you like it! Thanks

Thanks! I'll be keeping this thread update with my progress.

As for your suggestion, I'm not sure I follow you. Make the flipper spine aligned with what?

He’s talking about a back flipper. He didn’t rsalize it was a front flipper.

@dkb45 it’s a front flipper. The spine of the blade is the flipper like a shamwari or boker exskelibur 1.

He’s talking about a back flipper. He didn’t rsalize it was a front flipper.

@dkb45 it’s a front flipper. The spine of the blade is the flipper like a shamwari or boker exskelibur 1.

Ah, Thanks for clearing it up. Yeah, it is a front flipper.

I'm glad you are excited about the knife! There is no waiting list quite yet, once I get some prototyping done and feel good about the lock design I will definitely let you all know and start figuring out orders. I will keep this thread updated with my progress so you can keep up to date. Thanks for your interest!

I have to say, I absolutely love the wire clip too. TBH, that was my first thought when I started designing the knife. I never made a CAD model of it though, I didn't know if it would fit the "style" of the knife. But now that you bring it up, I might have to give it a shot and see how it looks. Thanks!

Check out how wire clip looks on the Spyderco Techno, which is also a slab sided Ti folder. Also please look at the way they did the wire clip on the Techno vs the P’kal. On the techno the wire clip folds over itself to make it a deep carry clip, on the p’kal it does not.

Also check out this version on a Duane Dwyer custom that uses a wider gauge wire. It makes the clip look abit more elegant.

DDC0094-MV945-3.jpg

Anyway please consider it.

Check out how wire clip looks on the Spyderco Techno, which is also a slab sided Ti folder. Also please look at the way they did the wire clip on the Techno vs the P’kal. On the techno the wire clip folds over itself to make it a deep carry clip, on the p’kal it does not.

Also check out this version on a Duane Dwyer custom that uses a wider gauge wire. It makes the clip look abit more elegant.

DDC0094-MV945-3.jpg

I most definitely will consider it. I really do like wire clips and when I put my first list together of knife features I wanted to incorporate in my design that was one of them. I will have to think how I want it to attach and then I'll mock it up in CAD. That wider clip does look good. I'll have to see if I can do it in titanium, then I can anodized it to match the backspacer and button lock! if I do it right I think it will add to the "simple" design I'm going for, maybe even more so than the 3D clip idea.

Thanks!

I most definitely will consider it. I really do like wire clips and when I put my first list together of knife features I wanted to incorporate in my design that was one of them. I will have to think how I want it to attach and then I'll mock it up in CAD. That wider clip does look good. I'll have to see if I can do it in titanium, then I can anodized it to match the backspacer and button lock! if I do it right I think it will add to the "simple" design I'm going for, maybe even more so than the 3D clip idea.

Thanks!

Also please do consider the design where the edge is more inline with the bottom side of the handle when open. I think it looks way more professional like that.

Also while a thin slicey blade is an awesome idea please do not make the tip super thin and fragile.

Also please do consider the design where the edge is more inline with the bottom side of the handle when open. I think it looks way more professional like that.

Also while a thin slicey blade is an awesome idea please do not make the tip super thin and fragile.

I agree that it looks better with the blade lined up with the bottom of the scale in the open position. I'll play with it tomorrow. I might have to forget my idea of having the blade completely hidden by the handle. Although, I've seen knives (like the QuietCarry IQ) that has it both ways. However, when I did that it put the blade edge too close to the edge of the handle in the closed position. I was afraid people would be able to touch the blade with the knife closed. I'll definitely play around with it.

Really excited for this one!

I want it in titanium plz!

Thanks! I'm planning on making it is 6Al-4V titanium.

I like the design. I'd like to see it come in a the 3.25 mark personally. I agree with insipid moniker about making both a high end and a more budget friendly option. Give us middle of the road guys something to look forward to.;)

It would be cool if you could do a pass around here on the forum once you get some made. Get your product in the hands of the enthusiast and I'm sure you'd sale knives.

That's a refreshingly elegant knife. You're getting many good suggestions here, I'll be curious to see the final result.

DDC0094-MV945-3.jpg

Sorry, but that looks "More elegant" to you? *shudders* To me it looks like an after thought "Oh damn, I forgot to add a clip...ah let's just tack on some wire." even the Spyderco version looks nicer. :p:D

Sorry, but that looks "More elegant" to you? *shudders* To me it looks like an after thought "Oh damn, I forgot to add a clip...ah let's just tack on some wire." even the Spyderco version looks nicer. :p:D

I like it. I am suggesting the Spyderco Style with a wider gauge wire as on the Dwyer. If it’s a Ti wire it could be anodized any colour. But then again I’m a huge fan of wire clips altogether.

I love the simplicity of it plus how it looks totally not knifelike when clipped to pocket, especially the deep carry ones as on the Techno.

I agree that it looks better with the blade lined up with the bottom of the scale in the open position. I'll play with it tomorrow. I might have to forget my idea of having the blade completely hidden by the handle. Although, I've seen knives (like the QuietCarry IQ) that has it both ways. However, when I did that it put the blade edge too close to the edge of the handle in the closed position. I was afraid people would be able to touch the blade with the knife closed. I'll definitely play around with it.

Thanks! I'm planning on making it is 6Al-4V titanium.

You can make the blade look pretty sweet even if it is not completely hidden, like this.

16795320787_bab54806cc.jpg

I'm probably the only one that would suggest a sub 3" blade. Many areas in the US have laws against blades over 3". Plus, I feel a gentlemans knife should have a sub 3" blade.

I'm probably the only one that would suggest a sub 3" blade. Many areas in the US have laws against blades over 3". Plus, I feel a gentlemans knife should have a sub 3" blade.

I gotta disagree. The Kizer feist is a popular front flipper that is 2.75 inches. There are several front flippers that are 3.5 inches. 3.25 inches is a rare size for a front flipper. I would like to see more 3.25 inch front flippers on the market.

My 3.25 shamwari is just the ideal size for an edc knife.

I like the design. I'd like to see it come in a the 3.25 mark personally. I agree with insipid moniker about making both a high end and a more budget friendly option. Give us middle of the road guys something to look forward to.;)

It would be cool if you could do a pass around here on the forum once you get some made. Get your product in the hands of the enthusiast and I'm sure you'd sale knives.

I've been going back and forth between 3" and 3.25". If things get going and people like the design I'd be open to a lower cost version. Also, I like the idea of a pass around! You're right, that would be a good way to get the knife some exposure!

That's a refreshingly elegant knife. You're getting many good suggestions here, I'll be curious to see the final result.

Thanks! Stay tuned!

I like it. I am suggesting the Spyderco Style with a wider gauge wire as on the Dwyer. If it’s a Ti wire it could be anodized any colour. But then again I’m a huge fan of wire clips altogether.

I love the simplicity of it plus how it looks totally not knifelike when clipped to pocket, especially the deep carry ones as on the Techno.

You can make the blade look pretty sweet even if it is not completely hidden, like this.

16795320787_bab54806cc.jpg

I'm going to play with the wire clip ronorrow. I have a couple ideas on how to attach it in a unique way that blends with the design of the knife. I do like the shape of the Spyderco clips better (especially the deep carry versions) but I like the idea of slightly thicker guage wire.

You're not the only one! I'm with you, I still haven't decided on blade length for sure.

I've been going back and forth between 3" and 3.25". If things get going and people like the design I'd be open to a lower cost version. Also, I like the idea of a pass around! You're right, that would be a good way to get the knife some exposure!

Thanks! Stay tuned!

I'm going to play with the wire clip ronorrow. I have a couple ideas on how to attach it in a unique way that blends with the design of the knife. I do like the shape of the Spyderco clips better (especially the deep carry versions) but I like the idea of slightly thicker guage wire.

You're not the only one! I'm with you, I still haven't decided on blade length for sure.

3 or 3.25 would be fine. Just please not under 3.

How about a 3.75in Front Flipper? 3.25 at the lowest would be my pick too, most front flippers are 3.5 and below, so something bigger would be cool.

How about a 3.75in Front Flipper? 3.25 at the lowest would be my pick too, most front flippers are 3.5 and below, so something bigger would be cool.

Nooooooo! Noooo! Please nooo!!!

Part of what makes front flippers cool is their potential for a minimalist sleek light design. It defeats the purpose of a front flipper if it is a big knife imho.

Nooooooo! Noooo! Please nooo!!!

Part of what makes front flippers cool is their potential for a minimalist sleek light design. It defeats the purpose of a front flipper if it is a big knife imho.

3.5 is the legal limit in my area. But I don't plan on going any bigger than 3.25 right now

3.5 is the legal limit in my area. But I don't plan on going any bigger than 3.25 right now

Are you for real? You come out of no where and design a knife I have been dreaming of?

Did I die and go to knife heaven?

Back