Front Flipper Button Lock Design

Thanks for the updates.

If and when you make a smaller model, please consider. 2.9 inch blade length. Or 2.99 inches, if you prefer. But under 3 inches.

Thanks — and best wishes!

Any development, by chance?

Both places I had lined up to prototype backed out. They are both about 6 months out from taking new customers. But my buddy just got his CNC finished. He's agreed to help prototype and can hold very tight tolerances. Thanks for checking in! Definitely going slower than I originally planned but still moving forward.

Thanks for the updates.

If and when you make a smaller model, please consider. 2.9 inch blade length. Or 2.99 inches, if you prefer. But under 3 inches.

Thanks — and best wishes!

Will do. Picking a blade size has been the hardest part. I have (and use) knives from 2.9 to 3.5. I really like "smaller" knives but since the button lock constrains me to a certain handle width I think the shorter blade/handle starts to look too squat. But I'd also like a 2.99 inch size!

Both places I had lined up to prototype backed out. They are both about 6 months out from taking new customers. But my buddy just got his CNC finished. He's agreed to help prototype and can hold very tight tolerances. Thanks for checking in! Definitely going slower than I originally planned but still moving forward.

Will do. Picking a blade size has been the hardest part. I have (and use) knives from 2.9 to 3.5. I really like "smaller" knives but since the button lock constrains me to a certain handle width I think the shorter blade/handle starts to look too squat. But I'd also like a 2.99 inch size!

3.25 inch please!!!

Btw any update? I really would like to see this come to fruition.

Thought I'd toss my vote in for 3 inches; it casts the widest net of customers in both preference and legality. I think in gaining the .25 inch you lose a lot more than it's worth. Full disclosure, 3" has become my preference, but before 3.25" was my preference and even then 3" didn't particularly "offend" me, but it meant that whatever knife was available to a lot more people. That is even more appreciable due to the fact that you're doing something that doesn't really have any viable competition, or any direct competition at all. My $.02, looking forward to this regardless!

3.25 inch please!!!

Btw any update? I really would like to see this come to fruition.

Thought I'd toss my vote in for 3 inches; it casts the widest net of customers in both preference and legality. I think in gaining the .25 inch you lose a lot more than it's worth. Full disclosure, 3" has become my preference, but before 3.25" was my preference and even then 3" didn't particularly "offend" me, but it meant that whatever knife was available to a lot more people. That is even more appreciable due to the fact that you're doing something that doesn't really have any viable competition, or any direct competition at all. My $.02, looking forward to this regardless!

Sorry it took me a while to respond. Quick update:

My buddy with the CNC has everything dialed in and is machining his first knife blade out of steel as we speak. I'm hoping after that we can get a prototype going to dial in the locking mechanism/detent.

Right now blade length is still up in the air. It's impossible to please everyone but I'm between 3 and 3.25. It's designed at 3.25 currently but I'm thinking about seeing how 3 inches looks on it. I find myself preferring smaller blades lately. Who knows, if there's enough interest down the road maybe we can make a small and a large version.

I'm "the buddy with the CNC" haha. I've been working on re-blading one of my own knives as a test before embarking on making the OP's design. So far I've successfully made a complete working blade from aluminum, and have done the outside profile in AEB-L stainless. Should be able get the profile done tonight or tomorrow. I think it's gonna turn out sweet!

Profile done in AEB-L
y0HoRDy.jpg

Original blade next to aluminum test blade
m26Uo2S.jpg

On the knife
2JDNy9k.jpg

I have since tweaked the toolpaths (increased stepover slightly) and got rid of most of the knick marks. Should buff out anyway.

Last edited:
Sorry it took me a while to respond. Quick update:

My buddy with the CNC has everything dialed in and is machining his first knife blade out of steel as we speak. I'm hoping after that we can get a prototype going to dial in the locking mechanism/detent.

Right now blade length is still up in the air. It's impossible to please everyone but I'm between 3 and 3.25. It's designed at 3.25 currently but I'm thinking about seeing how 3 inches looks on it. I find myself preferring smaller blades lately. Who knows, if there's enough interest down the road maybe we can make a small and a large version.

I’d be happy with 3 inch tooeven if I would prefer 3.25. A compact designed 3.25 inch is just a beautiful thing.

I'm "the buddy with the CNC" haha. I've been working on re-blading one of my own knives as a test before embarking on making the OP's design. So far I've successfully made a complete working blade from aluminum, and have done the outside profile in AEB-L stainless. Should be able get the profile done tonight or tomorrow. I think it's gonna turn out sweet!

Profile done in AEB-L
y0HoRDy.jpg

Original blade next to aluminum test blade
m26Uo2S.jpg

On the knife
2JDNy9k.jpg

I have since tweaked the toolpaths (increased stepover slightly) and got rid of most of the knick marks. Should buff out anyway.
y0HoRDy

You’re the man friend with CNC!

Nice design, it looks clean and useful! I don't have any front flippers but this one would be on my list.

As a lefty, I appreciate you thinking about us.

The pocket clip looks a little tight, but overall I like the shape of it.

I like it a lot but I would suggest to smooth the transition between the finger choil and the rest of the handle. It looks a little bit pointy.

I'm a long time lurker that created an account just to follow this project. Do you have an instagram or other social where we can keep tabs on your progress?

The pocket clip looks a little tight, but overall I like the shape of it.

I'll be testing to make sure the clip works as intended. It looks better in the 3d model than the 3d printed version.

I like it a lot but I would suggest to smooth the transition between the finger choil and the rest of the handle. It looks a little bit pointy.

There's a round at that transition in my cad model but it must have dropped off when I created the .STL for the 3d printer. I'll make sure to put it back. Thanks for the input!

I'll take 2

Haha, noted!

Just please make sure this well made when it comes out.

Will do. I'm pretty picky about finishes and little details!

I'm a long time lurker that created an account just to follow this project. Do you have an instagram or other social where we can keep tabs on your progress?

I don't yet but that's not a bad idea. Once we start prototyping the lock I might make one to post progress to but for now this thread will be kept up to date with info. Thanks for following!

Glad to see you are continuing to move forward on this. Still very highly interested in buying one/two.

Back