funny things "non-knife guys" may say

I was just thinking of some conversations I had recently with friends who are not knife guys. I wanted to share some of the things I though were amusing questions and comments from non-knife people that I had heard in recent conversation and see what entertaining things you guys may have also heard from people who are, lets just say, "not in the know" about the knife world. If you have also have an entertaining encounter please share.

Here are three I can recall:

1. What is a good blade steel,.....Titanium?

my reply:
- That's a complicated question, but titanium is used in handles, not for blades.

2. My friend wiggles the blade from side to side on a folder and says, no blade play that's how you can tell if its a good knife or not.

my reply:
Kind of, good knifes usually don't have side to side blade play, but it can also just mean your pivot screw needs tightened.

3. My friend says touches the "point" on the tip of the knife and says "that knife isn't even that sharp".

my reply:
Dude, that's the point, the blade is the sharp part

No offense but there are a lot of these threads already, and some of them are still open for posting and contributing.

They do dumb things too, like pick up expensive folders and wrist flick them like cheap gas station knives.

and there ARE titanium blades... don't speak too quick and shoot yourself in the foot in front of one of the non knife guys. ;)

No offense but there are a lot of these threads already, and some of them are still open for posting and contributing.

These threads are awesome, there can never be too many

The flicking thing is just the worst. Makes me feel sketched out whenever someone asks to see my knives and it makes me look like a control freak.

and there ARE titanium blades... don't speak too quick and shoot yourself in the foot in front of one of the non knife guys. ;)

Really? Who makes a blade with titanium? I have never seen one and I look at a lot of knives. do they have good edge retention?

"how do I close this thing?"

(usually a lockbar design but ive gotten the question about a fixed blade before too :eek:)

Ouch, guy is busy calling out non-knife folks for having poor knife knowledge, and gets called out for having gaps in his knife knowledge. This place is the best! LOL

"hey, do you have a knife?"
Everyone but the new guy laughs.

"can I hold your knife"
Uh.... What do you need to cut?
"well this screw is loose"
Here's a screwdriver

I just got a new job and my last day at my old one was Friday. My boss looks at me and says "Well, there won't be a sharp knife on campus in a week from now"

I love it!

Back