G10 Harpy?

Better is subjective.
In some cases and to some degree, yes. Some folks would definitely consider the more robust G-10 Harpy a better knife, overall, than the lighter Tasman with its thinner blade. OTOH, given Sal's assessment of the edge holding power of serrated H-1 and that it is impervious to rust, it would be pretty hard to argue that it's not a better steel than ATS-55 for a serrated blade.

Sweet blade. I have recently caught hawkbill fever and am pretty torn between almost all of the current models. I am thinking Matriarch 2 then harpy..

I owned one and EDC carried it for almost 8 years as a companion blade. I always carry one conventional PE or CE blade with me daily but I have been carrying a Hawkbill model as a companion blade for some time now.

My G-10 Harpy I believe was stolen from me along with 2 other models that came up missing at the time. I sorely miss my G-10 Harpy and truly wish that Spyderco would do at least a Sprint Run of the G-10 Harpy model. The only one I would prefer over it would be a Superhawk model but only if I could get one in Spyderedge because as far as I know they were only available in PE.

Congratulations on getting a G-10 Harpy>> I'm sure you'll love it..

Spyderco's Hawkbill are truly the best and as far as I'm concerned they are the only serious game in town. ATS-55 wasn't bad as a Spyderedged blade at all. I would truly love a G-10 Harpy in VG-10 or one of the supersteels.

I have one bought from a surplus store that bought it from a estate sale. only carried it a few times.

Very nice find! I would not pass on the opportunity if Spyderco decides to produce a G10 Harpy SE sprint...

With 0.15% carbon, is H-1 steel? :)
By the current definition of steel, no it isn't. OTOH, Spyderco refers to it as steel, others refer to it as steel, it fills a role normally filled by stainless steel, and I'm not sure that anyone as come up with a generally accepted alternate descriptor for it and the other low carbon iron alloys that perform like stainless steels. Guess the real question is whether the definition of steel needs to be updated, or whether H-1 and its ilk should be given a title of their own.

Back