1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

g10 vs micarta

Discussion in 'Survive! Knives' started by Hard Knocks, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    Do we all have to use our imaginations, or could you throw some pics all up in here???

2. Badey

Badey

Dec 7, 2013
    Lol! I tried to put some pics up, but I don't have a paid membership, so I can't. I'm planning to pony up the $10 so I can post some pics in the next day or so.

3. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    You shouldn't need to pay to post pics. I've done it and I don't have a paid membership. You do have to go through a site like photobucket or something, though.

4. Badey

Badey

Dec 7, 2013
    Sweet! I got a photobucket account tonight, so I'll take some side-by-side pics tomorrow and post them.

5. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    Badey, that is what I'm talking about. Way to go!

I'll be looking forward to pics =)

6. Sulaco

Sulaco Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2003
    I use my 4.1 w/ micarta scales to clean deer all the time, fish too. And the occasional squirrel. No food sickness for me yet. Do I have some dried up guts here and there? Sure. But once they dry out it's all good. Some of you guys are real pansies.

7. Badey

Badey

Dec 7, 2013
    Ok, here are some pics. This is just about the handles, and I was kind of in a hurry, so they're not great.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I am growing more partial to the texture of the Micarta the more I handle it.

8. Mike-The-Knife

Mike-The-Knife

Dec 6, 2011
    Yeah , I'm a big micarta fan . It has a more natural feel , more grip and when it gets dirty it cleans up so easily . I know G10 is tough , but I'm just not a fan .

9. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    That micarta looks MUCH 'grippier' ...

I too prefer rough-finish micarta for that softer, 'natural' feel. :thumbup:

What's with the perspective in those shots, both 5.1's but the micarta dwarfs the G10 handle ... :confused:

10. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    Nice, up close pics, Badey.

The black is G10, right? Both look great.

11. Badey

Badey

Dec 7, 2013
    It was the angle of the shot. The light was at a funky angle, so there was too much shadow if I didn't take it from a sharp angle. They're the same size.

Also, I tried to get a little closer on the lone shot of the micarta handle to show texture. The G10 was reflecting too much light to let me get any closer.

12. Badey

Badey

Dec 7, 2013
    Thanks! Yeah, the black is G10. I like them both, but I think I will definitely use the micarta one more.

13. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Badey, thanks man! Appreciate those shots :thumbup:

14. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    That right there, polished vs unpolished, tells the whole story :cool:

15. willc

willc Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2013
    I prefer the feel of micarta handles, my GSO 6 has G10 and it can get a bit slick if wet but nothing terrible though.
    The up side of the G10 is color selection, I picked orange for my 6 and wish I had done that for all my GSO's.
    When I went camping last summer a couple times I couldn't find my 4.1 after setting it down with its camo handles, orange is much nicer in a woodsy environment.

16. evltcat

evltcat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2011
    I'm really torn...
    I think S!K's micarta is grippier, but I really do like their smooth G-10.
    The G-10 isn't overly polished and I find it actually gets "tacky" when it's wet.

[​IMG]