g10 vs micarta

I just got my Micarta handled 5.1 today. I would say that the G10 seems a bit slicker, but not much. I really can't tell much of a difference at all.

My Micarta handle was pretty smooth (smoother than I was expecting, but I really like it smooth). I like the look of it better than the G10; the G10 looks nice, but the brown canvas Micarta looks amazing!

Do we all have to use our imaginations, or could you throw some pics all up in here???

Do we all have to use our imaginations, or could you throw some pics all up in here???

Lol! I tried to put some pics up, but I don't have a paid membership, so I can't. I'm planning to pony up the $10 so I can post some pics in the next day or so.

Lol! I tried to put some pics up, but I don't have a paid membership, so I can't. I'm planning to pony up the $10 so I can post some pics in the next day or so.

You shouldn't need to pay to post pics. I've done it and I don't have a paid membership. You do have to go through a site like photobucket or something, though.

You shouldn't need to pay to post pics. I've done it and I don't have a paid membership. You do have to go through a site like photobucket or something, though.

Sweet! I got a photobucket account tonight, so I'll take some side-by-side pics tomorrow and post them.

I use my 4.1 w/ micarta scales to clean deer all the time, fish too. And the occasional squirrel. No food sickness for me yet. Do I have some dried up guts here and there? Sure. But once they dry out it's all good. Some of you guys are real pansies.

Ok, here are some pics. This is just about the handles, and I was kind of in a hurry, so they're not great.

image_zps6ae1e4b2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpsf05122f6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zps249e3fe8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I am growing more partial to the texture of the Micarta the more I handle it.

Yeah , I'm a big micarta fan . It has a more natural feel , more grip and when it gets dirty it cleans up so easily . I know G10 is tough , but I'm just not a fan .

That micarta looks MUCH 'grippier' ...

I too prefer rough-finish micarta for that softer, 'natural' feel. :thumbup:

What's with the perspective in those shots, both 5.1's but the micarta dwarfs the G10 handle ... :confused:

That micarta looks

What's with the perspective in those shots, both 5.1's but the micarta dwarfs the G10 handle ... :confused:

It was the angle of the shot. The light was at a funky angle, so there was too much shadow if I didn't take it from a sharp angle. They're the same size.

Also, I tried to get a little closer on the lone shot of the micarta handle to show texture. The G10 was reflecting too much light to let me get any closer.

... I tried to get a little closer on the lone shot of the micarta handle to show texture. The G10 was reflecting too much light to let me get any closer.

That right there, polished vs unpolished, tells the whole story :cool:

I prefer the feel of micarta handles, my GSO 6 has G10 and it can get a bit slick if wet but nothing terrible though.
The up side of the G10 is color selection, I picked orange for my 6 and wish I had done that for all my GSO's.
When I went camping last summer a couple times I couldn't find my 4.1 after setting it down with its camo handles, orange is much nicer in a woodsy environment.

I'm really torn...
I think S!K's micarta is grippier, but I really do like their smooth G-10.
The G-10 isn't overly polished and I find it actually gets "tacky" when it's wet.

15279500184_e544d738fa_b.jpg

Back