Gaucho knives and cuchillos criollos of South America

CelloDan

Gold Member
Today I received my very much anticipated " Verijero" knife. :)

A work of art, handmade by maxipescie maxipescie , a very talented knifemaker in my beloved native country πŸ‡¦πŸ‡·.

I am so very happy with it :)
It's so authentic, so traditional in every way !

The handle is "Urunday", a native wood to Argentina. The beautiful sheath is made by a partner master artisan using rawhide and the most traditional methods.

It feels just great to hold a little piece of one's native land in the hand !!!

The "Verijero" is a smaller, general purpose "gaucho" knife carried in the front "groin" area or "verijas" as gauchos would refer to this area.

Maxi's passion is in making traditional gaucho knives and it really shows.
It was a pleasure to communicate with him along the way. He kept me updated with photo updates :cool:

In the beginning :)

3jtDPud.jpg

WXy4ZGB.jpg

Yen5nMf.jpg

QDfcGwq.jpg

YBupwZL.jpg

GSCmVg7.jpg

BnOwJrc.jpg

IXXgjvN.jpg

yIFblUj.jpg

And then this shows up on my whatsapp 😍
qEjBO0r.jpg

KLXFlB8.jpg

QCGfw0Q.jpg

AfgeF1N.jpg

7aIpThg.jpg

W5IKirv.jpg

jZmM1fb.jpg

Lovely knife, DanπŸ‘Great to have a knife made by a craftsman from your native country. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of it in the walk in nature thread.
Is the sheath lined with anything?

So this is extremely interesting
Is this knife used as an EDC belt knife? Or a tool for some specific use? food knife?

I am not being disrespectful in any way, I just don't know anything about the actual usage of these knives and am interested.

That is beautiful, Dan. Very nice choice.
Hope all is well. :)

Wonderful Dan. Simply wonderful. Thank you very much for sharing.

Your verijero is the star, but I also like traditional sheath it is housed in. Fine leatherwork is always a treat.

I am glad you were able to find a native craftsman to create your knife. A dozen years ago I had hoped to purchase a verijero of my own. There were the mass produced offerings, but they didn't interest me in the least. Unfortunately I was not comfortable placing an order with an unknown smith from a foreign land, so my plans never bore fruit. Instead I placed an order with a domestic maker for a gaucho-inspired knife; in the off chance I got invited to an Argentine asado I wanted to make sure I had a suitable blade.

12779996415_9b5f5901bf_c.jpg

Your knife has woken a long dormant desire. I think I may have to drop Mr. Pescie a line.

I like the size of the Verijero, what is the blade length and I also wondered if there is a liner in the sheath?

Beautiful knife, Dan, with some really interesting features! Congrats! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Gracias Barret :)

Lovely knife, DanπŸ‘Great to have a knife made by a craftsman from your native country. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of it in the walk in nature thread.
Is the sheath lined with anything?
Thank you Dan ! :)
No liner in the sheath. It fits perfectly snug.

Thats a really nice knife Dan, well done πŸ™‚ :thumbsup:
Gracias Duncan ! :)

So this is extremely interesting
Is this knife used as an EDC belt knife? Or a tool for some specific use? food knife?

I am not being disrespectful in any way, I just don't know anything about the actual usage of these knives and am interested.
The verijero is a multi use, general purpose knife that gauchos used for most anything.
Translated from Wikipedia
"The "verijero" is a knife with no more than 15 cm blade length. It is given general use in the Argentine, Uruguayan and Chilean rural environment. This small knife used to carry in the front hooked on the girdle near the groin, an area called Β« Verija Β»by the gauchos. It is used for everything that a knife can be used in rural and domestic tasks. Thus, it serves so much to eat, to cape an animal, to chop tobacco; even scratching the back or as toothpicks. As they say in the country lands, "it serves as much to cut an "Asado" as to close an argument." Wikipedia

Maxi also made me a belt sheath so I can use it when out in nature, camping etc. That other sheath is not traditional of course but I forgot all my gaucho apparel 30 years ago back in Argentina so that's how I am going to carry for now when camping :cool: 😊

Beautiful knife, Dan. Congrats!
Gracias amigo :)

That is beautiful, Dan. Very nice choice.
Hope all is well. :)
Thank you my friend for the kind words !
We are doing well :)

Wonderful Dan. Simply wonderful. Thank you very much for sharing.
Welcome Christian :)

Your knife has woken a long dormant desire. I think I may have to drop Mr. Pescie a line.
Maxi maxipescie maxipescie was a joy to deal with throughout the whole process.
Always very responsive :thumbsup:. We communicated thru whatsapp, and it proved a very fluid and seamless way to communicate to share videos, pics, audio clips etc
A true artisan and gentleman :thumbsup:

Wow Dan, really beautiful knife 😎 Congratulations buddy πŸ‘ We need a photo with you in the saddle πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

That's a smasher too Christian, you have great taste hermano πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
Gracias Jack !
I am having my gaucho apparel sent to me from Argentina.
As soon as the "white stuff" melts I'll get me horse and take photos for you guys :cool:😊

I like the size of the Verijero, what is the blade length and I also wondered if there is a liner in the sheath?
7QyUBEE.jpg

Congrats CelloDan CelloDan what an elegant knife.! Love the makers mark too
Thank you Paul, I love the capibara mark too, very elegant !

good morning! thank you daniel for mentioning me and everyone for your encouraging comments!
As for the sheath, it is not lined, it is just leather, worked and sewn with goat leather threads, a traditional Argentine tactic.
Denada mi amigo :)

Now all we need is a good BBQ!!
I am in :) πŸ˜‹
2QGoGks.jpg

Gracias Jack !
I am having my gaucho apparel sent to me from Argentina.
As soon as the "white stuff" melts I'll get me horse and take photos for you guys :cool:😊

7QyUBEE.jpg
Fantastic Dan :) Can't wait! :cool: :) :thumbsup:

I was hoping to provide you with a link to an older thread, which has some related content, but it seems the 'Search' function is still not fit for purpose, or worse; that we have lost the old threads 😠

Edit - Thread is still there at least, Search function is a joke :(

Last edited:
Back