Gaucho knives and cuchillos criollos of South America

Dan, that is a beautiful example and I really enjoyed seeing the process of it being made.
Such an elegant design, my compliments to you and the maker maxipescie.

Enclosed is a pre-WWII F. Herder Gaucho salesman sample knife (technically a slightly longer punal model).
This knife features a metal handle with a lion head as the pommel. It also has the same type of sheath as your model.
It's well established that German cutlers produced many knives for the South American market.

View attachment 2110460

Fantastic Dan :) Can't wait! :cool: :) :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: 😊 If I had access to authentic attire and a way to truly verify I was wearing everything properly I would totally do it to have a good time on the Porch :thumbsup: :cool:

Edit - Thread is still there at least, Search function is a joke
Thank you for finding it Jack :thumbsup:

If anyone wonders why Dan needs a verijero, this video will make things clear.

It appears you don't eat at gatherings unless you bring your own knife! 🤣
lol Christian :thumbsup::cool:
I have been searching for an Argentine restaurant either in Ottawa or Montreal to drive up to and give my Verijero its first taste of asado on its first cut ever but so far no luck :(
My backyard is FULL of ❄️ so no home cooked asados either for now :(
I will make me a steak tomorrow and go for it :thumbsup::cool:

Indeed. Here is a video of a gaucho sharpening a well worn Boker.
He is very proud of his Boker Arbolito when telling the story of how he got it.
He obviously treasures that knife very much !

Dan, that is a beautiful example and I really enjoyed seeing the process of it being made.
Such an elegant design, my compliments to you and the maker maxipescie.

Enclosed is a pre-WWII F. Herder Gaucho salesman sample knife (technically a slightly longer punal model).
This knife features a metal handle with a lion head as the pommel. It also has the same type of sheath as your model.
It's well established that German cutlers produced many knives for the South American market.

View attachment 2110460

Wow Neal, GRACIAS ! , your comments made my day :thumbsup:.
Coming from you it means a lot :)

I love Maxi's interpretation of the Verijero... the subtle curve on the spine from butt to tip, the shape of the handle, the slanted butt and the overall proportions of all its elements make maxipescie maxipescie design very appealing to my eyes.
Last night I recorded this exact comments on a little video and sent it to him through Whatsapp.

Happiness in 2 simple and practical steps :)

Step one: Order and take delivery of a beautiful traditional knife
Kr0NRCAl.jpg

Step two: Open the package
VJ9PUyYl.jpg

Cherry on top BONUS for extra happiness :) : Porch dwellers compliment your knife 😍
81rJnco.jpg

CelloDan CelloDan - your 'Verijero" is beautiful. Thanks for sharing, and highlighting the knives and traditions from that wonderful, remote part of the world.

I think that was the case, the world over, at one time :D :thumbsup:
...and is a tradition that should be brought back, imo. 😉

My Criollo, purchased from a knife maker in El Bolson, Argentina. It's still my preferred "steak/asadero knife" to this day. Rauli handle, some sort of 'leaf spring' steel, according to the maker:

HWftYE.jpg

gaucho3.jpg

It really makes me very happy that you like the knife, it is the best reward that a manufacturer can have! The gaucho knife is without a doubt my favorite and the one I enjoy making the most! I attached a photo of one made in damascus steel! Thank you all!

Attachments

• 20230222_194250.jpg
    20230222_194250.jpg
    882 KB · Views: 20
CelloDan CelloDan It must be really satisfying to get an artisan knife from the Old Country :cool: Beautiful addition to take out on trails, I like that blade stamp, looks like a Capybara?? Lot to like about this knife but I have to say that your Grohmann Stag from the New Country has always impressed me, got to get hold of one of those..have the Rosewood flat grind, but Stag....😻

:eek: I've been expecting and looking for this thread Dan but somehow I missed it - so far. ;) You have heard from me many times through this process that I really love this knife. The integral bolster and the overall profile - exquisite. The sheath is so beautiful too. 🥰 I've only gotten 12 "LAST KNIFE" in the past few years and your Verijero
is certainly tempting me to try for number 13. Enjoy that one my Brother and only "share" with Diana. Let her get her own. :) Start now to have one by Christmas for her. Very elegant one on the exchange right now by Señor @ maxipescie maxipescie .

I have been searching for an Argentine restaurant either in Ottawa or Montreal to drive up to and give my Verijero its first taste of asado on its first cut ever but so far no luck :(
My backyard is FULL of ❄️ so no home cooked asados either for now :(
I will make me a steak tomorrow and go for it :thumbsup::cool:

What!? That just won't do. To show some solidarity, I'll drop by Lolinda and order an asado mixto in your honor. It'll have to wait until tomorrow though it's fish tonight since it's a Lenten Friday.

your 'Verijero" is beautiful. Thanks for sharing
Thank you :)

My Criollo, purchased from a knife maker in El Bolson, Argentina. It's still my preferred "steak/asadero knife" to this day. Rauli handle, some sort of 'leaf spring' steel, according to the maker:
Very nice Criollo from a beautiful part of the country :thumbsup: I never had the opportunity to travel further south than the city of Buenos Aires.

It really makes me very happy that you like the knife, it is the best reward that a manufacturer can have!
The more I look at it and the more I handle it the more I love it ! 😍

CelloDan CelloDan It must be really satisfying to get an artisan knife from the Old Country :cool: Beautiful addition to take out on trails, I like that blade stamp, looks like a Capybara?? Lot to like about this knife but I have to say that your Grohmann Stag from the New Country has always impressed me, got to get hold of one of those..have the Rosewood flat grind, but Stag....😻
Gracias Will :)
Yes is a Capybara. I've read capybaras do not like the cold however mine is loving it so far 😉, just like I was thrilled with all the "white stuff" ❄️ 30 years ago for the first few weeks upon landing in Canada :D.
And yes, my Grohmann Stag is a very treasured one for sure :thumbsup: ... I'll take a pic of both of them side side 🇦🇷🔪🇨🇦🔪:thumbsup:😍

:eek: I've been expecting and looking for this thread Dan but somehow I missed it - so far. ;) You have heard from me many times through this process that I really love this knife. The integral bolster and the overall profile - exquisite. The sheath is so beautiful too. 🥰 I've only gotten 12 "LAST KNIFE" in the past few years and your Verijero
is certainly tempting me to try for number 13. Enjoy that one my Brother and only "share" with Diana. Let her get her own. :) Start now to have one by Christmas for her. Very elegant one on the exchange right now by Señor @ maxipescie maxipescie .
Gracias amigo :)
I found out about maxipescie work through you actually :)
About a year ago while we were starting to plan our adventure on the Rideau I snooped on your profile to see what you were up to on BF and saw a comment you posted on one of Maxi's beautiful knives.
I was instantly smitten by the design and could not get it out of my mind until months later when I just had to reach out to him.

I decided on the Verijero as it is a very practical size for my daily use and carry.

And hey, I said it before ... I thrive in the company of enablers :) so far be it from me to stop you from your 13th last one 😄

CelloDan CelloDan 's friend get to gether to celebrate his new Verijero by maxipescie maxipescie . 🤫
:thumbsup:😅:cool:

What!? That just won't do. To show some solidarity, I'll drop by Lolinda and order an asado mixto in your honor. It'll have to wait until tomorrow though it's fish tonight since it's a Lenten Friday.

You're very kind Christian :D.
Enjoy the asado mixto my friend :thumbsup: :cool: ( lucky you ;) )

My Verijero was getting really hungry after two days of arriving in the Great White North ... so I cooked for it 😄

Nothing but beef would do for its first meal and its first "cut" so I obliged.

Thankfully, being now a world traveller and all, it has a very open mind as what I served it is very different from the lean and very slow cooked asados of his native country :)

TsxaoWY.jpg

H1lnlHq.jpg

ry8o3jU.jpg

Almost there
ATKlN4l.jpg

cgoLWVu.jpg

THE FIRST CUT !
Let's see what 1095 steel has in store :)
2686LGq.jpg

j6PRFB7.jpg

No carbs folks, both of us are on a Keto diet :p
C1hZbSG.jpg

Just had supper or I'd be hungry from that little feast! Nicely done Dan. I knew your new knife was up to it.

Does Señor maxipescie maxipescie have a web site or another place to view his work that doesn't require a sign up or a membership???

Just had supper or I'd be hungry from that little feast! Nicely done Dan. I knew your new knife was up to it.

Does Señor maxipescie maxipescie have a web site or another place to view his work that doesn't require a sign up or a membership???
Good night! You can find me on Facebook or instagram as maximiliano pescie. I leave you the instagram link, there you can see my work daily! I want to thank everyone for such nice comments!

You're very kind Christian :D.
Enjoy the asado mixto my friend :thumbsup: :cool: ( lucky you ;) )

My Verijero was getting really hungry after two days of arriving in the Great White North ... so I cooked for it 😄

Nothing but beef would do for its first meal and its first "cut" so I obliged.

Thankfully, being now a world traveller and all, it has a very open mind as what I served it is very different from the lean and very slow cooked asados of his native country :)

TsxaoWY.jpg

H1lnlHq.jpg

ry8o3jU.jpg

Almost there
ATKlN4l.jpg

cgoLWVu.jpg

THE FIRST CUT !
Let's see what 1095 steel has in store :)
2686LGq.jpg

j6PRFB7.jpg

No carbs folks, both of us are on a Keto diet :p
C1hZbSG.jpg
How nice it is to see that knife like this! As we say here, well oiled!

Good night! You can find me on Facebook or instagram as maximiliano pescie. I leave you the instagram link, there you can see my work daily! I want to thank everyone for such nice comments!
Thank you but these apps are PRIVATE. Too bad that a potential customer is not allowed to look through the gallery of a business. My choice/my loss not to sign up but...

Back