Gaucho knives and cuchillos criollos of South America

Awesome David ! Now I really wish I had been there 😋:thumbsup::cool:
Your more than welcome Dan. My brother and I would have enjoyed your company.
Capibara Verijero got to take in the full solar eclipse today :cool:
ZNpv8Qz.jpg

8vOJsHM.jpg

elVn485.jpg
Cool knife and pics!

"Que bicho es ese Christian ? ñandú ? " lol 😊

Todo fuera de ñandú. Esas son costillas de cerdo Dan.

Works by world renowned bladesmith Mauricio Carlos Daletzky from Santa Fe province, Argentina.

He is a master and a teacher to the masters.
ghvwKFL.jpg

Last year, 2023, he won Best Art Knife at Blade Show in Atlanta with this stunning rendition of a criollo with beautiful damascus steel and mother of pearl handles.
nV4uIcO.jpg

Wow. Now those are proper cuchillos criollos for a modern day estanciero.

👍

That was fast. I placed an order for my faca hoping that I would have it in time for Father's Day. I may get it earlier than that.

View attachment 2553629

Wouldn't surprise me if it takes longer to get delivered to my mailbox than it took the smith to make it.

Wow Christian !!!
What a stunning piece ! 😍

I LOVE the contrast in the stag.
It’s one of a kind 👍

I am so happy for you my friend !
Happy early Father’s Day ! 😊

That was fast. I placed an order for my faca hoping that I would have it in time for Father's Day. I may get it earlier than that.

View attachment 2553629

Wouldn't surprise me if it takes longer to get delivered to my mailbox than it took the smith to make it.
Dan is right, Christian--that is stunning! Wonderful Father's Day gift.
Of all the different styles of knives I've seen on Bladeforums, I think my favourite has to be the Gaucho knife.

Wow Christian !!!
What a stunning piece ! 😍

I LOVE the contrast in the stag.
It’s one of a kind 👍

I am so happy for you my friend !
Happy early Father’s Day ! 😊

Kaspary certainly appears to do wonderful work. I think I made a right choice placing an order with him.

Handsome knife! :thumbsup: 🤠

I agree David.

😁

Dan is right, Christian--that is stunning! Wonderful Father's Day gift.
Of all the different styles of knives I've seen on Bladeforums, I think my favourite has to be the Gaucho knife.

Right with you there Vince. My favorite traditional fixed blade may just be the cuchillo criollo, along with French laguioles for folders.

I may be committing sacrilege, wonder if the Cold Steel version with a 12 inch blade would be any good. I know, I know y’all will be ousting me from this thread. :)

View attachment 2554249

I don't know. Though not to my tastes, that CS seems as it would be perfectly acceptable historically. According to Domenech --

"When considering gaucho knives, we must always bear in mind that their manufacture was more a result of improvisation in taking advantage of the available materials..."

I may be committing sacrilege, wonder if the Cold Steel version with a 12 inch blade would be any good. I know, I know y’all will be ousting me from this thread. :)

View attachment 2554249

Coincidentally, just a few days ago I was looking into the iconic Canadian Grohmann #1 knife and stumbled upon Cold Steel's version of it. Their choice of steel for that knife (German 4116 Stainless steel ) left me a bit "cold " lol and I forgot about it.

Now when I saw that their criollo is made with thick stock 1095 it initially peaked my interest.
At first sight the knife does not look too bad really :thumbsup:
I kinda liked it lol so I took a closer look.

I then noticed the bolster which is my main sticking point with this knife.

It is obviously NOT and integral forged bolster as it is in the most traditional and authentic criollos.

It is not even a "welded" bolster which nowadays is a rather common feature in many of the more economical contemporary blades.

It seems to be just "resting" on top of the blade blank merely as a decoration or an imitation of a bolster.

So for me is a "No gracias" lol

I personally would not really consider any blade unless it has an integral forged bolster.

Having said that, as I mentioned before, most of the more economical criollos in Argentina are made with welded bolsters.
In my search for blade blanks I came across a few brands and after consulting with a silversmith from Argentina he confirmed with me that they all had welded bolsters.
He even uses them himself at times for some more modestly priced knives.

Case in point is the modern version of "La Movediza" blade blanks.
The original highly renowned factory closed its doors in the early 60's.
The name "La Movediza" was then bought /sold and the current owner makes very economical blade blanks with welded bolsters.

As in the pic below:
xVd6rDS.jpg

I then stumbled upon another brand which seemed quite popular and found out that their bolsters are also welded.
They also weld a piece of threaded rod as part of the tang on these ones, I presumed to facilitate installing a screw on pommel.
Tf1ZylX.jpg

Basically I was told, ALL cheap blades have welded bolsters.

Integral forged bolsters blades are significantly more expensive and done by custom makers (there is the modern Arbolito blades with integral bolsters however as we have been discussing lately they have their issues as well)

I also take issue with the name that Cold Steel chose for their version of a criollo.

That is NOT a facon !!! Somebody please send Cold Steel a copy of Mr Domenech essay please :)
Even a casual web browse about gaucho knives makes that clear.
The history of the "Facon" written on their webpage made my eyebrows twitch upwards a bit too lol 😄.

Oh, before I forget, and this is just a matter of personal taste. The file marks on top of the Puñal ( NOT FACON ) .... WHYSOCROWDED!!! ... S p a ce t h e m o u t a b i t w o u l d y o u :)
j4rKi67.jpg

I kinda like the "vaina" to be fair and the wooden handle ^ :thumbsup:

And hey, just for kicks why don't we let Cold Steel tell us more about it lol !
The video is kinda funny to be fair :cool:

Not file marks Dan - that is a saw edge, just in case you need some bones sawing, woodworking or bushcrafting to be done. Makes it a survival tool. :)

Back