1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Gayle Bradley 2 or Super Freek?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by somniloquist, Nov 12, 2020.

Ok, which one do you like best?

1. Super Freek

21 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. Gayle Bradley 2

52 vote(s)
    71.2%
  1. DMG

DMG Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2005
    I think you have it backwards.

2. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I don't believe so. I understood BM left theirs a few points short on heat treat, like 58 HRc.

Spyderco is 62 or something. (And the 4 of them I've owned have all has stellar edge holding performance!)

Full disclosure, I've never owned a Super Freek. After general dissatisfaction with QC on some of their other knives and reading about their heat treat I wasn't interested.

EDIT. MY MEMORY SUCKS. I went back and read the heat treat issue. It was their treatment of 3V that was a debacle.

Sorry to misrepresent.

ktataragasi, marrenmiller and DMG like this.
  3. loon#r

loon#r Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Right, their 3v was somewhere from like 55 through 58. Their solution was to toss 3v aside and use M4...
    The Bradley upside mounts up. I’m sure the freek is a good BM axis knife.

DMG likes this.
  4. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    The GB is a classic.

5. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    I've not owned either but almost pulled the trigger on a Super Freek a few times.

I'd honestly say neither and try to find a GB1. It's amazing.

[​IMG]Untitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr

6. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    For me, it's like a Sebenza to a Large Grip. If you want the hand filling beater, go with the Freek. If you want something more refined that carries better, go with the GB2. I think both are great knives, but the GB2 still gets my vote.

[​IMG]

kobold, ktataragasi, tgtodd and 3 others like this.
  7. c7m2p3

c7m2p3

Apr 20, 2018
    I know of some people who have gone ahead and done a cutout on the show side on their own to make the lockbar on the GB2 a bit more accessible. I'm a little hesitant to do something that extreme but if anyone here has tried it and has pictures that would be interesting.

8. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    I don't mind the lack of a cutout on my GB2 -- it makes it less likely to disengage under hard use IMHO and it's not all that difficult to close.

GB940Rookie likes this.
  9. soc_monki

soc_monki Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 5, 2019
    Yep, it's a non-issue imo. Once you become accustomed to it, it's really no more difficult to close than any other liner lock. Gayle himself said that he tests every knife by seeing if his wife can close it. That's good enough for me! :D

Alberta Ed likes this.
  10. DMG

DMG Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2005

I do remember the 3v problems.

11. loon#r

loon#r Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2008
    That Freek blade profile is pretty sweet, especially the high full belly.

12. c7m2p3

c7m2p3

Apr 20, 2018
    Maybe I have fat fingers or something I have always found closed off lockbars annoying. This is not to say that I can't close the blade, of course I can. Just takes more doing than a liner lock should to wedge the meat of my thumb in there though I do have larger than average hands. A very small thing and a great blade despite this.

13. razorburn

razorburn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2007
    I am still considering purchasing the BM Super Freek but Ive just haven't commited.As I already have a M4 Contego which takes a nice sharp edge,for a knife heat treated to the 62 - 63 Rc range.

As for the Bradley,I have never considered it because of two things, it has a liner lock and a uncoated blade. I like my axis locks a lot more as they can be effortlessly closed or opened.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  14. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    As someone mentioned in this thread, Hogue Ritter should be considered as an option if you are really into Benchmade Freek. I'm sure GB2 is a great functional folder but aesthetically it is just not attractive to me.

DMG likes this.
  15. somniloquist

somniloquist Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2007
    I landed on the Freek. A good deal popped up locally at a price I could not refuse, so I bought it. It is still in the mail but I am excited to receive it.

16. P2P

P2P Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2010
    I don’t have time to read all the posts but, the freek is way too thick behind the edge for me. GB2 all day!

17. c7m2p3

c7m2p3

Apr 20, 2018
    I don't think I have ever heard that. I own the Freek and don't find it to be very thick behind the edge at all. What are you basing this off of and what are the measurements?

DMG likes this.
  18. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Had a GB2 and didn't like the handle ergonomics at all, plus the tip of the blade bit me when I reached my hand past the knife while it was in my pocket. The liner lock also wasn't nicely accessible. All in all, I wasn't impressed with mine at all, nor really with the original Gayle Bradley folder.

The only thing I think the GB2 does better is the cutting geometry, which is going to be significantly better than that of the Super Freak. If that's all that matters to you (which is a totally valid way to evaluate a cutting tool), then go GB2. Otherwise, Super Freak all the way.

19. marrenmiller

Apr 6, 2017
    Compared to the GB2, it's like twice as thick at the edge.

20. marrenmiller

Apr 6, 2017
    Any cut testing to support this statement? As far as I was aware, M4 is supposed to be one of the steels they do the best.

The only cut testing I've seen on Benchmade's M4 showed it performed about as well as Spyderco M4 after the factory edge was satisfactorily sharpened away.

DMG likes this.