GEC #15 navy knife

How well would polyurethane hold up if applied to the chestnut?
Poly is a film finish . It could flake /peel over time. I'd try wood penetrating stabilizer like pentacryl or minwax stabilizer I repaird a rotted wood door once that had a lot of pucky wood . After the stabilizer , it was rock hard . The stuff I used was private label but I'm guessing it was something like minwax / pentacryl . Also tried the elmers stabilizer and it didn't work as well . It also had a milky color that transferred .
I'd practice on something else or at least spot check before proceeding

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion, I suspected as much with the poly.(have some on hand so why not ask)

I like the look of this knife, but the etching turns me off. I know it's insecure, but carrying a knife branded "Navy" when I have no affiliation with the Navy and a ton of respect for the military just seems like it would end up being embarrassing.

I like the look of this knife, but the etching turns me off. I know it's insecure, but carrying a knife branded "Navy" when I have no affiliation with the Navy and a ton of respect for the military just seems like it would end up being embarrassing.

I can understand that. My M1 Garand says United States Army on it and I didn't fight in Korea though . Yeah the GEC says Navy on it but it is a navy style knife. I think this is a lot different than wearing a Marines t shirt or something and I also do not want to offend our military men and women.

I've had my orange Jigged Navy Knife in my pocket more than any other model for several months now, and although it may not be "my perfect knife," I'm very happy I have it.

My rationale for initially buying it when so many seemed to dislike it was this...I love the single sheepfoot #15 TCs, and would likely explode if one was ever made in stainless...the Navy knife blade is close to a sheepfoot (not as pretty, but just as functional), same frame as a TC, and stainless. Although I can live with the bail, I'd definitely prefer it without one - but it is part of what makes it a Navy knife, so I'm not removing it.

I had a similar issue with the etching(I plan on polishing it off)

I've had my orange Jigged Navy Knife in my pocket more than any other model for several months now, and although it may not be "my perfect knife," I'm very happy I have it.

My rationale for initially buying it when so many seemed to dislike it was this...I love the single sheepfoot #15 TCs, and would likely explode if one was ever made in stainless...the Navy knife blade is close to a sheepfoot (not as pretty, but just as functional), same frame as a TC, and stainless. Although I can live with the bail, I'd definitely prefer it without one - but it is part of what makes it a Navy knife, so I'm not removing it.

My thoughts exactly. I bought one and modified it after seeing others here who used belt sander to change the blade shape.
It was not as difficult as I had thought.

Original knife:
IMG_3407a.jpg

First attempt, didn't like how the blade shape turned out:
IMG_3411a.jpg

Second attempt - this was more to my liking. I was careful not to get too close to the nail nick which was the limiting factor on how much metal could be removed without running into it. I used Flitz to polish off "Navy Knife" and the top edges. I was pleased how it turned out.
IMG_3413a.jpg

Nice modifications. I personally like the original blade shape but I also like a more normal sheepsfoot.

View attachment 849917 View attachment 849918

And Now for Something Completely Different.

My thoughts exactly. I bought one and modified it after seeing others here who used belt sander to change the blade shape.
It was not as difficult as I had thought.

Original knife:
View attachment 850335

First attempt, didn't like how the blade shape turned out:
View attachment 850343

Second attempt - this was more to my liking. I was careful not to get too close to the nail nick which was the limiting factor on how much metal could be removed without running into it. I used Flitz to polish off "Navy Knife" and the top edges. I was pleased how it turned out.
View attachment 850344

Nice work, man! I hope you had fun with it!

My only Navy knife!!!

im4fpi.jpg
2sb7rxx.jpg

Just got this on Monday. I like it quite a bit. It doesn't have much heft, which I would prefer, but it is small and the chestnut is very light weight. I might go for a jigged bone. Anyone know why the acorn shield for a pattern associated with nautical use? My only qualms with it are the cheap looking etching, and I think it could use an extra 1/4" (which is my feeling for the 15's in general). Wish I could get hold of one of those Damascus SFOs.
image.jpeg

Looks nice with that lanyward,

I agree with your comment on the heft of the fifteen, which is why the more popular fifteens are barlows, beer scouts or end cap models, and preferably in bone as they are heavier. The fact the 15 is a little shorter than most people would like in a user is also why the sheepsfoot pattern blade shape works well, as placing a finger forward on the smaller blade is more ergonomic.

Looks nice with that lanyward,

I agree with your comment on the heft of the fifteen, which is why the more popular fifteens are barlows, beer scouts or end cap models, and preferably in bone as they are heavier. The fact the 15 is a little shorter than most people would like in a user is also why the sheepsfoot pattern blade shape works well, as placing a finger forward on the smaller blade is more ergonomic.
Thanks. I wanted a nautical looking lanyard. We'll see how long that rope lasts.
I have a beer scout, and the extra blade and thickness make a difference. The BF TC Barlow from last year also has that extra steel for the bolster. I think I might spring for the bone after a while. Although I do wish for a little more handle, the bail sort of makes up for that. All in all, I'm happy to have this knife.

Wow! I've had one of these for about a month and I was not aware of this! I'm so glad I found this thread before I carried it or even used it. It's still in the tube.

It's pretty disappointing to me. How common is it for manufacturers to use wood that isn't stabilized? and how can you tell before you carry them and this happens?

I liked mine! A warning if you got the 'old barn chestnut'. It's not stabilised. At all. You can mark it with a fingernail and water soaks in making it worse. After 4 months of daily carry it looked like this.

dents.jpg

I sanded it down, treated it with a mixture of Linseed and Tung oil and it was like new, hard, water resistant and stabilised.

So if you're going to carry yours, I recommend treating the wood.

Back