GEC 25s - Gots 'em?

So I've been putting my Unicorn Ivory Acrylic #25 to good use (being that it is an "S" or Store model) and have run into a rather annoying problem. I haven't minded the liner pulling away from the spring, but now the tang seems to have a burr or something that is digging into the liner. It has made opening and closing rather gritty and difficult, almost a nail breaking affair. I've rinsed it with soap and water, lubed it, opened and closed it numerous times, and rinsed and dried it again and it hasn't improved greatly.

I'm just looking for advice on how to fix this, as I was really enjoying carrying and using this knife (still wish I hadn't waited too long on the ebony model on the last run). Any suggestions are appreciated.

I also am still not clear on whether the Store knives are covered under warranty, and therefore able to be sent in for service. Anyone have a better idea on that than me?

A picture showing the trough the burr has dug in the liner:

Wzt0Cz8h.jpg

A picture showing the gap between liner and spring:

JKDduXIh.jpg

@Half/Stop wow absolutely stunning 08s!!!

I'm not sure what GEC's policy is on Store knives either but I think they would probably fix that free of charge regardless. It's a pretty serious defect in my opinion and obviously not caused by abuse or user error.

It's been awhile since your post. Have you contacted someone at GEC? I think that might be your best option as it will most likely require disassembly or replacement of the knife if they have any left.

So about a week after I initially emailed on August 30th I left for a 2 week hunt/expedition in Alaska set up by my father. I hadn't gotten a reply yet when I got back to where I had WiFi, so I sent another email on September 15th. I got an email back on September 21st saying that since it is a "Store Knife" the only thing they can recommend is oiling the joints. I thanked them and let them know I understand. Still, it seems a little silly to suggest oiling the joints with an issue this severe.

What I'm taking out of this is that no matter how they're branded or titled "Store Knives" are what every other company calls "seconds" and treated as such. I initially had this understanding, but then was informed that the "Store Knives" were not different than other knives they just wanted to sell them in house so that the buyer could inspect beforehand. "Store Knives" are not covered under warranty for service whether manufacturing defect or not. That's alright and I'm not upset, I've always gotten good service in the past the few times I've had issues with GEC knives, I just think it's good to put out there in case anyone is unsure.

I have been told, as I suspected, that to fix this it will have to be taken apart and put back together by a third party. Considering the cost associated and the fragility of the Unicorn Ivory Acrylic, that sounds like a losing venture. Hopefully a friendly forum member I met at the Rendezvous still has one available as he offered when I first posted about this issue.

Thanks for clearing up the "Store Knives" concept. Sorry to hear that they wouldn't fix it but I do understand that policies must be adhered to. I really thought they might make an exception in your case but I understand their position.

Yes, definitely my favorite pattern especially the 2 blade versions. 2008 and 2009 seem to be my favorites but this is because of the cover choices. I am usually not an acrylic person but acrylic covers just seem to be a perfect match for these little gems. (An aside: I am a huge blue mammoth fan for all time favorite covers but have yet to see a blue mammoth 25 unless it has been modded). As for fit and finish, and I am sure others have their own opinions, I have not noticed a huge difference. I have heard some people were not entirely pleased with this most recent run but the ones I received were of equal quality as any of the others I own.[/QUOTE
I have most of the variants from this run and I am very pleased with the fit and finish. I even bought a few duplicates and out of the 10 or so total I got out of this run, I have not had one issue with any of them. Very pleased and was very impressed with the level fit and finish.

Yes, definitely my favorite pattern especially the 2 blade versions. 2008 and 2009 seem to be my favorites but this is because of the cover choices. I am usually not an acrylic person but acrylic covers just seem to be a perfect match for these little gems. (An aside: I am a huge blue mammoth fan for all time favorite covers but have yet to see a blue mammoth 25 unless it has been modded). As for fit and finish, and I am sure others have their own opinions, I have not noticed a huge difference. I have heard some people were not entirely pleased with this most recent run but the ones I received were of equal quality as any of the others I own.
And thank you for sharing your comments. Just from your few posts I have gained some good knowledge and history of these little guys.

Peregrin Peregrin
Congratulations Gary. It's a sweet addition to the multitude of 25 covers. I think it would look excellent as a compliment to your Halfrich.

Hi David i just got a #25 in Goldenrod jig bone and have been playing this mod over in my mind , but have been thinking Dremel as that is what i have but what you used is clearly not a Dremel, it looks as if you clamped the knife in a bench vice and bought the grinding wheel down freehand using an electric drill , could you please tell me the specification of the grind wheel so that i can order one, thank you in advance.
PS luck did not come into it, i am guessing a firm hand a steady eye and perhaps a silent prayer , anyhoo it looks like a fine job to me.

I have used my Dremel for this mod, it works fine. I use a vice to hold the knife, just be careful not to clamp it harder than needed to secure the knife. The material will not be removed too quickly for you to make adjustments along the way to make certain the shape and location is where you want.

The “nerve” required is just to get started. You’ll be fine after that.

P.S. Practice on a cheap knife first.

I have used my Dremel for this mod, it works fine. I use a vice to hold the knife, just be careful not to clamp it harder than needed to secure the knife. The material will not be removed too quickly for you to make adjustments along the way to make certain the shape and location is where you want.

The “nerve” required is just to get started. You’ll be fine after that.

P.S. Practice on a cheap knife first.

Good plan i have an old Smith and Wesson flipper down in my old tool box i think , so there is my crash test dummy. But the nerve comes with taking a grindstone to a $124.00 knife and if i mess up i wont be able to get a replacement.

Back