GEC #35 Churchill Thread

Sure looks interesting. I'll pass though. How do you think a cattle knife would do on this pattern? I'd probably be all over it

I'm digging the Churchill (jungle acrylic on reserve!) but I think you are right ISKRA, the 35 would be sweet if beefed up with 2 springs either as cattle knife or scout.

I would like to see a 2 blade jack...of wait! Calf Pen Jack is coming!

Based on last year's 35, the Churchill should be a winner, especially if there's no blade rub.

I'll take 2 ;)

Churchill%20peace%202.jpg

Sure looks interesting. I'll pass though. How do you think a cattle knife would do on this pattern? I'd probably be all over it

I'm digging the Churchill (jungle acrylic on reserve!) but I think you are right ISKRA, the 35 would be sweet if beefed up with 2 springs either as cattle knife or scout.

I would like to see a 2 blade jack...of wait! Calf Pen Jack is coming!

Based on last year's 35, the Churchill should be a winner, especially if there's no blade rub.

I was thinking of a Cattle Knife version too but I would only prefer that over the Churchill because of the extra spring, not necessarily the additional blade.

I like that the Churchill has only the two blades that I use the most and nothing more. In my opinion, it could only be improved by having two springs but I'm probably the minority on that preference.

I was thinking of a Cattle Knife version too but I would only prefer that over the Churchill because of the extra spring, not necessarily the additional blade.

I like that the Churchill has only the two blades that I use the most and nothing more. In my opinion, it could only be improved by having two springs but I'm probably the minority on that preference.

Yeaaahhh, I like the single spring. Why have two springs? Just curious.

I'd like the Churchill more if it had a punch. Hmm, what if I duct taped it to last years Drover? Kinda like a camp knife. :p

Yeaaahhh, I like the single spring. Why have two springs? Just curious.

I like the single spring too but I would prefer a double spring. I think that preference is mainly because I've carried some form of a Stockman or Cattle Knife most of my adult life and I've gotten so used to the bulk of two springs that one spring seems slightly awkward to me. I also like three spring knives.

I sincerely wish you better luck than I've had with the Ebony. My Calf Roper was a bit of a disappointment and I bought a GEC years ago in Ebony that was the same way. More brown than black. For this reason, I've given up on ordering Ebony handled knives sight unseen.

It's a good looking slab of wood as long as I can get past the fact that it's supposed to be black.

View attachment 751310
Hmm. I preordered an ebony and a stag. I was hoping the ebony could serve as a dress knife with black shoes, belt, etc. Maybe not.

Very interested in the size and single spring, though.

My feelings echo that of the OP on all areas. I pre-ordered an ebony 35 and I am very excited about receiving it. Could be my favorite pattern. Kudos to GEC for the blade choices.

I too am hoping for all black Ebony scales myself, just like my 35HJ

Last edited:
This is the first I have heard of this pattern. Well, now that I think about it I seem to recall something about it but I had forgotten. :p Thanks for reminding me that I need one of these, Dylan. I hope there will be a few ebony available.

This is the first I have heard of this pattern. Well, now that I think about it I seem to recall something about it but I had forgotten. :p Thanks for reminding me that I need one of these, Dylan. I hope there will be a few ebony available.

Glad I could help you spend your money, Kevin :D. I am sure there will be plenty to choose from. Unless, for whatever reason, this pattern becomes an overnight sensation.

AAPK is another forum. I imagine that since it is attached to whatever cover material is yet to be announced for this pattern, it would be considered that particular forum's SFO. On past knives, they have used their own etch, shield, and tang stamp. I imagine you will see the same on this one too.

I don't frequent that forum much other than the occasional pass when I'm researching something.

The 35 pattern has really intrigued me. I'm a big fan of the Northwoods IRJ, very similar in size and love the equal end bolsters and spear. Just never pulled the trigger on last year's 35 because I didn't see myself needing the punch. Perhaps in hindsight that was a mistake. However this run could change that. Two blades on a single spring makes it extremely useful and maintains its main draw, thin. Pàdruig Pàdruig thank you for starting this tread, the new release had completely slipped out of my memory. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

I like the single spring with 2 blades, but really wish it was a spear and coping combo! I still might end up with one...

Looking forward to seeing what shields they choose. Hopefully, they'll use some of the plain classic shields that were used on the recent run of 66 stockman.

Love that the sheepfoot is full size and not undersized like the coping blade secondaries on some of their knives. I'd like to see the coping blades similar to this size... or just swapped out for a sheepfoot since there's a very minor difference in the shape of both.

I do wish that they sunk the sheepfoot a bit lower. Since there are only two blades, the sheepfoot doesn't need to sit high to make it accessible. It could sit as low as a spey blade on a cattle knife. I might lower mine.

I like the single spring with 2 blades, but really wish it was a spear and coping combo! I still might end up with one...

Spear/sheepfoot would be good too. I think GEC puts a better taper on their clip blades than the spears. For that reason alone, I tend to prefer clip blades from GEC. But both clip/sheepfoot and spear/sheepfoot would be good.

Back