GEC #35 Churchill Thread

Added a seconds Yellow Rose that looks a bit like rotten banana bone.

S3M6j8a.jpg

Sorry fellas, I have my cursor pointed at Buy Now! on a Tidioute Maroon Linen Micarta Churchill.
My only question/concern is, when griping the knife,does the sheepsfoot blade dig into your hand/fingers?

Sorry fellas, I have my cursor pointed at Buy Now! on a Tidioute Maroon Linen Micarta Churchill.
My only question/concern is, when griping the knife,does the sheepsfoot blade dig into your hand/fingers?
Not in a way that's bothersome, at least not to me. Some here have filed the kick to drop the sheepsfoot down some and claim better ergonomics as a result. I'm sure they'll chime in here as the sun rises.

This is an issue that has never bothered me on any knife that I can remember but a lot of folks do find it irritating on some knives.

I'm holding a Churchill in my hands right now and for me the Sheepsfoot blade doesn't dig into my hand any more than the Clip blade does when using the Sheepsfoot.

It bothered me in a hammer grip only, which isn’t a normal grip for this kind of knife. I filed the kick and do find it better both in hand and to the eye.

An aside, has anyone seen the new Gary Oldman Churchill movie, and do we have any knife content in the movie itself? Sheffield was in it's glory at this time, it would be a comforting scene to see Churchill, amidst the chaos and the fears of Dunkirk and the coming Blitzkrieg, cutting an apple for himself.

I don't have a problem with it being uncomfortable during use, but I'm not using it for heavy chores where a really tight grip is needed. This 35 is my first traditional with micarta & I like it. The nice thing about micarta is that it's about as tough as any handle material, it will be a uniform thickness, fit & look on both sides of the knife; which can also make it seem a bit boring to some, but makes it a good material for a working knife IMO.
IMG_0655-X3.jpg

Yes, it (does)can dig in...
I shift my grip so it’s less annoying.

Okey dokey men, thank you for your take on the overall grip, and problem solving if any on this beauty.
Ironbut,awesome pic! that's the one soon to be in my pocket.

I don't have a problem with it being uncomfortable during use, but I'm not using it for heavy chores where a really tight grip is needed. This 35 is my first traditional with micarta & I like it. The nice thing about micarta is that it's about as tough as any handle material, it will be a uniform thickness, fit & look on both sides of the knife; which can also make it seem a bit boring to some, but makes it a good material for a working knife IMO.
IMG_0655-X3.jpg
I'm with Ironbut in regards to the sheepfoot not being a problem as my cutting tasks are not heavy duty for the most part. Now about Ironbut's picture...just FANTASTIC:cool::thumbsup: it highlights the Micarta nicely. I have several Micarta clad traditional's and they rank at the top of my "like list" for several reasons:)

Thanks Paul! I'm usually an ebony collector but this Micarta is calling me.

I'm with you dc in regards to ebony, butI tried a 77 Barlow in Micarta and haven't looked back yet. I was surprised to see how certain Micarta's age:thumbsup:

Only fitting you own a Churchill with your tag line:cool:;):thumbsup:

Wood and Micarta are my favorite materials, too. And I just grind down the kick on the sheepsfoot blade a little bit. Evens the height of the blades, makes it more comfy in hand, more attractive. The slight drop of the spring at closed doesn't bother me. Heck, I've seen TC barlows that had sunken springs when open!

An aside, has anyone seen the new Gary Oldman Churchill movie, and do we have any knife content in the movie itself? Sheffield was in it's glory at this time, it would be a comforting scene to see Churchill, amidst the chaos and the fears of Dunkirk and the coming Blitzkrieg, cutting an apple for himself.

Actually, I think Sheffield's glory times were well before the 1940s - in terms of knife making at least. As for Churchill apple eating, mmmmh perhaps he'd be using a corkscrew more likely..;)

Wood and Micarta are my favorite materials, too. And I just grind down the kick on the sheepsfoot blade a little bit. Evens the height of the blades, makes it more comfy in hand, more attractive. The slight drop of the spring at closed doesn't bother me. Heck, I've seen TC barlows that had sunken springs when open!
Alright! I may just do that, if the little ole sheeps foot gets in my way. :D

Back