GEC 39 Old Sheffield Jack

And yes, camel bone is very dense which effects the dyeing process
Im sure how long they sit in the dye bath, and the concentration matters too, but ive never made handle scales except silver ones and that was mostly trimming
I wonder why wouldn't they modify the painting process in such case, so they'll get darker covers occasionally but at least they won't be almost white...

I have also seen cattle bone runs with similar variation.
By GEC or someone else?

As a side note, fat spear could be interesting on that pattern.

I wonder why wouldn't they modify the painting process in such case, so they'll get darker covers occasionally but at least they won't be almost white...

By GEC or someone else?

Both by GEC as well as others. Again, dye consistency is a result of multiple factors. There are no makers that I'm aware of who produce an entire run of a bone handled knife where every single knife is consistently colored. I know GEC sure doesn't. I have an extensive GEC collection, and I've moved knives along that I received because I didn't like the dye job, only to purchase the same knife with a better dye job afterward. I'm understanding of what they have to deal with, so it is what it is.

By GEC or someone else?
I believe this look is exactly what GEC and many knife collectors are looking for with camel bone. It’s luck of the draw but produces some unique and desirable handles.

it is what it is
Sad but true, as they say. Still might try and go for that one.

It’s luck of the draw
And requires even more luck than a stag!

Another funny thing is that you most likely can't gift such knives to non-knife people, because they'll most definitely think that they're flawed, haha.

awwww dammit...
... I'm going to have to work hard to resist this one.

Pioneer bone is bone taken from the Santa Fe Trail and Oregon Trail from the horses and oxen that died along the way as the Pioneers of the 1800s moved Westward.

Sorry - couldn't help myself :rolleyes:
I suppose that's a joke?

I mean, what's the difference between the pioneer bone and natural bone?

Back