GEC #89 Fruit Knife...well, that was a surprise!

Dadpool

Gold Member
Single-blade spear point, 440C stainless :eek:, with three cheerful-sounding cover options: apples and oranges acrylic, glow acrylic, and Chestnut wood.

Color me very surprised indeed! :D

I've never owned any variation of the #89 pattern. If anyone would like to share pics, let's see them! :thumbsup:

I'm no expert, but I believe that is an understatement! :D I get positively giddy when GEC releases anything in stainless, and twice as giddy when the covers sound this fun.
I know I'm starting to regret going with the chestnut...:eek:

Based on GEC's archive of photos of past variations, I believe this is the first single-bladed #89 they've done. Is that accurate?

Based on GEC's archive of photos of past variations, I believe this is the first single-bladed #89 they've done. Is that accurate?

Could have sworn I’d seen a single blade when looking through those pics, but it looks you’re right. Must have just been blind for a couple of them.

This seems like just the knife to take to the farmers market.

When these were first announced I was not interested, but now I think these will be really great users for market and garden.

These will also make good gifts for non-knife people since they are easy to take care of and very slim and thin. I hope they have good snap.

Single-blade spear point, 440C stainless :eek:, with three cheerful-sounding cover options: apples and oranges acrylic, glow acrylic, and Chestnut wood.

Color me very surprised indeed! :D

I've never owned any variation of the #89 pattern. If anyone would like to share pics, let's see them! :thumbsup:[/QUOTE
Here you go. :)
View attachment 1544548

I know I'm starting to regret going with the chestnut...:eek:

You're good, chances are fair the orange and apple will have a seam. The glow in the dark somehow doesn't suit the use of this type of knife in my opinion. You picked a good one :thumbsup:

#89 Executive Whittlers
fJX4LcO.jpg

#89 Riverboat Gamblers (w/clip). One elk is gone, but I also have a red jigged bone.
ZCLJUdG.jpg

The 89 is definitely in my top 5 patterns (along with about 6 other patterns:p). Especially the Gambler w/ clip main.

#89 Executive Whittlers
fJX4LcO.jpg

#89 Riverboat Gamblers (w/clip). One elk is gone, but I also have a red jigged bone.
ZCLJUdG.jpg

The 89 is definitely in my top 5 patterns (along with about 6 other patterns:p). Especially the Gambler w/ clip main.

These always look massive to me, do you have any comparison photos?

#89 Executive Whittlers
fJX4LcO.jpg

ZCLJUdG.jpg

Those Riverboat Gamblers are really neat. As a side note it’s too bad GEC isn’t using the acorn shield on these stainless 89s.

They look like a long knife, but they really aren't- it's mostly that they're slender. Here's an 89 between a 85 and a 62 for comparison.
UXJExFT.jpg

Thanks for that. That picture really puts it in perspective. Otherwise, the knife looks almost 97 length.

I've got one from the first run, the "melon tester whittler" in 2009, 2nd cut jigged burnt stag. Very interesting knife but I'd love to try the upcoming single-blade version, hope I can snag a chestnut or glow on a drop!

FE58CBD2-466C-42B9-AB1B-C7F52FFDEB03.jpeg

Back