GEC #89 Fruit Knife...well, that was a surprise!

I think melon tester was very likely some kind of marketing name from decades ago.

Here in Europe, we test a melon by its smell...if it's pungent and sweet smelling then the melon is ripe and sweet- this for smaller cantaloupe types anyway (Gala, Charantais etc) With watermelon I suppose if you stick it with a long pointed knife you'd be able to determine ripeness by the feel and the sweetness of the juice coming out? But they can have hard skins and yes a long thin blade could fold...better ensure it has a sharp tip :D Still sounds fun though, testing stuff :cool: Plus a long blade would be ideal for harvesting melons from the vine.

I've often wondered how a Cotton Sampler's distinctive blade is used to cut into a cotton bail, but looking for what etc? Farmers please reply.:thumbsup:

Hope the Chestnut is more durable than that stuff they put on the last stainless run of 15s in 2015 or 16, glad I chose Bone for that, Elk would've been great and on this run too.

I actually see the traditional fruit knives on belts around here occasionally. It's not surprising when you realize that agriculture, especially fruit and nut, is the main driver of our local economy. A lot of peaches, nectarines, and oranges are grown around here. Not to mention all of the US almond production (80% of the world's production) and about 50% of the world's pistachio production.

I saw someone last week with a fruit tester on his belt.

Everyone needs a melon tester if only for the novelty of it.

Ie0p84K.jpg

I’m pretty excited for this model. I always get pumped when GEC uses stainless, and having a GITD knife just excites the child in me. I haven’t had the chance to even handle an 89 before, which is somewhat surprising to me.

That Glow in the Dark has a very nice yellow color... like Case Delrin. :cool::thumbsup:
I hope they will use it on some future patterns.

It’s interesting. It looks more yellow than their Nifebrite acrylic, and less yellow than their Sunbrite acrylic. Maybe that’s why (so far, at least) they’re just calling it “glow in the dark.”

I wish this one in particular was being done as a Farm & Field shadow pattern.

Back