GEC #99 Wall Street and Blade Play

DRLyman

Gold Member
I just received the #99 I was able to get last week that KSF had for sale. I like everything about it, except that it has both vertical and horizontal blade play. I'm just getting into traditional knives, so I'm wondering if this is acceptable and/or normal for this knife or not. The only other lock backs that I have are my 110s and 112s and none of them have it.

I'm not a fan of the expression "fake news" but I've owned every lockback that GEC has made and not one has exhibited blade play. I repeat not one.

My 99 from the first run has none and it's a user animal. Nor do either of my 83s (a very nice smaller lock back) I have heard others complain of play but none found here.

I'm not a fan of the expression "fake news" but I've owned every lockback that GEC has made and not one has exhibited blade play. I repeat not one.

You, my dear man, should buy lottery tickets every time you go in the quickie mart.... Especially early on, there was discernible play (at least rock) in 85%+ of GEC lockbacks. Over the last few years they gave up on good action and tightened the pivot to cut down on play complaints and reversed it to probably closer to 20% - depending on the pattern. Also, some people can find a "ton of play" where others can find none at all - just depends on your background and expectations.

I have to be honest Mike in that I thought most of the complaints about blade were "piling on." I guess I'll have to adjust my position, but in my case, facts are facts.

I’ve had a 42 and two of the new 99’s, and 2 of the three had blade play. The 42 was the worst, the 99 in chestnut was very slight, and the elk 99 I have is solid as a rock.

The solid one has the toughest pull, though... so I’m thinking it’s a balancing act.

The bucks use a different design, though they can have play too.

I have to be honest Mike in that I thought most of the complaints about blade were "piling on." I guess I'll have to adjust my position, but in my case, facts are facts.

I’m an unabashed GEC fanboy, but trust me, it’s not fake news. :p

I was able to grab a Chestnut 99. There is a tiny tiny bit of "lock rock" I guess you would call it. Doesn't bother me, fine looking knife! :thumbsup:

I have a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of play in my #72.
Doesn't bother me a bit. I trust that lockup completely.

I got a few Case Tribal Locks and Copperlocks. They all have solid lock ups.
Case got it right.:thumbsup:
In GEC I have:
3 Mudbugs... all solid:)
2 #83's... bad wiggles both ways :(:mad::poop:
1 #99 Chestnut... not to bad but a little wiggle both ways.

Thanks for the helpful responses. To clarify, the blade wiggles back and forth horizontally and vertically when I hold the handle in one hand and blade in the other. I’ve never had a knife that did it as much as this one does, so I was curious since I’m just getting into traditional knives.

This. But still not much to speak of.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm not picking on you, but more so the overall thought of this.

I really don't understand this. I can't complain about the gas mileage in my car if I drive around with the E-Brake on. People are complaining of a "fault" only found when using the knife in a way that it was never intended.

I mean, I understand the appeal of a "bank vault" lock up, and I would understand if you could feel the blade moving around while cutting through thick cardboard. If you can only feel it when you manipulate it, though, is it really an issue?

It is to me, because I wouldn't accept it in any other style or type of knife, why should I accept it just because it's a traditional? If it was an old knife, and had seen lots of use, that would make a difference of course - 'traditional' or not.

These are new knives.

I mean, I understand the appeal of a "bank vault" lock up, and I would understand if you could feel the blade moving around while cutting through thick cardboard. If you can only feel it when you manipulate it, though, is it really an issue?

If I’m not mistaken, aren’t the tolerances for kickbacks tighter than a slip joint when it comes to getting everything to fit snugly and still have proper action?

I wonder if the GEC issues aren’t a product of the age of their machinery?

Back