• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

GEC Dealer Disclosure Thread- Introduction & Solicitation for Feedback

JTB_5

Gold Member
In watching folks complain about the fluctuating prices surrounding new releases of GEC knives, I thought it might be a helpful thing to begin a thread that helps folks easily identify which dealers are hitting which price ranges with respect to new knife drops. The thread accomplishes at least two things: first, it allows people to see what sort of price they can expect to pay from dealers who may not disclose the prices prior to a drop or invoice; and second, it can serve as a reference for folks to use should the current market fever for GEC ever return to equilibrium and they want to patronize the dealers who decided to save them money in a time when they could have jumped on the easy money bandwagon.

My preference would be for the thread to remain factual and avoid defamation and inflammatory comments. I'm not interested in bashing dealers who decide to make an extra profit. If you want to do that, start a new thread, by all means. I really want this thread to be informational for individual buyers and sellers--especially individuals who are new to the market and don't know how to judge the prices at a time when they are really all over the place. Feel free to offer feedback on the design for reporting. I haven't really given that aspect of it much thought.

The idea for the mechanism of disclosure:
It seems best to try and make one of these threads with each new knife release, because otherwise it will quickly become hard to follow and find. So, for instance, someone would start a new thread for the later release: "GEC Dealer Disclosure Thread: #852221." The initial thread would list all of the GEC Distributors and post the prices for the run for each knife in the run (e.g. Natural Canvas, Dead Skunk Acrylic, Cherry Natural Smooth Bone). Any price that is unknown could be left blank and those who have knowledge could reply to the thread and the original poster could update the initial post to reflect that information. Thus, the opening post would eventually reflect all of the prices that dealers sold that knife for at retail. Here's an small example:

GEC Dealer Disclosure Thread: #852221

CollectorKnives
Natural Canvas - $102
Dead Skunk Acrylic -
Cherry Natural Smooth Bone -

DLT Trading
Natural Canvas -
Dead Skunk Acrylic -

Knives Ship Free
Natural Canvas -
Dead Skunk Acrylic -

The Knife Connection
Natural Canvas -
Dead Skunk Acrylic -

And so on for each dealer. Some dealers might be more difficult because they also sell some of their knives on Ebay, but if possible those usernames and prices (if they are "Buy it Now") could be added under the Dealer's name as a version of that same dealer, for e.g. (a hypothetical):

Bob's Bargain Knives
Natural Canvas - $145
Dead Skunk Acrylic -

Bob's Bargain Knives - Ebay Alias "BigboyKnives"
Natural Canvas - $200
Dead Skunk Acrylic -

I don't really know what sort of interest this kind of informational thread would have, but I think it would be a useful tool, especially if it could be kept free of anything other than the information.

What do ya'll think?

I've been paying more recently but also have been lucky to get almost everything I want. From what I understand, GEC has asked dealers to increase the prices to help slow down the flipping. This is mostly my opinion. I think GEC is making less variations which allows them to make more of each. More buyers are able to get a shot at picking up a knife. Does anyone else have this feeling? On the downside, I'm paying the same on a regular basis but am getting less knives. Is what it is. I think GEC won't see much of a change on their end unless they are charging dealers more and getting more profit for themselves. I hope they are. Without GEC, without the folks that are selling them, none of us would be enjoying this hobby, none of us would be here talking about it. I just don't want to see new prices starting to get near the secondary market prices. Lol. I like the lower production numbers GEC produces vs larger makers. I can get lower quality, less interesting, way less expensive knives by the bucket. Just doesn't interest me. If some dealers keep their prices really low, they obviously will sell them all out just like they have been and the higher priced dealers as well. Time will tell. Ramble done.

I got an email from The Knife Connection, and C. Risner (Traditional Pocket Knives) has been doing lotteries with prices disclosed.

Source for these prices? None of these dealers show any availablity for this knife at their website at any price
Of course they don't have pricing on their website. They don't get that far. You would have to get their email notifications or be on their reserve list.

Since we've already got the information going, I've started a new thread for the #852221 pattern. We can keep this thread going for feedback and discussion of the list idea itself. But the other thread can become the one where we post information on the current run.

Thanks!

Any idea what the MSRP should be? Based on the info above I suspect ~$102. I’m on a list for an acrylic, but I don’t know the price yet. If the dealer up-charges by 50%+ I may just drop out. Would be good to know the MSRP before getting invoiced.

Any idea what the MSRP should be? Based on the info above I suspect ~$102. I’m on a list for an acrylic, but I don’t know the price yet. If the dealer up-charges by 50%+ I may just drop out. Would be good to know the MSRP before getting invoiced.
Looks like about 40% is common for many dealers.

CK is usually about 70% of msrp. So CK $102 would put msrp at about $145.

Don't forget you/we have been buying knives at the lowest dealers are allowed to sell for for a long time. MSRP has always been up in these ranges.

Back