Recommendation? GEC or ...?

Hey guys. I'm interested in buying a larger slip joint but no clue what. The GEC website is confusing. I don't know how many blades, length handle material, etc. How can you help me figure out what it is I want? Lol. I have a medium stockman, too small. I carry a victorinox farmer x, that's a decent size. I like something that fills the hands, not many square edges.

Hey guys. I'm interested in buying a larger slip joint but no clue what. The GEC website is confusing. I don't know how many blades, length handle material, etc. How can you help me figure out what it is I want? Lol. I have a medium stockman, too small. I carry a victorinox farmer x, that's a decent size. I like something that fills the hands, not many square edges.
For GEC knives you can use post #3 in this thread to determine closed length, blade length, and whether it has a half stop.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...-if-they-have-half-stops-and-lengths.1091784/

Since you are a stockman man, find a pre-2004 made in USA Old Timer 858/858OT stockman.
It's "only" 4 5/8 inch closed, though. :D
This one has been in my pocket since it arrived on the October 29th. :)

The offshore made BTI 858OT and 858OTB are nearly identical, but are just 4.5 inch closed.

The offshore made are good knives for EDC as well, (even if a little short), and don't have the daRn Sweden Key.
The 858OTB has the "440C Equivalent" 9CR18MoV blade steel, and genuine saw cut bone covers. The 858OT has the "440A Equivalent' 7CR17MoV blades, and saw cut Delrin covers.

made in USA Old Timer 858. I think it's 1998-2004 vintage

View attachment 1449133

Offshore 858OT (left) and 858OTB (right).

View attachment 1449147

Id suggest Case to be honest. Sorry thats not what you asked, but GEC is a pain to get ahold of. Case is cheaper and you can find exactly what you want, with more choices.
Also, if you want smooth rounded edges, GEC may not be for you. Fans call them "crisp", but I call them sharp and uncomfortable lol The blade spines are always sharp and they dig into you, and the jigging can be the same way until it wears (which it wont if youre a collector).
The older schrades are good too as mentioned earlier, but they dont have mich variety, just brown delrin basically.
If youre stuck on GEC, go to collectorknives.
Good luck :)

I’d recommend a 235120L in Woodland micarta. It’s a little bigger knife than most people wanted and so there are some good deals on eBay.

Are you looking for a multi blade, or a single blade?

If a single blade, I'd recommend the GEC 23 with liner lock.
If more than one blade, there are a few. The GEC 23 with two blades, or a Case Folding Hunter, or one of the aforementioned Schrade large stockmen.

A Buck 301 Stockman is a full size knife and easy to acquire in two scales choices. Or perhaps a Case Sowbelly. Another interesting stockman pattern that fills the hand. If you have the misfortune of loosing either one you should be able to acquire another without too much effort.

If you do really want a larger GEC I have seen a few of their two blade Moose models on a few sites. Full size at 4 inches.

GECs are well made, an exceptional value for their involved effort and resulting product. However finding what you want when you want it is another story. Many are more or less pre-sold or they often sell out in minutes or hours. Our community of knife collectors seems to be thriving.

Then there is the care and feeding of their non-stainless steel blades. Don't get me wrong, I love them, own many and plan to acquire more. They just take that extra effort in acquiring and maintaining.

,,,Mike in Canada

I'll second the idea that the jigging on gec's is a bit rough initially. I've got a 92 in the elderberry bone that was pretty rough in hand until it spent a few weeks in my pocket. I find the 23 intriguing, but can't bring myself to buy a knife that I probably won't carry.

P.S. how's the slip working out?

iKzRJEy.jpg

Since the 23's are be floated about as a suggestion, a pic for your viewing pleasure :D:thumbsup:
Beavertail in Brazilian cherry on top and woodland micarta on bottom.

I'll second the idea that the jigging on gec's is a bit rough initially. I've got a 92 in the elderberry bone that was pretty rough in hand until it spent a few weeks in my pocket. I find the 23 intriguing, but can't bring myself to buy a knife that I probably won't carry.

P.S. how's the slip working out?
It's great! Have my case in it actually. I miss my canal street cutlery forum knife from 2015

4U2KEJs.jpg

Not sure how hard it woukd be to track one down but I love the GEC Calfpen. Locking wharncliffe blade, one hand opening secondary, not sure if its right size wise for you though. Its 3-3/4 inches or there about. I've seen different closed lengths given I think due to whether or not the screwdriver protrusion is added. As you can see I use the living daylights out of mine,sometimes put away in my pocket wet,dirty,sweaty,greasy, whatever it takes it and is ready for more.

Back