Gelbu Special....WOW

Thanks Walosi ;) Does Usti Da-li refer to a particular type of frog? (I'm actually interested partially because my mother does pottery with little woojahs and creatures attached - particularly frogs and lizards).

On Beo-Ram - it's more or less a nonsense word. Years ago when I had to come up with a 'handle' or id or something in 5 seconds, that's what I choose. What is actually is is a combination of Beowulf (the Geatish ['Swedish'] hero in the epic Old English poem of the same name [see my COT thread]) and Rama (the hero [and avatar of Krishna] in the Indian epic the Ramayana). Thus Beowulf + Rama = Beo-Ram. A sort of combination between the Anglo-Saxon 'ideal' man and the Indian 'ideal' man - representing my interest/background/spiritual affiliations with/attachments to those two cultures.

(actually Beowulf is literally 'Bee-wolf', which means 'Bear'. But Beoram doesn't mean anything in Old English, so far as I know - other than perhaps what Uncle Bill says, a 'beo' (bee) with a 'ram' ;) And Beoram is complete nonsense in Sanskrit)

Yes, those actually are my eyes behind the 'mask'. It's actually the Sutton Hoo helmet with an OM symbol superimposed over it. A better version is on my homepage, reproduced here:

beoram.jpg

cheers, B.

"Usti Da-li" is "Little Tree Frog". They may have individual names, but I don't know them. Interesting (?) Frog Trivia. People from the Rockies will tell you to stop, get out of your car and look up, if you are driving in the high country at night. In the crystal clear air, you can see the stars. "Really? How quaint". Yes, but hold on to your car door, because your first sight of ALL of the stars, at one time, will literally cause some people to lose their balance. S'truth :)

Similarly, if you are driving in SW Arkansas-NE Oklahoma during the first week or so in July, at night, stop near a wooded area, get out and listen to the Da-li. "Oh, do they go 'peep, peep, peep?" No. They roar. The sound cannot be described, but once you've heard it, you can hear it after you start up again, over the road noise and the sound of your AC. Again, hold on to something at first. It is unbelieveable that a sound thousands of years old, and so dramatic, can be a "first time" experience for most people. OK, that covers drive-by astronomy and tonight's nature studies... well, the Cairn is still out checking for coyotes, but I've had it for this week. Sack time.

The air above the Kathmandu Valley is some of the most polluted in the world and you're lucky to see three stars at night. But once you travel above the smog layer into the Himalayas you have some of the most non-polluted air in the world and the night views are astounding. I had to remind myself that the moon was really not that close and I really couldn't reach up and touch it. Something magical about a night sky in the Himalayas.

Back