Gerber Blades?

Are they a decent manufacturer? They aren't mentioned much in here, so I thought I could ask. (Their Spectre turned me onto this hobby)

Gerber's been around for a very long time. From around 1939 I think. There are currently owned by the Fiskar Corp.

and it served me well, first production run EZ-Out (1995, yikes). Gave it away only last week to a girl at school who goes jogging late at night. Still have a Gerber multi-tool, 600 series. It's a little heavy so it stays in my bag but I get use out of it. Their old knives are held in high regard. Then they seemed to be in a slump. But I've heard good things about the Yari and IIRC the Spectre and Harsey Air Ranger, too.

Frank

I like them alot. Im on my second ez-out (first was lost) and it is a great edc. Very light but comfortable. I also carry the Air ranger and I really like that knife too. I think they are well made knives, others may say differently. Do a seacrh for them and you should come up with more than enough.

I carried a Large E-Z out for years. A good knife for about 25 bux.

I have a Yari and so far is has been very nice.

I have ALOT of knives, and 2 of my all-time favorites are my Gerber Yari, and my Gerber BMF...In-fact, the more I look at, and handle, my Yari, the more I'm thinking it might be my FAVORITE.

I like and own a few Gerber knives. Pretty good quality, but a lot of their knives use stainless that is left a little softer on the Rockwell scale. A little too soft for most people. Still, they are easy to sharpen, so people enjoy carrying and using them. Some, like the excellent Yari, use 154CM, and are very good values indeed.

I carried a Gerber for the better part of 18 years. I have moved on now, but they served me well for a long time. I still have an old Gerber in my Fishing vest, and one in my car emergency kit. Good lil knives.

Verax

I carried a Gerber Harsey Air Ranger off and on for awhile. It was a damn good knife. I also own a few more of their knives and find them all to be pretty good.

They have one of the best lineups of multi tools on the market, in quality, strength and design. The quality of thier knives, has always been good for the price and seems to be improving even more as they expand their lineup.

I have a sl 3.25 carbon fiber handle ATS-34 blade.Great knife not to big but big enough.A lot of people knock gerber but hey if you like it you buy it if you don't you get the picture.It all comes down to personnel choice,And budget,I know i love mine:D

Yes, they are a good manufacturer and have been around for a while.

I still have one of the sportsman series from the 70´s, a small single blade lockback with thin brass liners and bolsters and wood inserts.

From those days I also had an aluminum handled fixed blade which unfourtunately was stolen, it was pretty good.

From more modern times I have a Gator, an EZ-out, a small stockman pattern, a Gerber international AR300 (Taiwan, in AUS8) and several Multitools, all are good quality and not expensive.

I believe the old ones had more carbon in the steel, probably 440C, I don´t know what their new standard steel is, it´s fine, though the old sporstman seems to hold an edge better.

Big fan of the Harsey Air Ranger II. I also like my little AR3.00. In fact my Air Ranger may be the toughest production knife I own.

the Guardian is well, it´s fixed. Guess they have a new and better sheath now.

The AR3.00 is well grinded, it locks good, even though i never tried hard testings. The scales could be fixed together in a better way. I screwed them at the back. Prices here in Germany are too high.

Yes, they are Fiscars Inc. It was a funny thing. I tried to get contact to Gerber going over Fiscars Germany. Nobody ever heard a thing about Gerber. There was just one personin the office, saying:" Yes, i know, they are part of us, producing knifes." It really was funny.

Right now they are not all that great. They are working at rebuilding there reputation and product quality. They do have some decent piece but. Go Benchmade, Spyderco, MOD, Kershaw, CRKT

Originally posted by Nimravus
Right now they are not all that great. They are working at rebuilding there reputation and product quality. They do have some decent piece but. Go Benchmade, Spyderco, MOD, Kershaw, CRKT
I dunno...I'd put my Gerber Yari or BMF up against anything...Especially the Yari with its' excellent 154CM steel!

Gerber has gone down hill since Fiskars bought them. If you like inexpensive cutlery comparable to Buck or Columbia River, you might like Gerber. My favorite knife just happens to be a gerber Mark 1 (discontinued.) :p

My general understanding is that Gerber has always been known as a "good" company, though I don't recall a period where they ever acheived a reputation for making "great" knives. Ah well, for relatively high-quality entry-level knives, Gerber is a fine choice.

Back