Gerber/Fiskars 'axe'...

I am wanting a small axe/hatchet for a backpack. I was looking at some of the Gerber's at the store, and wondered which to get. I know to get a Finland made Gerber... but wondered how effective the smallest one would really be for usage (the 'pack axe'). The next one larger is called the 'sport axe' (I think)... larger, but maybe still OK for a backpack...

Comments, please...

I have used one for a few years of trips on the AT. 3 to 5 days at a time. I like the idea of having the flexibility of the blade (BSA so no large fixed blades allowed). It has always done ok but realisticly I could have done without and made do if I had not carried it. I think that a slightly larger model might be better but I wouldnt want to carry it! My next size up is the Estwing 25" size. I am to old to even try to backpack with this one-but it cuts well. Perhaps in a different environment I would get different results. Considering the kind of stuff I do, I would rather carry more water or a thicker sleeping pad over the axe.

I have a gerber gator with an 8 inch handle, the model with the little knife that fits inside the handle. It is a decent hatchet. With a little sharpening it holds a good edge. It carries like a knife and you can hold it like an ulu for all sorts of camp chores. It will even split wood when you baton it. You can chop kindling, make shavings, fuzz sticks, chop up stuff to cook. Some guys use them to field dress game (I have never tried this). I would not try to fell a tree, but for proccesing downed wood, it is a fairly good compromise.

The handle is very short and I have hit my knuckle more than once. I just got a 14 inch handled hatchet and it feels a lot more comfortable.

I would go with a longer handle. The knife that fits inside the handle is not worth it. You have to take it out before you start chopping, otherwise, it will literally "fly off the handle."

i have a Gerber Back Pax and my son has a Buck Hatchet. Normally i am a huge Gerber fan and have a good size collection of them.

however, i find the longer handle on the Buck to be superior to the too-short one on the gerber. other than the handle length, either hatchet will get the work done.

------- Eric

I have both fiskars. If going to be walking very far I would only carry the small one. The larger one is of course the better tool but generally only goes if I am camping from the truck or canoe. You can chop and split with both just more efficiently with the large one. I guess this sounds obvious but you should be fine with the small one unless you are planning on felling a larger tree.

Btw, Sharpguy, whats up with Bsa banning large blades?

Thanks, Josh

I noticed while at the store (Bass Pro Shop) that they had the little axe by itself and with the knife (combo?). The axe alone said Finland and Fiskars on the side of the head, the 'combo' did not. The 'combo' said Taiwan or something similar on the package if you really looked.

Skip the model with the little knife in the handle. Asides from Taiwan, the magnet for the little knife is not strong enough and it flies out of the handle when you use the hatchet. Also, this model is dull out of the box (actually clamshell). Go with the longer handled gerber 14", I think. If you need a small fixed blade, get a good necker or whatever. I pair my gerber pocket ax with a SAK Huntsman. The SAK OHT (one handed trekker) is a good pairing as well. Those little saws are pretty handy.

What do you think of the small axe WITHOUT the knife (the Finland made model)? Is is able to cut/chop adequately? Or... do you think the 14 inch model is substantially better?

I don't have the smaller one, so I don't know how it compares, but I have found the sport axe to be very packable. I didn't like the belt carry method, so I ended up lashing it onto my pack. I usually take a Khukri or a machete these days, so the Gerber is living in my truck now.

The Gator is not the the Fiskars/Gerber.

I know... the Gator is the Taiwan model with the little knife that pops out when you chop with it...

I have my mind set on the 8 or 14 inch models... the latter is called the Sport Axe, I think. Regardless of whether I choose the 8 or 14 inch model, I am only interested in a Finland made Fiskars model. I just want input to compare those 2 models...

It would seem the consensus is that the smaller axe is not as good at chopping and that you can hit your knuckles, the larger 14 inch axe seems to work better, but it is just not as 'packable'...

Would I be correct in this assessment?

I have the 8 inch model and the busted up knuckles to prove it. I just got a 14 inch handle hatchet for a project axe. I am also going to get the next size up Gerber. I really like the blade on on 8 inch Gerber, its just that that handle is too short.

I have an 8 incher and a 14 incher.
go with the 14".
There is only a very slight weight increase with the 14" and the added length greatly increases the comfort and useability.

Makes sense, MBTull and tholiver...

I once modded a Cold Steel Frontier Hawk to about a 10" haft and while it felt good in the hand, it was too short to really be utilized well for utilitarian use...

On the other hand, I have both the Cold Steel Vietnam Tomahawk and an ATC VTAC, both of with have handle lengths around 14"... that feels like a much more usable length!!! The only reason I don't use them is they just aren't axes... the heads are too light to be real effective for serious chopping tasks...

I have had both and the 14" is MUCH better. The head is the same, the real difference is in the weight of the extra 6" of hollow handle. If you can handle the extra length, and the extra 2 oz or so, the 14" model is easily twice as efficient.

I guess what I am saying is +1 to MBTull and tholiver. :D

I have the small one attached to my 511 rush pack for afternoon adventures., I put a small strip of 100 mph tape on the bottom of the handle as insurance to secure the small blade. for small chopping jobs mine works fine.

Don't get me wrong. I like my 8 inch Gerber. I carry it and use it like one of those large chopper knives that are so popular on the WSS sub-forum. I think that a 14 inch handle is better and safer. However, there are times when I want a small chopper and a hatchet with a 14inch handle on my belt is not appropriate. It is great for day hikes, airgun walking and when I shoot 3Ds (nothing digs an arrow out of a stump better than my Gerber, made in Taiwan or not)

The 8 inch handle will work for camp chores and small chopping tasks. If you try to go after larger pieces of wood, you run the risk of busting a knuckle.

Back