Gerber/Fiskars 'axe'...

OK...let me tell you this then...

I would be putting this axe that I am considering buying in a day pack. This day pack is in case of emergency. I would only use the axe in case of such an emergency, and maybe for short day hikes, too... on occasion. But the main reason for the purchase is for the emergency kit in the day pack, to slide under a seat in the car. Most of the time it will just 'be there' in case of emergency...

So would the smaller one maybe be best??? I thinking maybe yes???

If the 14 inch is a pain to carry on day hikes and such, then when you really need it, it will be under your seat instead of on your carry gear.
I would rather use the 14 inch but the 8 inch rides nice and handles chopping chores quite nicely.
On my air gun walks I carry either a Benjamin 392 modded with a butterfly valve, or one of my RWS model 48's a 22 cal or 25 cal.

I knew they made .22 cal airguns, but was unaware they made .25 cal... Hmmmmm...
Yeah, when I hike I would be more likely to leave the axe in the daypack for the hike if it was the smaller one...

Glock17JHP - check out www.pyramidair.com they make airguns up to .50 cal which can be used for large game.

As far as 14 inch or 8 inch handle, the 8 inch carries on your belt like a knife. If you carry an 8 inch on your belt and a SAK Huntsman or Trekker or any SAK with a saw, you will be able to harvest wood with no problem. You will also be able to cut kindling, split wood (with a baton) pound in a tent peg, slice rope and cordage, make a figure 4 trap, prepare food and generally any camp or wilderness chore that you could need.

I make a modern Nessmuk trio with a small Gerber (8 inch) a SAK Hunstman and a folding saw. I also carry a Buck 110 for show and a Wally World special fixed balde knife for rough use like digging and prying.

An axe with an 8 inch handle on your belt is worth a whole lot more than one with a 14 inch handle in the truck or in a pack that you are not wearing.

MBTull,

Can you tell me more about the " a SAK Huntsman or Trekker or any SAK with a saw"?

I am not familiar by name to those items...

BTW, checked out the link to the airguns... I may have to spend some tax $$$ there...

Glock17JHP

Just google "swiss army knife wood saw" and you will see a bunch of different models with the wood saw. It is a good saw, if somewhat small. The back makes a great surface for striking a fire steel.

I have a swiss army knife huntsman. There are a lot of other models that have the saw. A lot of guys swear by the Farmer and the one handed trekker (OHT)

OK, I looked it up...

I have the Victorinox Champion (discontinued), it has something like 20+ blades & tools... including a wood saw and a hack saw (yes, for metal)!!! You are so right, the saw really does work!!! I sliced a pie-shaped triangle out of a toilet seat one time (don't ask, I was younger and bored)... I do have that in my emergency pack, too...

Here is a link:

http://www.smartknives.com/Victorinox-Knives/Victorinox-Champion.htm

Oh, and mine is a 'retired' model, and according to the website, it may be a rare version, too!!! I sent them an email, since it asked for contact if you have rare versions... :D

Last edited:
Back